Husel Trial -- NOT GUILTY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the prosecution's expert go through a case on cross examination. Patient was admitted to the ICU, given 25mcg by the physician (Not Husel) then shortly after that given 50mcg then shortly after that given 100mcg then I think they upped it once more to 200mcg. Little bit later there must have been a shift change because then Husel ordered 2000mcg. Don't remember if they said how long that patient lived after that dose.
How shortly after were each of those doses (we talking minutes or hours) and what was the patient response to each? If it was 5 minutes between each of these earlier doses and the patient was visibly still significantly suffering I could see it being perfectly logical to decide to quit just doubling the dose and not helping the patient.

Members don't see this ad.

at the 2:29:00 mark the defense replays the witness who literally tampered with evidence on the stand. The daughter of one of the patients sneakily peels something off her mother's morphine pill bottle while testifying. Unreal

Maybe she didn't want to be associated with the name?

How shortly after were each of those doses (we talking minutes or hours) and what was the patient response to each? If it was 5 minutes between each of these earlier doses and the patient was visibly still significantly suffering I could see it being perfectly logical to decide to quit just doubling the dose and not helping the patient.
I honestly don't remember. It was the first day of Ely's testimony.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the nurses that administered meds (800 mcg fentanyl) for Husel, was his very own wife, Mariah Baird (his 3rd wife) who was included in at least one wrongful death suit, and lost her license for conduct that the Ohio Nursing Board found "violated the law."

The civil lawsuit tornado that will be Husel if found not guilty will undo much of this. He'll spend the rest of his life suing everyone that dragged him and his family through the mud, wife will likely have similar lawsuits. After all if he's found not guilty it doesn't matter what the nursing board thinks.

I assume you specifically mention she's his third wife just to **** on divorce, doesn't really seem relevant.

Reactions: 3 users
The civil lawsuit tornado that will be Husel if found not guilty will undo much of this. He'll spend the rest of his life suing everyone that dragged him and his family through the mud, wife will likely have similar lawsuits. After all if he's found not guilty it doesn't matter what the nursing board thinks.

I assume you specifically mention she's his third wife just to **** on divorce, doesn't really seem relevant.
You seem to take some otherwise very innocuous comments on this thread, very personally. Do you have a personal relationship or connection with Dr. Husel?

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Lol, no

The opposite could be said about you, you seem to have quite the bone to pick with needless comments like "his third wife." Its needless information, like "hey, there's John and his black wife marissa." It seems to carry an implication, one not relevant to the topic.

And I do take it personally! I live in ohio. I would prefer physicians rally around someone who is innocent until proven guilty. We in medicine seem to make a habit out of cannibalizing ourselves. We've destroyed our own specialty with sellouts. Once ohio comes after husel, what's to stop them coming after me? I could have a bad outcome during a conscious sedation where I routinely give 100 mcg fentanyl and lose the civil suit then go to jail for murder.

Reactions: 11 users
Lol, no

The opposite could be said about you, you seem to have quite the bone to pick with needless comments like "his third wife." Its needless information, like "hey, there's John and his black wife marissa." It seems to carry an implication, one not relevant to the topic.

And I do take it personally! I live in ohio. I would prefer physicians rally around someone who is innocent until proven guilty. We in medicine seem to make a habit out of cannibalizing ourselves. We've destroyed our own specialty with sellouts. Once ohio comes after husel, what's to stop them coming after me? I could have a bad outcome during a conscious sedation where I routinely give 100 mcg fentanyl and lose the civil suit then go to jail for murder.
For one, you can leave Ohio.

For one, you can leave Ohio.
So that’s the solution every time a bad legal precedent is set? Pretty soon, you’ll be running out of states to live in…

Reactions: 5 users
Lol, no

Husel isn't on trial for giving 100mcg of fentanyl while doing painful procedures. He's on trial for giving 1000mcg of fentanyl to patients who are not having any more painful procedures done to them.

Something missing from this discussion is the ET tube. ET tubes hurt and EP's thankfully now realize that we need to treat that discomfort (preferably not with BZDs, that's another discussion). After the ETT is out the need for opioids usually goes down, not up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Husel isn't on trial for giving 100mcg of fentanyl while doing painful procedures. He's on trial for giving 1000mcg of fentanyl to patients who are not having any more painful procedures done to them.

Something missing from this discussion is the ET tube. ET tubes hurt and EP's thankfully now realize that we need to treat that discomfort (preferably not with BZDs, that's another discussion). After the ETT is out the need for opioids usually goes down, not up.

Perhaps you and I are different in this regard. I am a big believer in the slippery slope. I don't have to look far in medicine to see this in action. I see this almost every day with new and more restrictive abortion legislation. They can get away with one thing, they move the pieces even closer to another goal.

I want politics and law out of practice. Out, out out. The practice of medicine is mine and mine alone. Sure, sue me if there's an outcome you don't like. Maybe it's BS, maybe it isn't. But at the end of the day I know I won't go to jail for it.

I'm aware he is not on trial for sedation (fyi, extubation as a "painful procedure" was a part of the arguments, you'd know that if you watched most of the trial as I did). Regardless, the state believes an adverse event that resulted in a death can be gleaned with intent to kill, despite not one mention of motive during any day of trial except a passing theory during closing. If they can get away with it with Husel I have zero faith they won't try it for something else. Again, I believe in the slippery slope. If you don't that's cool, but I do.

Perhaps you and I are different in this regard. I am a big believer in the slippery slope. I don't have to look far in medicine to see this in action. I see this almost every day with new and more restrictive abortion legislation. They can get away with one thing, they move the pieces even closer to another goal.

I want politics and law out of practice. Out, out out. The practice of medicine is mine and mine alone. Sure, sue me if there's an outcome you don't like. Maybe it's BS, maybe it isn't. But at the end of the day I know I won't go to jail for it.

I'm aware he is not on trial for sedation (fyi, extubation as a "painful procedure" was a part of the arguments, you'd know that if you watched most of the trial as I did). Regardless, the state believes an adverse event that resulted in a death can be gleaned with intent to kill, despite not one mention of motive during any day of trial except a passing theory during closing. If they can get away with it with Husel I have zero faith they won't try it for something else. Again, I believe in the slippery slope. If you don't that's cool, but I do.
What was the state’s proposed theory again? I watched almost all the trial but never saw any evidence or testimony hinting at a motive. Everyone here keeps referring to these as “mercy killings”, but I don’t recall that ever being brought up exactly.

I maintain that a reasonable person can’t look at the evidence of this trial and glean any sort of realistic motive. It’s the equivalent of advertising your murders on Facebook. He could have pushed a few cc’s rocuronium after extubation and I’m positive no one would have even known, and they would have probably died faster.

Last edited:
That was all public speculation!! Seriously. Baez even brought up in closing that the state, not even once, ever offered a motive in 7 weeks of trial. Not in opening, not in witnesses, no motive. Kind of a big deal when motive is a part of murder. They never even argued the doses themselves were murder. I'm not even sure they used the word "motive" until rebuttal in closing when state had to cover their ass, came up on thr spot with a "have fewer patients" kind of angle.

Very sad. You can all agree or disagree with what husel did but no one should be crucified by the state like this. In the charges read today motive was listed as a part of a guilt verdict. If jury pays attention to this all counts should be not guilty...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think that a not guilty verdict will have any impact on the civil suits. Completely different standard of proof and, if I recall correctly, most of the suits have already been settled out of court. Any pending civil cases would benefit from a guilty verdict, but even without them, they only have to show more likely than not to win the case.

Honest question here: is the opioid requirement to get relief from air hunger lower than ET tube discomfort?

Obviously generally speaking as I'm sure there's always exceptions.

Honest question here: is the opioid requirement to get relief from air hunger lower than ET tube discomfort?

Yes, it usually is significantly lower. It would be better if I could give you a citation, but I'm going off my clinical experience hare.

ET tubes hurt like a mofo and often require pretty high doses of opioids (100mcg fentanyl boluses) to be tolerated, once they're out the patient usually settles down and I can get the patients comfortable with more like 12mcg fentanyl boluses. Of course it's not one size fits all. These are general starting points.

I could have a bad outcome during a conscious sedation where I routinely give 100 mcg fentanyl and lose the civil suit then go to jail for murder.
I presume Husel innocent, until proven otherwise by a court of law. Let's let the facts of the case and the jury determine the outcome, not our own personal fears or interests.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Hmm

Wilco already answered this from an ICU palliative extubation standpoint but I’ll also answer from a non-palliative standpoint.

Laryngeal and tracheal manipulation are among if not the most stimulating things you can do to a patient. During weaning and emergence of general anesthesia one of the things we look at is respiratory rate as we get patients breathing spontaneously at the end of the procedure. Obviously it’s not perfect, but it’s a corollary of the adequacy of your (in particular) opioid analgesia. As the patients emerge BP and RR inevitably rise from peri-emergence levels (if you’ve done nothing to counteract this expected physiologic response) as the pt is no longer immune to the stimulation of the ETT. Once you pull the tube they settle right back down, often to an even lower RR than you titrated to prior to emergence (which is why you don’t titrate to a minimal RR prior to emergence).

Reactions: 4 users

I'm not sure what Husel could sue the hospital or other actors (like the Ohio Medical Board) for if he is not convicted of murder. The hospital fired him and the medical board suspended his license for what they perceived as poor medical practices. As regards the wrongful death civil suits, one can be found not guilty of murder and still lose a wrongful death suit...think of OJ Simpson. If Husel is found not guilty, which I think is certainly possible since the jury (from what I've read) has only two charges to consider, murder and attempted murder. As I wrote earlier I don't think I'd be able to convict him of murder, were I on the jury, even though I believe from all that I've read and watched of the trial testimony that he intended to hasten the death of his patients.

BTW, one thing we haven't discussed much on this thread is that there are other narcotic medications that might be just as effective as fentanyl to provide a terminal patient a "good death" if that is one's intention. Plain old morphine, for example. Fentanyl can have quite unpleasant side effects, some neurological, that I've observed . It can cause muscular rigidity and myoclonus, and the muscular rigidity produced by fentanyl is known to produce chest wall rigidity making ventilation quite difficult. In those patients the defense claimed were somehow tolerant of high fentanyl doses, one ought to be concerned that trying to breath against a rigid chest would be a terrifying experience for a dying patient. Morphine wouldn't cause that. I've also observed fentanyl (even in patches) inducing a rather severe agitated dysphoria, something that veterinarians have noticed in animals given fentanyl.

Husel's decision not to testify was mentioned earlier in this thread. That was probably a wise decision, given that the jury really has only the serious charges or murder and attempted murder to consider, which are going to be a stretch.

Had Husel taken the stand, he could have opened himself up to troubling questions about his criminal past, that could have swayed a jury to find him capable and guilty of murder. See the following USA Today article, for example:

As it is, I think he will get off.

Husel fans,

Your guy ran a car stereo theft ring in college.

He's a convicted pipe bomber.

He obstructed justice.

When he walks after beating a murder rap 15-large, how's he going to top that?

Last edited:
I presume Husel innocent, until proven otherwise by a court of law. Let's let the facts of the case and the jury determine the outcome, not our own personal fears or interests.
Husel fans,

He obstructed justice.

When he walks, after beating a murder rap 15 large, how's he going to top that?
In reading between the lines of your prior comments on this thread including these comments quoted, you seem quite opinionated despite your intermittent charade of portraying yourself as objective. Comes across as somewhat disingenuous. You imply toning down the rhetoric, but at the same time stoke the flames. :unsure:

Reactions: 16 users
Husel fans,

He obstructed justice.

When he walks after beating a murder rap 15-large, how's he going to top that?
This is just weird on many levels. I’m not a fan and he’s not my guy. And all of the other stuff has nothing to do with this.

He very well may have wanted to kill these people, but the state hasn’t come close to meeting the burden.

In reading between the lines of your prior comments on this thread including these comments quoted, you seem quite opinionated despite your intermittent charade of portraying yourself as objective. Comes across as somewhat disingenuous. You imply toning down the rhetoric, but at the same time stoke the flames. :unsure:
Someone being presumed innocent under the law, doesn't strip the rest of us of our opinions. Forget for a minute Husel is facing a murder rap, right now (x 15).

What's your opinion on Husel's criminal track record of running a car-stereo theft ring, pipe bombing, and obstruction of justice (according to above USA Today link)?

What does it say about his ethics, judgement and motives?

What's your opinion on Husel getting fired and losing his license by the Ohio Medical Board for poor practice?

Are you going to let Husel work on your family?

When he's found "not guilty" are you going to hire him at your group? If not, why not?

Are you going to recommend Cleveland Clinic take him back and write him a letter of recommendation for an appointment?

Last edited:
He very well may have wanted to kill these people, but the state hasn’t come close to meeting the burden.
That's a very defense lawyer-ey answer. It's kind of like saying, "I'm 98% certain my client is guilty. But since you need to get to 99.9%, goodie for me!"

Someone being presumed innocent under the law, doesn't strip the rest of us of our opinions. Forget for a minute Husel is facing a murder rap, right now (x 15).

What's your opinion on Husel's criminal track record of running car-stereo theft rings, pipe bombing, and obstruction of justice (according to above USA Today link)?

What's your opinion on Husel getting fired and losing his license by the Ohio Medical Board for poor practice?

Are you going to let Husel work on your family?

When he's found "not guilty" are you going to hire him at your group? If not, why not?
I’m not sure what to think about his adolescent/early adulthood buffoonery. Maybe it means he’s a sociopath, maybe he just was stupid with the wrong friends. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t mature to be a talented physician.

His actions and clinical demeanor/skill outside of the chosen dosages in this case have been described as calm, thoughtful, and well liked. I guess it’s still plausible he’s a sophisticated sociopath that fooled many for years. It’s plausible he simply chose to quit beating around the bush and trying to provide comfort 100ug at a time. It’s also plausible he harbors the internal opinion that euthanasia is the more humane way.

His getting fired and losing his license is completely and totally acceptable to me. He clearly practiced outside of the standard of care as he foolishly delivered his brand of end of life comfort care. He’s a legal risk to employ at a minimum. Does this without a doubt mean he’s a sociopath or murderer? Not necessarily. He may just be foolish, or narcissistic, or sure, he may believe in euthanasia.

No, I wouldn’t be comfortable allowing him to care for my family members in the ICU, under palliative care or otherwise, as he’s shown his disregard for medical cultural norms. But I’ve met lots of physicians I wouldn’t let touch me and my family, and many more non-physicians, that’s not a line at which passage means criminality.

His medical career is over, he will be hired by no group. My group would not consider him. But not because he’s definitely a murderer.

I think he’ll get off because of the allowed charges being considered. And yes, I’m ok with that.

That's a very defense lawyer-ey answer. It's kind of like saying, "I'm 98% certain my client is guilty. But since you need to get to 99.9%, goodie for me!"
That’s exactly how it should be. To put it in clinical terms, you want a highly specific process to put someone away for murder. It’s not acceptable to be screened in for murder. Ffs.

Except I didn’t say I’m 98% sure he wanted to kill them? I said no one knows but him, and the state has proven nothing. It sounds like you have a problem with the judicial system

• Haha
@Birdstrike
In your opinion, what was Husels motive to outright kill 25 people in front of the entire hospital? The prosecution never really offered a motive, so I’m just curious.

Don’t you find it more reasonable that IF his intent was to murder these people, he would have tried to at least hide it? Pull the tube, 50mg rocuronium while no one watches? I can almost guarantee no one would know. Pharmacy doesn’t get alerted, no nurse has to know, it doesn’t go in the MAR, etc

Prediction:

The jury will find him not guilty of all murder counts.

The jury will find him not guilty of all of the attempted murder charges, except one.

They will vote unanimously "guilty" of attempted murder in the case of Melissa Penix, to whom he gave the highest doses. They will vote that way because they think broke the law and did hastened death, but that his actions don't rise to the level of cold-blooded, serial murder x 15.

There's a reason that medical ethics in palliative care and hospice, as well as the law, prohibits the hastening of death. That's because there is often a strong motive to hasten death. No matter how painful the death process, for patient, family or healthcare providers alike, it's still prohibited in the U.S. to actively speed up, i.e. "hasten," the process with a medication. While we can't read minds, we can follow patterns, doses, and willingness (or refusal) to practice within a reasonable range of standards. We can also examples past history of behavior, ethics, judgement and motive.

That being said, my opinion doesn't mean anything. The jury will have the final word.

Last edited:
There's a reason that medical ethics in palliative care and hospice, as well as the law, prohibits the hastening of death. That's because there is often a strong motive to hasten death. No matter how painful the death process, for patient, family or healthcare providers alike, it's still prohibited in the U.S. to actively speed up, i.e. "hasten," the process with a medication. While we can't read minds, we can follow patterns, doses, and willingness (or refusal) to practice within a reasonable range of standards. We can also examples past history of behavior, ethics, judgement and motive.

That being said, my opinion doesn't mean anything. The jury will have the final word.
You are incorrect about palliative care and hospice care prohibits hastening of death. It very explicitly permits it as long as that isn't the primary reason an action is taken. Your misunderstanding of this is a good explanation for your stated positions in this thread.

Reactions: 11 users
You are incorrect about palliative care and hospice care prohibits hastening of death. It very explicitly permits it as long as that isn't the primary reason an action is taken. Your misunderstanding of this is a good explanation for your stated positions in this thread.
OK, add "intentional" to his statement and it's true. It is prohibited to intentionally hasten death.

It kind of just keeps going in circles trying to guess his intent.
In my opinion motive goes a long way for intent. Currently there is no motive, not even a guess at one. To say “his dose is so high it can only prove intent to murder” just kind of defies all reason. If he knew he was giving a lethal dose with only intent to kill, why on earth would he choose a drug that alerts everyone in the damn hospital?

Reckless homicide would be a totally different story. But they didn’t charge that.

That’s exactly how it should be. To put it in clinical terms, you want a highly specific process to put someone away for murder. It’s not acceptable to be screened in for murder. Ffs.
Which is why I think the jury should have been allowed to consider manslaughter (eg reckless homicide) as a lesser included charge. Although the prosecution may not have convinced the jury of murder beyond a reasonable doubt, I believe they did prove negligent homicide beyond a reasonable doubt.

Which is why I think the jury should have been allowed to consider manslaughter (eg reckless homicide) as a lesser included charge. Although the prosecution may not have convinced the jury of murder beyond a reasonable doubt, I believe they did prove negligent homicide beyond a reasonable doubt.
I don’t disagree.

I think my mind has changed since the trial started. While I still think it's beyond a reasonable doubt that Husel's intent was to hasten death, I'm not convinced that he should be convicted of murder. This is in part because I think that maintaining a just legal system requires accepting that people who did something "wrong" will sometimes escape punishment.

Specificity > sensitivity in criminal law.

Reactions: 5 users
I believe there is a lot of misunderstanding of what the principle of double effect actually means and requires. The "bad" effect can never be "intended" for the actor to be morally justified. It must be an entirely unwanted and unintended consequence. Husel's "palliative" dosing deviated so far from the standards of care that it is not at all hard for me to conclude hastening death was intended, regardless of anything he wrote in the charts or told others that his sole intent was to alleviate pain.

I’m totally confused why the judge allowed attempted murder as a lesser charge when all the patients died. Seems like a very pro-prosecution maneuver to get something but why the judge allowed that instead of negligent homicide or a similar charge seems strange to me. They didn’t even discuss a motive until their rebuttal closing where they suggested his motive was to have fewer patients to see.

“Was it murder? Was it reckless homicide? Was it hastening of death? Was it euthanasia? Was it negligent manslaughter? Was it some other form of killing that technically doesn’t perfectly meet these specific legal criteria?”

Looks like you all agree Husel killed these people, but the argument is just a semantic one over what legal label to slap on it.

Last edited:
“Was it murder? Was it reckless homicide? Was it hastening of death? Was it euthanasia? Was it negligent manslaughter? Was it some other form of killing that technically doesn’t perfectly meet these specific legal criteria?”

Looks like you all agree Husel killed these people, but the argument is just a semantic one over what legal label to slap on it.
Do you really not think the distinction between murder and reckless/negligent homicide is massive?

Do you really not think the distinction between murder and reckless/negligent homicide is massive?
Both are serious felonies, but certainly murder is more serious. Murder can be punished by a life sentence (w/ or w/o possibility of parole) whereas the various types of manslaughter are usually punishable by a determinate prison sentence. I think Husel lucked out when his jury was not allowed to consider manslaughter as a lesser included charge, though it is still a sort of gamble that could lead to him being convicted of a more serious charge. This is a jury in Ohio, not some very blue part of California.

Jury is in deliberation. Only one question has been submitted so far:

The jury asked, "Dr. Joel Zivot states he included a list of articles in support of his opinion. Why are they not included? Why are they missing?"
After attorneys for both sides met, the following reply was sent to the jury: "Any article not authored by the experts themselves were not sent back."

It's always tempting to read into jury questions. Not sure how I would read it though.

OK, add "intentional" to his statement and it's true. It is prohibited to intentionally hasten death.

So palliative extubation is illegal?

No, it's legal.

I believe there is a lot of misunderstanding of what the principle of double effect actually means and requires. The "bad" effect can never be "intended" for the actor to be morally justified. It must be an entirely unwanted and unintended consequence. Husel's "palliative" dosing deviated so far from the standards of care that it is not at all hard for me to conclude hastening death was intended, regardless of anything he wrote in the charts or told others that his sole intent was to alleviate pain.
Do you expect everyone to believe that every person doing a palliative extubation doesn't intend or want the patient to die more quickly than they otherwise would? That they don't know that the patient is definitely going to die because of that action and are ok with it because of reasons?

Jury is in deliberation. Only one question has been submitted so far:

The jury asked, "Dr. Joel Zivot states he included a list of articles in support of his opinion. Why are they not included? Why are they missing?"
After attorneys for both sides met, the following reply was sent to the jury: "Any article not authored by the experts themselves were not sent back."

It's always tempting to read into jury questions. Not sure how I would read it though.

I get why the judge disallowed those documents not written by him. Because giving them documents written by others, without having those others testify, implies they support Husel's defense, when we have no idea if they would have thought Husel was innocent. They might, or they might not. To know, they must testify themselves. In other words, you or I can testify to our opinion, but we can't get on the stand and say, "I think he's guilty because some other guy probably feels he's guilty because he wrote this, but I don't really know, since he's not here to testify."

I'd guess the defense isn't happy, that their one witness can't show his supporting documents and that it's bad for the defense, but I'm not very confident in that assessment.

Do you expect everyone to believe that every person doing a palliative extubation doesn't intend or want the patient to die more quickly than they otherwise would? That they don't know that the patient is definitely going to die because of that action and are ok with it because of reasons?
I know you think you've got me, but I disagree. You've instead revealed your own assumption. You "believe that every person doing a palliative extubation [wants] the patient to die more quickly than they otherwise would".

No offense to intensivists or ER docs, but patients live a lot longer than we think they can without life support. PCP's, please back me up on this. Patients who are compassionately extubated survive their ICU stay quite often.

You can't do it intentionally. "Actively" or "intentionally" as opposed to passively doing it like withdrawing a treatment and allowing nature to take its course or accidentally doing it (doctrine of double effect).

If you're running around intentionally using 10 to 20 times the doses as everyone else and leaving a trail of bodies in your wake, that qualifies as "intentional." You cannot hide behind the "But...but... I didn't mean to do it" defense, at that point. Anyone that sees that pattern knows exactly what's happening. They may choose not to say anything. They may not want to see it punished because they see the offender as being "on their team" like co-workers or half this thread. They can argue about what label you want to slap on it. But everyone, knows exactly what's happening.

Both are serious felonies, but certainly murder is more serious. Murder can be punished by a life sentence (w/ or w/o possibility of parole) whereas the various types of manslaughter are usually punishable by a determinate prison sentence. I think Husel lucked out when his jury was not allowed to consider manslaughter as a lesser included charge, though it is still a sort of gamble that could lead to him being convicted of a more serious charge. This is a jury in Ohio, not some very blue part of California.

I agree both are definitely serious.
I’m just thinking about the woman cop who accidentally shot and killed someone bc “she thought it was her taser.” She got 2 years and will only serve 16 months I believe. That’s for shooting and killing someone “on accident.” While Husel has 14 counts, his homicides appear to be less negligent or reckless (I think?) given that there is at least therapeutic benefit to the fentanyl and in these situations his intent would have been good (as opposed to murder)
I’m purely speculating here, but his life is over with murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.