Human Resource

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm completely wiped from a loooonnnng day, but I wanna broach the topic of how critical it is to have the 'right personalities' in the pharmacy.

I never had enough respect for HR, until I worked in a pharmacy. Now my estimation cannot be measured. It's critical and good HR people are amazing. It's so important to have the right people to make pharmacy/health care work. Under pressure, dealing with money, life/death. It's nuts.

This jumps out at me, bc I'm working with a superb crew of individuals. I've evaluated strengths/weaknesses and found that they all have them.

It's crazy, but in retail you can be too caring. One pharmacist i've worked with is a remarkable, caring person. Definitely in pharmacy for the right reasons, but she tries to sort out every script in terms of taking care of the pt monetarily and medically. Thus it takes unsaid person, thousands of years to verify. People don't get their scripts till longer or perhaps not being able to get them at all if they leave during the long wait and don't return later that day to pick them up. To me that's what you need to address to run a successful pharmacy. Got have the right tools for the job. I lost a pharm manager who was amazing technically: knew every drug, interaction, otc or otherwise for general medical maladies, amazing at verifying, but couldn't run the pharmacy to save his life or it turns out his job. Being a pharm manager is a tough nut.

Point of the story: We are in an occupation that is heavily knowledge, skill set oriented. That's something that must always be considered and refined.

The rest of the economy is becoming more like that, but perhaps pharmacy more than any other.

Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy is a strange profession, in that in retail, at least, you need to have both good scientific knowledge, and good administrative/business skills. I just got done with a Federal/Nevada Pharmacy law course...it's amazing all the things you need to do (legally) to operate a pharmacy. I can tell you right now...I'd make a POOR retail pharmacy manager.

As it is, I'm pretty slow on filling...I count twice on everything (three times on controls cuz I know the patients go home and count them for you ;) ), check NDCs on the bottle, label, and look at the original script...that's all the pharmacist's job, but I hate making mistakes. And you know what? That's just "blindly filling" a script. I don't even stop to think about the propriety of a medication/dosage/directions. I can see myself "caring too much" as a retail pharmacist. I can also see myself neglecting administrative duties.