HST interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmnop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you w/harvard interviews are interviewing for the HST program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
RunMimi said:
Yup. I'm interviewing for both actually. The first HST interview date is Nov. 16th and they interview every 3-4 weeks on Tuesdays.

What is HST? I think I may like it.

i'm going to have the HST interview on 11/16 too (already had NP). if they only interview once every 3-4 weeks i wonder how many people they end up interviewing total??

RunMimi said:
Well, probably not many. The program only takes 40 people a year, right?

Yeah, I heard they take 40 people, and 30 end up going (of which 25 or so are MDs and the rest MD/PhDs).

Jules, when was your NP interview? i'm interviewing there soon, how is it? stressful? okay? any advice?

thanks.

MK

The interviewers (I had 2 faculty) were really nice, it was pretty chill. They really just want to get to know you. The students there were really down to earth too. I think that was the best interview experience I've had so far.

thanks jules! that's nice to hear about the low stress and all...do u know, by chance, when they started interviewing?

MaKiaveli said:
thanks jules! that's nice to hear about the low stress and all...do u know, by chance, when they started interviewing?

They said the first day of interviews was something like 10/22.

do they have a hosting program for students?

Cat's Meow said:
do they have a hosting program for students?

Yes, they do. Once the Office of Admissions confirms your interview date, they usually send out a list of hosts, or a student contact person. If you didnt get this, I would email or call Admissions. HMS students are more than happy to host you and answer the bazillion questions an interviewee might have.

oniwindu said:
Yes, they do. Once the Office of Admissions confirms your interview date, they usually send out a list of hosts, or a student contact person. If you didnt get this, I would email or call Admissions. HMS students are more than happy to host you and answer the bazillion questions and interviewee might have.

Thanks and God bless.

*bump*

From reading the interview feedbacks on SDN, I though that the HST interviews are group interviews (as in you're being interviewed by 2-3 people at once). Anyone care to comment on the interview format for the HST program? How is it different fron New Pathway and are the interviews as research oriented as people say?

I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on the the interviews for either HST or NP....I was told by someone in HSM Admissions that they are usually closed filed because the faculty member gets your file a day or two before your interview....?

krelian said:
*bump*

From reading the interview feedbacks on SDN, I though that the HST interviews are group interviews (as in you're being interviewed by 2-3 people at once). Anyone care to comment on the interview format for the HST program? How is it different fron New Pathway and are the interviews as research oriented as people say?

CreativeWriter said:
I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on the the interviews for either HST or NP....I was told by someone in HSM Admissions that they are usually closed filed because the faculty member gets your file a day or two before your interview....?

I interviewed for new pathway only and both of my interviews were with faculty and both were closed. the interviewers did get my file beforehand but don't read it- they didn't even know when/where i graduated from, or at least they acted like they didn't. at the end, the opened up my file and read through quickly to see if we hadn't touched on any major ec's, etc. it was very low stress and friendly.

hey congrats on the dartmouth-brown acceptance! i interviewed for that two weeks ago and i'm hoping to hear some good news.....

lmnop said:
Just wondering if any of you w/harvard interviews are interviewing for the HST program?
An interviewer at Columbia told my friend that if he got into both Columbia and Harvard to go to Harvard. I think that speaks enough about HMS.

CreativeWriter said:
You are class of 2009 for Michigan Med School, eh?

The interviewer at HMS got my file 10 minutes before my interview. I delivered it to him.

I can't say enough good things about HMS. If you get in and don't go there, you are crazy.

That being said, they rejected me last year, haha! :p

Does anyone know if HST students take classes with NP students? Or is there no interaction whatsoever?

Thanks!

paco said:
Does anyone know if HST students take classes with NP students? Or is there no interaction whatsoever?

Thanks!

at my interview, they said that for the first two years, np and HST take different classes. i'm sure they see each other in the dorms, eating area, etc though. they also are in a separate society (ie not holmes, castle, cannon or peabody). np students do take classes with the dental students though.

CarleneM said:
at my interview, they said that for the first two years, np and HST take different classes. i'm sure they see each other in the dorms, eating area, etc though. they also are in a separate society (ie not holmes, castle, cannon or peabody). np students do take classes with the dental students though.
They all can live in vanderbilt.

Each year, several dental students try to transfer into NP during their second year (to go on medical rotations) ... :rolleyes: