Hurricane Ivan!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
That makes anyone think twice about going down there for medical school.

FutureDocDO said:

Nah! I was in Dominica for two hurricane seasons. The worst we had there was, one time, a slightly stiffer-than-normal breeze from a tropical storm that passed by. Furthermore, hurricanes that low in latitude are extremely unusual, i.e. rare as hen's teeth.

Besides, using that rationale, no one should live in South Florida.

:laugh:

-Skip

FutureDocDO said:

Yeah, just like I would turn down UCSF because they are long overdue for a major earthquake. Whatever man :rolleyes:

yes, i hope you all are ok & my thoughts & prayers go out for everyone impacted by the hurricane. . .

FutureDocDO said:

The above poster is a true loser and makes future DO's look bad. :thumbdown:

FutureDocDO said:
sure. or california with mudslides, colorado with wildfires, florida with hurricaines, the midwest for tornados... This is the first hurricaine in grenada for 60 years. On the natural disaster scale, not too shabby a record. But boy for the locals, this one made up for lost time.

Members don't see this ad :)
re: this silly rationale regarding using this disaster as a good reason not to be an IMG:

yes trying to capitalize on a tragedy for one's personal agenda isn't cool.

but just as impotent reasoning like this is transparent even to a kid, so in turn do we also realize that people who feel the deep need to do this are the exception to the rule. DOs as a group are perfectly cool and we IMGs know it.

in answer to the original poster: yes they're fine. But the locals are not. Once the dust (litereally) settles, some serious rescue is in order. And thanks to the international militaries that came into to protect the students. The US State Dept only decided to once evacuations were under way. The brits canadiens and caribbean bodies were represented.

FutureDocDO said:

Lose that negative attitude. As a DO applicant, I have so much respect for those that are willing to move out of the country to pursue their dream. "FutureDoc", you are no better than anybody else buddy... and if you really think you are, don't take the opportunity to say so when a disaster occurs... have an attitude of a person that your name implies, a "future doc". Still haven't heard from SGU'ers... hope you're all well!!!

FutureDocDO said:
Unfortunately this is something to think about. Honestly, would any of you advise people to go to SGU knowing that this hurricane is there or that more may hit. I sure wouldn't because life is more important than becoming a doctor.

Prisoners free, looting rampant, 90% of houses destroyed, troops on the streets. It's anarchy there man. Hell no I wouldn't go there for medical school.

Sadly that is the difference between the US and a caribbean island. In florida, houses are damaged but since the US is more developed it has responded and looting and prisoners are not roaming the streets. There is still some order unlike in grenada.

Sharky said:
Unfortunately this is something to think about. Honestly, would any of you advise people to go to SGU knowing that this hurricane is there or that more may hit. I sure wouldn't because life is more important than becoming a doctor.

Prisoners free, looting rampant, 90% of houses destroyed, troops on the streets. It's anarchy there man. Hell no I wouldn't go there for medical school.

Sadly that is the difference between the US and a caribbean island. In florida, houses are damaged but since the US is more developed it has responded and looting and prisoners are not roaming the streets. There is still some order unlike in grenada.

Oh brother! I'm just gone leave this one to Steph.

In the meantime, start "lubing-up", my friend... :laugh:

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Oh brother! I'm just gone leave this one to Steph.

-Skip
Actually there's nothing you can say to that. I am sure you wouldn't advise people to go to SGU in its condition right now. I hope you wouldn't because you'd be sending that poor soul to at the least a lot of heart ache and at the most death.

This is not a question about MD, DO, or FMG. This is a matter of life and death and no can argue about that.

Sharky said:
Actually there's nothing you can say to that. I am sure you wouldn't advise people to go to SGU in its condition right now. I hope you wouldn't because you'd be sending that poor soul to at the least a lot of heart ache and at the most death.

This is not a question about MD, DO, or FMG. This is a matter of life and death and no can argue about that.

Would you advise someone to attend NYU School of Medicine after what happened to the WTC on 9/11?

Just answer that.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Would you advise someone to attend NYU School of Medicine after what happened to the WTC on 9/11?

Just answer that.

-Skip
Hurricanes are more prevalent than terrorist attacks. Nice trying to divert answering my question. Spoken like a typical Democrat. :rolleyes:

Sharky said:
Hurricanes are more prevalent than terrorist attacks. Nice trying to divert answering my question. Spoken like a typical Democrat. :rolleyes:

The last hurricane in Grenada was in 1944. And, I'm noticing a pattern with you - you have a lot of trouble answering questions and seem to run away when pressed? Why is that?

-Skip

P.S. And if you think I'm a Democrat, you're an idiot.

Skip Intro said:
The last hurricane in Grenada was in 1944.

-Skip

P.S. And if you think I'm a Democrat, you're an idiot.
I would like to see some facts substantiating your claim. If you're a Democrat, you are an idiot. :horns: ...........(JK, don't want to start a political argument in the caribbean forum :smuggrin: ).

Sharky said:
I would like to see some facts substantiating your claim. If you're a Democrat, you are an idiot. :horns:

Answer the question.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Answer the question.

-Skip
Actually you answer mine first. Where's your courtesy. I asked you a question first and you diverted by asking me a question and now you expect me to answer first? Get some manners boyeee.

Sharky said:
Actually you answer mine first. Where's your courtesy. I asked you a question first and you diverted by asking me a question and now you expect me to answer first? Get some manners boyeee.

No, again, you demonstrate that you have a lot of trouble with facts, even ones that occurred less than five minutes ago. A reminder, you said...

Sharky said:

Nope, no question there. There's a statement, some melodrama, a false inference, and silly unsubstantiated rhetoric, but no question.

Then I asked...

Sharky said:

Now, answer my question, Captain Evasive.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
No, again, you demonstrate that you have a lot of trouble with facts, even ones that occurred less than five minutes ago. A reminder, you said...

Nope, no question there. There's a statement, some melodrama, a false inference, and silly unsubstantiated rhetoric, but no question.

Then I asked...

Now, answer my question, Captain Evasive.

-Skip
You are captain evasive. I stated that you probably wouldn't send any premeds there. Instead of addressing that you chose to ignore it. The reason is because you know you wouldn't send people there. Because you ignored my statement, I will ignore yours.

Sharky said:
You are captain evasive. I stated that you probably wouldn't send any premeds there. Instead of addressing that you chose to ignore it. The reason is because you know you wouldn't send people there. Because you ignored my statement, I will ignore yours.

Sharky, you were trying to put words in my mouth. Furthermore, that is just a stupid assertion (and you are apparently a little too "thick", as someone pointed out on another thread, to understand that). Right now no one would send students there. Thats like you're trying to say, "you wouldn't send a baby into a burning building now, would you" as if that proves some kind of point.

Of course I would send students back there after the repairs are made and basic services have been restored. And, I think most of the students will be willing, an indeed will, return. Things happen. The government and the school responded appropriately. The school is safe. No students were hurt. What more do you want? A 100% guarantee from God that nothing bad will ever happen? You ain't gonna get it, I promise.

Now, I stills seriously doubt you are going to answer my question, so I hope you have a nice, safe, happy life living under your rock.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
so I hope you have a nice, safe, happy life living under your rock.

-Skip
I rather be living under a rock in the US then living on a rock which in your case would be called a caribbean island.

Sharky said:
I rather be living under a rock in the US then living on a rock which in your case would be called a caribbean island.

+pity+

And, just like I suspected, Captain Evasive again avoids the question.

One last time...

Would you or would you not send your son or daughter (assuming you weren't, in fact, about 16-years-old like you probably are now and actually had a son or daughter) to NYU SOM in New York City after what happened on 9/11 (which is quite appropot seeing as today happens to be the third-year anniversary)?

So... if a university in California was destroyed by an earthquake, we should refrain from ever sending our kids to that school! IDIOT! I cannot believe some future doctors are so friggun immature that they come on a thread thats meant for students who just faced a terrible experience and post nonsense. WOW and these are the sensitive, compassionate doctors. Thank goodness there aren't more of you posting here.
THere is always an exception to the rule... and these few people are those exceptions. I believe the majority of future physicians do not and will not have this 10 year old attitude towards life's events. You EXCEPTIONS are nothing but a joke to most people, but at least have the decency to take your nonsense to another thread not geared towards those who suffered this tragedy!!

Sharky said:

Expect to get flamed for this comment- especially if any SGU students who were evacuated happen to read this thread!

Sharky said:

sure. a hurricaine every 60 years or so is something to worry about. coming from balitmore and nyc i know that there is NEVER any rioting in the us. nope none. (hello rodney king?) and no natural disasters. especially not in florida or california.

PLease kids, your logic here is as tight as diarrhea. if you want to convince people that your pathway is superior, do it honestly; you lose credibility this way. or worse maybe you are that suseptible to histrionics. take your pick

Sharky said:
actyually he hit the point right on the head.
Oh, and um, ; the WTC took two terrorist attacks in 7 years. Grenada one hurricaine in 60 years. and now insulting a whole political party. you may be proud of the pathway you've chosen but i wonder if they would return the compliment if this is the best reasoning you can come up with. Sort of argues for the offshore schools, really.

Skip Intro said:
Nah! I was in Dominica for two hurricane seasons. The worst we had there was, one time, a slightly stiffer-than-normal breeze from a tropical storm that passed by. Furthermore, hurricanes that low in latitude are extremely unusual, i.e. rare as hen's teeth.

Besides, using that rationale, no one should live in South Florida.

:laugh:

-Skip

I said think twice. I didn't say NO! you shouldn't go there. What you do is your business. Everyone knows that smoking causes lung damage/cancer but does that stop them? NO! There's always some numbscull that think it wouldn't happen to them.

haha

this i read about a "debate" in the hurricane ivan forum.. this is it?

hahaha....hahaha..

hey, i wonder if there are any pics of the damage on the SGU campus? im coorious.