Humming during the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BeatrixKiddo

I've been noticing when I read passages I usually make noises like "hmmm" while thinking or sometimes I just like to read the passages outloud to myself, not like loud but like mubbling kind of, are you allowed to do this on test day or will they kick you out or something? Can I request a solitary sound proof room? Let me know if you sometimes read aloud as well. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, you can't. If I were sitting next to you, I'd slap you. You can request a room, but that'd be stupid because on your transcript they'd mark you down as "special conditions" when taking the MCAT, which will hurt you when applying to med school.

No, you can't. If I were sitting next to you, I'd slap you. You can request a room, but that'd be stupid because on your transcript they'd mark you down as "special conditions" when taking the MCAT, which will hurt you when applying to med school.

:laugh:

Yes, I want to kill people that even just breath loud next to me, let alone hum or talk (no offense). I just find myself very easily distracted, and thats a whole other problem on it's own. Gonna have to figure out how to deal with it for test day.

Also, in class some girl was talking about some guy who was laughing quietly during his MCAT. now THAT would make me mad :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
You get the soundproof headphones though which actually work really well to filter out all those noises.

Yeah, if I could hear you at all I'd be giving you the death stare! I just took an Orgo exam a couple weeks ago in which I sat next to this guy that must have been on some kind of stimulant (not to mention that he was cheating with a little note sheet) but he was acting like a spooked horse the entire exam. He kept throwing his head back, twitching and stomping the ground. I seriously was afraid of him (He was a big athletic looking guy). I know that he was distracting me so much that it took me probably 20 min longer to complete the test!

So, yeah. To be considerate of those sitting around you, try to keep it as quiet as possible. Maybe just move your lips without the mumbling.

I think if you were truly disruptive you might be asked to leave. This happened when a friend was taking the MCAT a few years back ... some guy had some kind of breakdown or something and started talking to himself pretty loudly (enough to distract all the people around him); when they removed him, he started yelling about some kind of conspiracy going on.

what about discretely making manual right hand rule visualizations? by discrete, I mean cup my left hand over the right for obscurity

lol, yea I would have to punch the guy or girl too, its mcat i don't care about gender, did that next to me.

You get the soundproof headphones though which actually work really well to filter out all those noises.

Do they really supply these if you request for them? I don't know if I would use them even though I get easily distracted by a tapping pencil or foot. Sometimes I can't think when it is too quiet, like with the soundproof headphones. I guess I am kind of weird...

Do they really supply these if you request for them? I don't know if I would use them even though I get easily distracted by a tapping pencil or foot. Sometimes I can't think when it is too quiet, like with the soundproof headphones. I guess I am kind of weird...

They were already at every test station where I took it.

omg...I too would smash the person's head into the computer screen if they started doing that...

I also find leg-shakers really damn annoying...freaking adults can't keep still for one hour!!

omg...I too would smash the person's head into the computer screen if they started doing that...

I also find leg-shakers really damn annoying...freaking adults can't keep still for one hour!!

yes leg shakers......and ppl who click their pens....I WILL FREAKIN KILL YOU!!!!!!!

what about discretely making manual right hand rule visualizations? by discrete, I mean cup my left hand over the right for obscurity
I wouldn't do that all because what if you remind someone of the right hand rule and they get that point over you?

Dude, I really really can't help reading aloud, I think I perform a lot better when I do it outloud because I have to reread things over and over if I do it all in my head.

If they kick me out would they give me a refund?

P.S. ****While we're on this note, does anyone know of someone being kicked out of a Kaplan prep course? I really want a refund and I'm wondering if I disrupt the class enough would they refund me and let me get out.

I think your testing center should have privacy barriers, so you can't see what the person next to you is doing. Should have no problem using your right hand rule :) Also, you get big orange noise reducing headphones, so small annoying background noise shouldn't be a problem. My ears were feeling hot so I took off the headphones, and it was still surprisingly quiet.

I wouldn't do that all because what if you remind someone of the right hand rule and they get that point over you?

Dude, I really really can't help reading aloud, I think I perform a lot better when I do it outloud because I have to reread things over and over if I do it all in my head.

If they kick me out would they give me a refund?

P.S. ****While we're on this note, does anyone know of someone being kicked out of a Kaplan prep course? I really want a refund and I'm wondering if I disrupt the class enough would they refund me and let me get out.

LOL, no, they will not kick you out. They like $$$$$. And this year their mcat enrollment is low. If you do disrupt classes, everyone will just hate you... and you probably won't get much out of your test prep.

You can only get a refund if you score LOWER on the actual mcats than you Kaplan diagnostic. Most of the time they just let you repeat the course for free.

hear that sound? it's your money flushing down the drain... along with that green dot.

LOL, no, they will not kick you out. They like $$$$$. And this year their mcat enrollment is low. If you do disrupt classes, everyone will just hate you... and you probably won't get much out of your test prep.

You can only get a refund if you score LOWER on the actual mcats than you Kaplan diagnostic. Most of the time they just let you repeat the course for free.

hear that sound? it's your money flushing down the drain... along with that green dot.

One question: What's the green dot.

Man, you're probably right, I don't want to piss off the people in my class, most of them are minorities, so yeah. I like my tires unslashed.

Seriously though, I feel ripped off right now. I hope God will magically give me a 40.

Looking at some of the replies in this thread...

Jesus Christ people, you wanna become DOCTORS?

I can just see it now...

*Tremoring Parkinson's patient comes in for a checkup*
Doctor - "Can you stop shaking for a moment I need to concentrate to read these charts."
Patient - "S-s-s-sorry.. I can't-t-t h-h-help it."
Doctor - "Argh for f****'s sake STOP IT"
Patient - "S-s-s-"
Doctor - "HULK ANGRY!! HULK SMASH!!!!"
*Stabs patient repeatedly with hypodermic needle*

Good luck trying to finish the verbal section with that kind of method :smuggrin: