HSCP a no brainer for prior service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KilgoreSnout

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently on active duty (non-medical) and working on a post bac with the intention of going to medical school. From everything I have read and know about myself, I will be much happier on the military side of the house. It's been a great experience for me these past years that I truly see myself doing 20. With that being said, is the HSCP a no brainer for someone who is prior service, committed to medicine, and plannign on doing 20 years? My thoughts are as follows:

1) I'll have 6-8 years active duty before beginning the program. Then 4 years of medical school on HSCP active duty + doing 4-6 years of a military residency + the incurred 4 year commitment. Am I missing something, or would I have the chance to become a fully certified doctor with only a 4 year commitment that would coincide with my completion of 20 years? (it is my understanding that mil residency does not take away from or add to service obligation, and that these years count toward retirement)

2) In my situation, is there much reason to consider USUHS over a HSCP civilian program, considering that USUHS years do not immediately count toward retirement?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I'm currently on active duty (non-medical) and working on a post bac with the intention of going to medical school. From everything I have read and know about myself, I will be much happier on the military side of the house. It's been a great experience for me these past years that I truly see myself doing 20. With that being said, is the HSCP a no brainer for someone who is prior service, committed to medicine, and plannign on doing 20 years? My thoughts are as follows:

1) I'll have 6-8 years active duty before beginning the program. Then 4 years of medical school on HSCP active duty + doing 4-6 years of a military residency + the incurred 4 year commitment. Am I missing something, or would I have the chance to become a fully certified doctor with only a 4 year commitment that would coincide with my completion of 20 years? (it is my understanding that mil residency does not take away from or add to service obligation, and that these years count toward retirement)

2) In my situation, is there much reason to consider USUHS over a HSCP civilian program, considering that USUHS years do not immediately count toward retirement?
Only issue with HSCP is you have to pay the tuition, but you do get active duty E6/E7 pay with housing/food allowance

Only issue with HSCP is you have to pay the tuition, but you do get active duty E6/E7 pay with housing/food allowance

And there are a comparatively few HSCP spots available. But I agree that program makes the most sense for prior service people.

If I were prior service, applying to medical school, was certain about military medicine, and had a way to cover cost of medical school then HSCP would be my #1.

Reactions: 1 users

Not really all that impactful toward the final decision if you are talking HSCP vs USUHS but residency does add time toward your commitment, it’s just surved concurrently with your medical school commitment. Regardless, I think HSCP is probably the way to go in your situation if you can swing it.