HSCP and Residency years towards active duty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unlucky Asian

not unlucky, possibly asian
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking through a lot of the posts here, but the topic of how the years in residency count/don't count towards AD hasn't really come up much. According to what I read on some posts it seems that HSCP gives you 4 years that count towards the 20 during medical school. I'm not sure about residency, but it sounds like that might count towards AD if you are in military residency. Is this right? If it's not, can you guys clarify this for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Copied/pasted from this year's instructions:

1. Civilian Sponsored: If selected, you are on paid AD status while training in a civilian facility to which you have applied and been accepted. While sponsored, you will incur an additional ADSC which will be consecutive with any previously existing ADSCs. Your time in training does count towards retirement and for pay purposes, but you may not accept any salary from the training institution.
2. Civilian Redeferred: Redeferment in a civilian facility. While in deferred training, you will not incur any additional ADSC nor pay off any of your current ADSC. Your time in the program does not count towards retirement or for pay purposes. You receive your salary from your training institution.

Couldn't find anywhere in that instruction or in any AFI whether an AD residency will count towards retirement. When I asked one of the GME program managers this question, he said that it does NOT. I'm hoping he was wrong about that, since it seems like someone would be more of a soldier/sailor/airman during an AD residency than civ sponsored, and you get credit for those... But if anyone can show one way or the other in a reg, that would be appreciated.

I've been looking through a lot of the posts here, but the topic of how the years in residency count/don't count towards AD hasn't really come up much. According to what I read on some posts it seems that HSCP gives you 4 years that count towards the 20 during medical school. I'm not sure about residency, but it sounds like that might count towards AD if you are in military residency. Is this right? If it's not, can you guys clarify this for me?
You're correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you on active duty? .....if the answer is yes then the time counts towards retirement. That is the easy way to figure it out.

Very few situations violate that rule.(eg USUHS, Service Academies, etc)

Hscp years count towards pay and retirement, but not promotion

HPSP years do not count towards pay, retirement, or promotion

USUHS years count towards pay, but not retirement or promotion

Military and civilian sponsored residency years count towards pay, retirement, and promotion.

Civilian deferred residency does not count towards pay or retirement. I believe you still get time towards promotion but I am not sure.

Hscp years count towards pay and retirement, but not promotion

HPSP years do not count towards pay, retirement, or promotion

USUHS years count towards pay, but not retirement or promotion

Military and civilian sponsored residency years count towards pay, retirement, and promotion.

Civilian deferred residency does not count towards pay or retirement. I believe you still get time towards promotion but I am not sure.

They count toward retirement once you hit 20 years in service.

It absolutely counts toward promotion, and for me at least, it has also counted toward pay. At my command, everyone who did a civilian deferred residency has had those years count toward pay. I initially was under the impression that I would start off at zero years of experience, and even called the Air Force Personnel Center to make sure that my paycheck was correct. But as I said before, my civilian deferred residency did count toward pay. I'm sure that someone else will chime in here and say how they got nothing.