Hunter College Post Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skylar90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has any of you guys ever applied to the Hunter Pre med Post Bac program? If so, what were some of the things you guys did prior to apply. For example, volunteer work/shadowing/clinical etc.

Was it difficult to get into the program?

What kind of student did you apply as?

Can you still apply before you graduate (with a masters)?

Thanks a lot~ Hope to hear from you guys soon

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Has any of you guys ever applied to the Hunter Pre med Post Bac program? If so, what were some of the things you guys did prior to apply. For example, volunteer work/shadowing/clinical etc.

Was it difficult to get into the program?

What kind of student did you apply as?

Can you still apply before you graduate (with a masters)?

Thanks a lot~ Hope to hear from you guys soon

I applied as a non-trad and was told that the program was not suitable for me do to a surplus of science credits and classes, most of which (especially pre-reqs) I did well in. If you have yet to complete your pre-reqs, do not have a boatload of science credits on your transcripts or they are close to expiration I think this may be a solid program. However, from what I hear you really have to stay on top of things, i.e. you are responsible for making sure everything falls into place regarding scheduling, LOR from professors and their committee (which they have a system for in terms of professor requests and letter completion), etc. There are just so many students that it is easy to get lost in the mix.

I know there is a yahoo group for Hunter's post-bacc where you will find better info than you find here on SDN.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreHealthPostBacc/

Join the group and just start firing out questions. People on those boards are very helpful. Also, don't forget about other CUNY post-baccs; I think City College also has a program but not sure about the others. You can't beat CUNY prices though.

Last edited:
I applied as a non-trad and was told that the program was not suitable for me do to a surplus of science credits and classes, most of which (especially pre-reqs) I did well in. If you have yet to complete your pre-reqs, do not have a boatload of science credits on your transcripts or they are close to expiration I think this may be a solid program. However, from what I hear you really have to stay on top of things, i.e. you are responsible for making sure everything falls into place regarding scheduling, LOR from professors and their committee (which they have a system for in terms of professor requests and letter completion), etc. There are just so many students that it is easy to get lost in the mix.

I know there is a yahoo group for Hunter's post-bacc where you will find better info than you find here on SDN.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreHealthPostBacc/

Join the group and just start firing out questions. People on those boards are very helpful. Also, don't forget about other CUNY post-baccs; I think City College also has a program but not sure about the others. You can't beat CUNY prices though.

Thank you so so much! Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the Hunter Post Bac program and when I applied I was volunteering at NYU once a week doing administrative stuff (had been for 6 months or so I think). I also had around 5 or 6 years experience as a massage therapist, which was instrumental in my decision to pursue medicine. So I think talking about that experience in my personal statement probably helped me to get in to the program. I also had a good GPA and was taking science coursework at Hunter (as a non degree) and getting good grades and that certainly helped, too.

The Hunter Postbac program, as you probably know, is competitive so I would say that you should probably start volunteering as soon as you can (if you have not/ are not already). If anything, the experience will (hopefully) broaden your horizons and help with your eventual application to medical school.

My time at Hunter has been very rewarding and I recommend the school highly. That said, what the previous writer wrote about being on top of things is true. Some (maybe many) departments at Hunter are short staffed and under funded so you won't have people holding your hand through every step of the educational process. You have to seek out support and most importantly stay connected with the prehealth office. Finally, you need to make friends that will help you negotiate your postbac experiences, celebrate your successes and commiserate with you when frustration rears its ugly head.

Take a good look through the prehealth website -- it may answer many of your questions. It is also frequently updated.
http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/prehealth

Last edited:
I'm currently in the Hunter Post Bac program and when I applied I was volunteering at NYU once a week doing administrative stuff (had been for 6 months or so I think). I also had around 5 or 6 years experience as a massage therapist, which was instrumental in my decision to pursue medicine. So I think talking about that experience in my personal statement probably helped me to get in to the program. I also had a good GPA and was taking science coursework at Hunter (as a non degree) and getting good grades and that certainly helped, too.

The Hunter Postbac program, as you probably know, is competitive so I would say that you should probably start volunteering as soon as you can (if you have not/ are not already). If anything, the experience will (hopefully) broaden your horizons and help with your eventual application to medical school.

My time at Hunter has been very rewarding and I recommend the school highly. That said, what the previous writer wrote about being on top of things is true. Some (maybe many) departments at Hunter are short staffed and under funded so you won't have people holding your hand through every step of the educational process. You have to seek out support and most importantly stay connected with the prehealth office. Finally, you need to make friends that will help you negotiate your postbac experiences, celebrate your successes and commiserate with you when frustration rears its ugly head.

Take a good look through the prehealth website -- it may answer many of your questions. It is also frequently updated.
http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/prehealth

Some people in my med schools went to Hunter, they think it's better than their Ivy league undergrad and they cannot stop raving about it.

If you look at the forums one exists purely for post bac discussion. Take a look at that forum area because you will probably find some detailed information and a discussion dedicated to Hunter