Huge difference in GPA between official transcript and TMDSAS calculated GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mterres

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little worried about this cycle. I graduated from my university with a 3.72 GPA. I have nothing but A's and B's on my transcript with the exception of a D where I retook the class the class and got an A. The problem is I studied abroad and came back with 3 C's and 1F and that brought my GPA down to a 3.41 on the TMDSAS GPA calculator. The reason I'm worried is cause I read that the schools don't look at your transcript GPA, they just look at the GPA calculated by TMDSAS or AADSAS (I'm a texas resident). On my DAT I scored a 19AA, 20TS and 20PAT. What do you guys think my chances are of getting interviews? I'm planning on applying to 13 out of state schools and the 3 instate schools. I am currently doing breast cancer research under the dean of the Texas Tech graduate school in my hometown to enrich my application.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a pretty good shot still. Your stats are average, maybe slightly below for some, so you'll have to make it up with your EC's. If you have an upward trend, that helps a lot, too. I think it would be a good move to explain why you did so bad during your study abroad on the additional essay, otherwise admissions will get the idea that you went as a vacation rather than an educational experience.

I am a little worried about this cycle. I graduated from my university with a 3.72 GPA. I have nothing but A's and B's on my transcript with the exception of a D where I retook the class the class and got an A. The problem is I studied abroad and came back with 3 C's and 1F and that brought my GPA down to a 3.41 on the TMDSAS GPA calculator. The reason I'm worried is cause I read that the schools don't look at your transcript GPA, they just look at the GPA calculated by TMDSAS or AADSAS (I'm a texas resident). On my DAT I scored a 19AA, 20TS and 20PAT. What do you guys think my chances are of getting interviews? I'm planning on applying to 13 out of state schools and the 3 instate schools. I am currently doing breast cancer research under the dean of the Texas Tech graduate school in my hometown to enrich my application.

Sorry not to add salt to the wound but that D that you turned into an A wont be an A either. There is no grade replacement, only averaging.

That being said I've seen plenty of people with lower stats get an interview. Don't stress out too much haha

When I first went to go meet my study abroad professors 2 out of the 4 professors straight out told me "I know you're not here to study and I don't blame you. Go explore my beautiful country." I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia so I spent my entire time there traveling instead of studying. My mentor already told me she plans to include me as an author in her publication so I'm hoping we get published before they start handing out interviews. I also got another opportunity to get published under Ph.D. student as soon as I improve my western blotting skills. I've already shadowed 2 periodontists, an orthodontist, and a general dentist. The orthodontist I shadowed is the president of the Texas Orthodontic Association and I managed to get a letter of rec from him. I have plenty of community service hours around 100+. What else should I do to strengthen my application?