Humor in secondary essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinklikeaproton2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working on some of my secondary essays and thought of a short, playful one-liner I think flows well at the end of a secondary. I was wondering if applicants ever use light-hearted humor and if something like that is appreciated by ADCOMs/makes them smile (if delivered well of course). Or would this just make me look like I'm not taking the process seriously?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been working on some of my secondary essays and thought of a short, playful one-liner I think flows well at the end of a secondary. I was wondering if applicants ever use light-hearted humor and if something like that is appreciated by ADCOMs/makes them smile (if delivered well of course). Or would this just make me look like I'm not taking the process seriously?
Just as intended humor here on SDN can be a) interpreted literally, b) misunderstood, c) seen as lame or annoying, or d) enjoyed, your odds of a 100% successful interpretation of your intent are not great.

Reactions: 5 users
Leave the humor for the interviews if the interviewer seems to enjoy getting to know you.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I find most people aren't as funny as they think they are. And if you are actually as funny as you think you are, I find most people aren't skilled enough writers to effectively convey humor in a written manner. And if you are a skilled enough writer to convey humor, you leave that joke up to the interpretation of the reader that they A) Recognize that you are making a joke, B) Get the joke, C) Find the joke funny, D) Are not offended by the joke.

Reactions: 1 users
winky face emojis after the joke

/s

I get that life needs humor... But if you are vying for a competitive position that is based on professionalism... hold the humor.

Unless you're filling out USC's essays I'd avoid the humor.

Now that you've been advised not to do it, you should share with us what you were going to say

Reactions: 1 user
I actually disagree with the above (albeit on a provisional basis) - I think as long as the joke is clearly relevant and has no chance of being seen as offensive or crass/unprofessional there is no harm in including it. It can really make a reader feel you as a person which is something they often miss on when reading hundreds of fastidiously polished applications. You just want to control the "worst-case scenario" to the reader sees the joke, doesn't find it funny but doesn't think less of you because of it.

OP grew up on a farm (thinking this has no chance of being seen as being offensive): Why did the chicken cross the road? Ans: Because she saw a rooster on the other side.

OP's app falls onto the desk of an Adcom who happens to be a feminist also (could happen) and takes offense because the joke plays into the stereotype that a female needs a male in order to conform to societal expectations, blah blah blah...

Too risky...

Reactions: 1 user