humor me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trying

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asked and answered a million times...but with a 3.95/33, how much will my chances of getting into a medical school be hurt if i take the august mcat and then submit my application?

Members don't see this ad.

dont bother retaking

With a 3.95/33, you'll probably get into several medical schools. However, the list of schools you get into may not be as highly ranked as the list of schools you could get into if you were to apply with an april score.

trying said:
Asked and answered a million times...but with a 3.95/33, how much will my chances of getting into a medical school be hurt if i take the august mcat and then submit my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
trying said:

those are my exact stats and i had no problems getting interviews or acceptances (i am still waiting from a couple top tier schools though).

trying said:

Is the 33 wildly imbalanced i.e. 5, 14, 14? Otherwise why would you retake it? You already have stats which should be adequate for getting an interview at some of the more competitive schools, and you risk choking and ending up with a noncompetitive score.
Assuming you do have a valid reason to retake, it seems that the people who take the MCAT in April and can apply earlier have a fairly significant advantage over those who take the test in August. While your numbers are good enough that it may not make a difference (assuming you would break 33), it seems strategically foolish.

29.3984% decrease from optimal. That's a rough estimate, because I don't want to describe the function that would accurately describe the chances, based on MCAT score from the August admission.

similar stats and doing just fine.

trying said:

1. You can submit your application before taking the second MCAT, and then submit those later.

2. There is no reason to retake the MCAT, unless one of your scores was under 10.

3. There is no excuse whatsoever to not submit your applications in the summer.

Agreed with sockandmittens...similar figures and no regrets. Retaking in August will not only be a risk in the off-case that you do the same or worse, but it also would be kind of pointless self-sabotage because then some schools might not look at you until after they get the august scores, at which point they've looked at over half the interview pool and probably booked a whole lot of interviews (example school: Michigan, where they invited me in August for an interview date in late Dec at earliest!!). Since interviews themselves are rolling--even at "non-rolling" admissions schools--you don't want to put yourself behind like that.

i have a 3.6/34 and only 1 acceptance!

i got NO interviews at 'good' schools i applied to (penn, emory, cornell, pitt)
my PSU interview said my recommendations were 'great.' and they 'really highlighted me as a person' rather than just someone talking about me.

so i don't konw where i went wrong
oh yeah, i applied in august, so my apps were late.

3.6/33 and one acceptance, which I'm perfectly happy with. Apply early like me and good luck!

while I had similar grades/mcat as you, I decided to retake the MCAT in August and improved significantly to a 39. While I do feel it put me behind in the application process, i still had ALOT of interviews (starting in the very beginning of October when all they had were my original MCAT scores) and ending in February. Even though the bulk of my interviews were in Dec. and January, I have been accepted into some very competitive programs and i'm still waiting to hear from a few non-rolling schools. One word of caution: I feel that I was VERY LUCKY to have gone up so much on my score and it was worth the risk for me. A friend of mine was not as fortunate and went down, which in reality, happens more often than having the score go up (the statistics are somewhere on the AMCAS website). It is a huge gamble, but if you really feel that you were an underachiever on your first one, then go for it. I just really wasn't satisfied with my first test and knew that I would always wonder "what if...." if I hadn't repeated the test. Good luck on your decision :)

You'll be fine. I have similar stats and have done well in the application process.

Trying, I wouldn't worry about it...apply and you'll be fine! Good luck! :thumbup:

Do not retake the MCAT unless you think you can improve to a 36 or greater. Retaking and scoring lower would be a disaster.