HSPS and Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenfromdablock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted Dec 2nd...but is it the right time to apply for HSPS (just to keep my options open)?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted Dec 2nd...but is it the right time to apply for HSPS (just to keep my options open)?
To be absolutely honest with you, it is considered a little late but it never hurts to contact your local health care recruiter. Do so as soon as you can though if you are serious about it! Best of luck.

If I want to apply for the three-year HSPS as a D1, would it be best to contact the recruiter now? Or wait until fall when I actually start school?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a higher chance of getting the 3-year hpsp if you're on the waitlist. For the army, the 3 year hpsp normally boards in october and waitlist people are given preference.

I'm in the process of applying for the hpsp for the army and would be satisfied with 3 or 4 year :p

How do you get on the waitlist? Would I have to apply early (now) to get on the waitlist for the October board meeting?

You will have to apply for HPSP 4 year scholarships and if they run out, you will be put on the waitlist. However, this waitlist is not rolling, its in order of merit.

Make sure you're physically fit enough, because you will have to pass MEPS before you can even get your hpsp sent to the boards.

Because if you looked into the program earlier, you would have known that the best time to apply is typically by October, it takes about 2 months to get everything processed typically. The last thing to submit is the LoA.

I just finished my application and it took about a month to finish everything. Next board is on 1/28 or 29th (I forgot) and there are about 58ish spots left right now. If you apply right now you will be able to meet the board after 1/28. I am not really sure how many spots will remain after 1/28.

Okay well it's not like I knew I was going to be accepted all the way back in October.

I probably won't even START the process and speak with a recruiter until next week. Am I doomed?

Okay well it's not like I knew I was going to be accepted all the way back in October.

I probably won't even START the process and speak with a recruiter until next week. Am I doomed?

No need to get frustrated with the people here, everything they've said has been accurate. People who are interested in this program start their application as early as July just because they know it takes a while to get all the paperwork filled out, physical scheduled, and the lack of eagerness by a lot of recruiters tends to slow it down drastically. If you really want to do this then you should start tomorrow by calling your recruiter and getting the ball rolling. I think if a recruiter was extremely adamant about it you could complete all the paperwork and get a physical in about 2 weeks depending on your schedule (also not sure how long the background check takes though). What makes it take so long is extra paperwork you may need from you general physician about certain surgeries or medication you take. I know they give out quite few scholarships in January and I think they usually give out the remaining in February. Maybe a couple in March if someone ends up changing their mind and not accepting it. Either way if it is something you want to do you need to get started asap, some people may even tell you its too late for this year but with the apparent push back for the first boards meeting this month you may have a shot.

I just finished my application and it took about a month to finish everything. Next board is on 1/28 or 29th (I forgot) and there are about 58ish spots left right now. If you apply right now you will be able to meet the board after 1/28. I am not really sure how many spots will remain after 1/28.

Are you trying for Navy? My Army recruiter visited yesterday to finish up everything because he said everything needed to be done by today (1/8). I don't know if that means the stuff needs to be turned in by today or if the actual board decision was today.

To the others wondering if it's too late, there is still time for the Army HPSP (maybe Navy too, idk) if you do it now. They give out a fair number of scholarships and not many people apply. My recruiter told me he didn't think all of them were given out last year.

This thread might help if you have questions:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/military-hpsp.1044209/

Also, if you can show the recruiter you're serious and are timely in your responses to their emails, calls, etc., then they're much more likely to be prompt in helping you through the paperwork, MEPS, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

I started on the process all the way back in August as soon as I was done with my DAT. I am scheduled to get commissioned this weekend for the Army HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well then forget it guys. I'm out LOL

Well, even if you are late with the paperwork you at least have some percentage of a chance. If you don't even bother to apply then you have zero percent chance. Wouldn't you rather have a chance of getting a $500,000 scholarship rather than no chance at all?

No because I don't like being in a rush. And I was iffy about this anyway.

No because I don't like being in a rush. And I was iffy about this anyway.

If you get accepted for it, I don't think that means you have to take it. Honestly you should go for it, and if you decide you don't want it, turn it down instead of wishing you had done it and can't get it. Just my $0.02.

If you get accepted for it, I don't think that means you have to take it. Honestly you should go for it, and if you decide you don't want it, turn it down instead of wishing you had done it and can't get it. Just my $0.02.

If I am going for the 3 year, then it's stupid because I would still have $100k in debt...for that extra year that I didn't get waived off.

If I am going for the 3 year, then it's stupid because I would still have $100k in debt...for that extra year that I didn't get waived off.
Sounds better than 400k of debt

Reactions: 1 users

I was talking about the 4 year, that you could still go for it now because there are more boards and it is still possible to get the scholarship for the Army or Navy. You won't have as good a shot, but it is still possible - especially since you're already accepted.

I think you're also approaching this from the wrong direction. Sounds like you're thinking, "if it doesn't pay all 400k, then it's not worth it and I'd rather pay it off myself." That's fine, but if you're thinking about the HPSP because you're worried about debt, the interest on 400k is going to be MUCH more than that on 100k, like Troyvdg said. Even a 3 year scholarship would be worth it if you're really concerned about the debt.

For example, let's say you wanted to do 100k debt at 6.8% interest for a 5 year loan. You're looking at paying ~18k in interest; 10 years = ~38k. If you have a 400k loan at 6.8% interest for 15 years (unrealistic?), ~$230k interest. 20 years = 330k. Just trying to put 100k VS 400k in perspective (someone correct me if the numbers are wrong). Also note that you can pay your loans faster than this.

If you don't want the to do the military, then don't. But if you're anxious about the debt and thought the military would be able to help, you have nothing to lose filling out the forms except a couple of days time doing paperwork and duck-walking at MEPS (but yes, there is a lot of correspondence involved, and it's a several week process).

Last edited:
I was talking about the 4 year, that you could still go for it now because there are more boards and it is still possible to get the scholarship for the Army or Navy. You won't have as good a shot, but it is still possible - especially since you're already accepted.

I think you're also approaching this from the wrong direction. Sounds like you're thinking, "if it doesn't pay all 400k, then it's not worth it and I'd rather pay it off myself." That's fine, but if you're thinking about the HPSP because you're worried about debt, the interest on 400k is going to be MUCH more than that on 100k, like Troyvdg said. Even a 3 year scholarship would be worth it if you're really concerned about the debt.

For example, let's say you wanted to do 100k debt at 6.8% interest for a 5 year loan. You're looking at paying ~18k in interest; 10 years = ~38k. If you have a 400k loan at 6.8% interest for 15 years (unrealistic?), ~$230k interest. 20 years = 330k. Just trying to put 100k VS 400k in perspective (someone correct me if the numbers are wrong). Also note that you can pay your loans faster than this.

If you don't want the to do the military, then don't. But if you're anxious about the debt and thought the military would be able to help, you have nothing to lose filling out the forms except a couple of days time doing paperwork and duck-walking at MEPS (but yes, there is a lot of correspondence involved, and it's a several week process).

Or you can just do IBR/PAYE right? LOL

But yeah, I go here? http://www.airforce.com/healthcare/dentist

Last edited:
if you like the idea of paying off debt 25 years after dental school..sure. But again, this depends on the school's COA. The military isn't for everyone. G/L

You should do what you want. The military option is not for everyone and yes you can do IBR/PAYE but like this thread has shown you probably have not done much research on those programs either and know the pros/cons to them. In certain situations IBR can be of great benefit but in most situations I've imagined it would be either worse than regular payments or much worse. There are IBR calculators that you can play with but I would suggest googling information on them or searching through these threads to see what others have said about them.

Sorry but this is irking me. It's HPSP. Health Professions Scholarship Program. Also, I wouldn't bother applying for the AF as it is by far the most selective as they have very few spots (I think usually around only 12). Army is your best bet as they have the most spots. Just search Army HPSP dental, click find a recruiter link, and call them up.

Reactions: 4 users
You might be deployed some on a ship for the Navy (idk since I applied for Army), but even in the Navy, I'm guessing you'd mainly be stationed in Navy hospitals doing dental work, not on a ship.

I don't to be deployed on a ship. My location matters.

Where did you get ship from the Army? To be honest, this scholarship, in any branch, does not seem to fit you...

You might be deployed some on a ship for the Navy (idk since I applied for Army), but even in the Navy, I'm guessing you'd mainly be stationed in Navy hospitals doing dental work, not on a ship.

There's a decent/somewhat high chance you will be placed on a ship for at least part of your commitment when it comes to the Navy.

Usually if you land on a ship in the Navy, it's a carrier and you get bonus pay. A carrier is not a bad gig, it's a floating city basically. Better there than Diego Garcia for instance.