humoral and cell mediated responses (some confusion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooperwooper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm working through feralis notes right now and he seems to not have gone too deeply into the humoral and cell mediate responses. I'll post what I have gotten from his notes -- is this really all you need to know for the biology portion? I'm just mainly concerned with the b/t cell and how they work for this part.

b cells originate and mature in bone marrow and contain 5 types of immunoglobins (G A M E D ), or antibodies. when they attach to antigens, they mark for macrophage or natural killer cell phagocytosis, lysis by complement proteins, agglutination of antigenic substance, or chemical inactivation (if a toxin). then proliferation occurs through clonal selection into 2 types of b cells memory and plasma. memory b cells don't release antibodies but perform 2ndary response. plasma b cells produce specific antibodies.

t cells originate in bone marrow and mature in thymus (destroyed if they attack self antigens), and go to lymphoid tissue. produce 4 types of cells upon binding to antigen (again with clonal selection): cytotoxic (releases perforin to lyse cells), helper t cells (stimulates b cells, cytotoxic t cells, and surppresor t cells), suppressor t cells, and memory t cells (like memory b)

Here's also what I'm confused about:

1) what activates B cells? Feralis says B cells are activated by binding to antigen but it doesn't seem to go over the whole story. A source online says "In a primary antibody response, naïve helper T cells are activated in a peripheral lymphoid organ by binding to a foreign peptide bound to a class II MHCprotein on the surface of a dendritic cell. Once activated, the effector helper T cell can then activate a B cell that specifically displays the same complex of foreign peptide and class II MHC protein on its surface ". True?

2) how does the production of interleukins by Helper B cells stimulate proliferation of t cells/b cells if you need to have clonal selection so you're making cells that recognize the right type of antigen? Will interleukins just proliferate every b/t cell it can find?

Members don't see this ad.