Hyperkalemia, Compartment Syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
QUESTION; would you use NS or LR or another fluid for this patient? Why
Plasmalyte to the rescue. If you have it. Assuming Nephro is gonna dialyse w High Bicarb solution that is.
I am just thinking with lots of NS you can get Acidosis, with lots of LR you get extra K.
Edit: The K thing is usually theoretical but how much fluid are you expected to give?. Guess I wold rather err on Plasmalyte if available.
Edit again, plasmalyte has 5 K instead of 4. So I guess LR is it.

Members don't see this ad.

Spent about 10 minutes looking for literature on expected rise in potassium following fasciotomy and came up with zilch.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a risk of arrest. I don't know what an expected rise would be postfasciotomy in this case. If the expected rise is anticipated to be minimal, I could see theoretically see offering emergency surgery and ongoing temporizing measures if the benefit of potential limb salvage was worth the risk of arrest to the patient. But as I said, my inclination would be risk the limbs and defer surgery. I'd expect the risk of a substantial K spike in essentially a found down intoxicated patient with multiple compromised compartments is.... Not modest
From the sounds of it, this patient doesn’t possess decisional capacity...

Plasmalyte to the rescue. If you have it. Assuming Nephro is gonna dialyse w High Bicarb solution that is.
I am just thinking with lots of NS you can get Acidosis, with lots of LR you get extra K.
Edit: The K thing is usually theoretical but how much fluid are you expected to give?. Guess I wold rather err on Plasmalyte if available.
Edit again, plasmalyte has 5 K instead of 4. So I guess LR is it.
It doesn't matter how much fluid you give. You're never going to get more than a K of 4-5 even if you replaced his entire blood volume. And that's still going to be half of what this guys K is now anyways.

Great points brought up by everyone. This wasn't a particularly challenging from a pure anesthesia management standpoint, but it did involve a lot of moving parts and coordination between different services.

As I described earlier, patient came in to ER with critically high K (exceeding 10) and was surprisingly awake and responsive. EkG was clearly sinusoidal pattern consistent with the severe hyperkalemia. All the hyperkalemic treatments were initiated (albuterol, insulin/glucose, bicarbonate, calcium, lasix, aggressive IV hydration) with the exception of kayexalte because absent NG tube and concern for aspiration. He was clearly going into acute renal failure, his Foley showed small amount of dark muddy colored urine. This did not appreciably increase even with attempt at forced diuresis. He was also given a dose of opioid (not sure why) and his gas showed PaCO2 elevated.

Given the above, my thoughts regarding management:

1. He should have been intubated as soon as possible, in the ER and hyperventilated to shift the potassium levels. I don't understand why he was given a medication that could worsen his hyperkalemia and acidemia and consider this a medical error. Mechanical ventilation would also improve thr ability to breathe away the extra co2 load from bicarbonate administration.

2. Should the fasciotomy be performed right away vs medically stabilize patient? This was a judgement call as there are risks and benefits to both. Medical stabilization would involve performing intermittent dialysis prior to the OR to drive down the potassium levels. This would reduce his immediate risk of fatal arrhythmia from hyperkalemia. However the 2 hours needed to perform this stabilization would potentially allow more muscle to become ischemic and die from compartment syndrome, potentially worsen the metabolic and hemodynamic effects once the fasciotomies were performed. Decision was made to do dialysis ASAP followed by OR.

3. Where should we do the fasciotomies? Case was booked for the OR. I pushed the surgeons why it couldn't be done at the bedside in ICU with anesthesia support. The last thing we would want is for the patient to code after the fasciotomies especially on the elevator ride back to the ICU. It would also allow the patient to remain on dialysis the whole time. My thoughts fell on deaf ears. Both ICU and surgical teams did not appear so concerned, and ultimately we did the case in the OR.

4. Additional supportive measures: discussed whether we needed cardiopulmonary bypass on standby in case of hyperkalemic arrest.

Hospital course -
Transferred from ER to ICU. Pads on, art line placed. Repeat EKG showed significant improvement from sinusoidal pattern to regular QRS with peaked T waves. Vascath placed and dialysis in ICU for 2 hours bringing down K to around 7. Continued aggressive measures. Intubated by us after I found out about the PaCO2 and that he wasn't yet on mechanical support, and hyperventilated him to Paco2 30. Went to OR and did the case. Placed a central line for vasoactive drugs and ran levo and phenylephrine. Fasciotomies completed with pink and viable looking tissue (fortunately). Potassium and lactic acid remained elevated but controlled. Kept intubated to ICU, where he remained intubated and on CVVH for the next few days. 4 pressors, despite everything done above Bicarb went down to 5, cpk through the roof, shock liver, dic, arf from ATN. Never coded. Extubated after a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Impressive.

My first thoughts on this case would be:
FML
This guy is already hypotensive, groggy, probably already very acidotic. Can we do this under block, spinal, or even field block by surgeon? He’s already sedated or partly dead so how much anesthesia would he need? How long does it take to get lines, get dialysis? I don’t count on that to happen that quickly so I would opt to take care of the surgical cause first. Maybe put pads, Aline, in case he codes mid case... it may be exciting when the pressure is released..

Maybe I’m missing something.

He needs to be intubated.

He needs to be intubated.
This guy needed to be intubated as soon as he hit the ED regardless of what the plan was for the HD and fasciotomies. Intubation is happening one way or another, so better to do it ASAP electively and in a controlled fashion rather than during ongoing compressions with a mouthful of vomit.

Reactions: 2 users
and the fact that he’s already groggy and sedated —> hypoventilation soon —> code because lack of compensatory ventilation is going to drive his K even higher.

Great points brought up by everyone. This wasn't a particularly challenging from a pure anesthesia management standpoint, but it did involve a lot of moving parts and coordination between different services.

As I described earlier, patient came in to ER with K > 10 and was surprisingly awake and responsive. EkG was clearly sinusoidal pattern consistent with the severe hyperkalemia. All the hyperkalemic treatments were initiated (albuterol, insulin/glucose, bicarbonate, calcium, lasix, aggressive IV hydration) with the exception of kayexalte because absent NG tube and concern for aspiration. He was clearly going into acute renal failure, his Foley showed small amount of dark muddy colored urine. This did not appreciably increase even with attempt at forced diuresis. He was also given a dose of opioid (not sure why) and his gas showed PaCO2 of 60.

Given the above, my thoughts regarding management:

1. He should have been intubated as soon as possible, in the ER and hyperventilated to shift the potassium levels. I don't understand why he was given a medication that could worsen his hyperkalemia and acidemia and consider this a medical error. Mechanical ventilation would also improve thr ability to breathe away the extra co2 load from bicarbonate administration.

2. Should the fasciotomy be performed right away vs medically stabilize patient? This was a judgement call as there are risks and benefits to both. Medical stabilization would involve performing intermittent dialysis prior to the OR to drive down the potassium levels. This would reduce his immediate risk of fatal arrhythmia from hyperkalemia. However the 2 hours needed to perform this stabilization would potentially allow more muscle to become ischemic and die from compartment syndrome, potentially worsen the metabolic and hemodynamic effects once the fasciotomies were performed. Decision was made to do dialysis ASAP followed by OR.

3. Where should we do the fasciotomies? Case was booked for the OR. I pushed the surgeons why it couldn't be done at the bedside in ICU with anesthesia support. The last thing we would want is for the patient to code after the fasciotomies especially on the elevator ride back to the ICU. It would also allow the patient to remain on dialysis the whole time. My thoughts fell on deaf ears. Both ICU and surgical teams did not appear so concerned, and ultimately we did the case in the OR.

4. Additional supportive measures: discussed whether we needed cardiopulmonary bypass on standby in case of hyperkalemic arrest.

Hospital course -
Transferred from ER to ICU. Pads on, art line placed. Repeat EKG showed significant improvement from sinusoidal pattern to regular QRS with peaked T waves. Vascath placed and dialysis in ICU for 2 hours bringing down K to around 7. Continued aggressive measures. Intubated by us after I found out about the PaCO2 and that he wasn't yet on mechanical support, and hyperventilated him to Paco2 30. Went to OR and did the case. Placed a triple lumen central line for vasoactive drugs and ran levo and phenylephrine. Fasciotomies completed with pink and viable looking tissue (fortunately). Potassium and lactic acid remained elevated but controlled. Kept intubated to ICU, where he remained intubated and on CVVH for the next 7 days. 4 pressors, despite everything done above Bicarb went down to 5, cpk through the roof, shock liver, dic, arf from ATN. Never coded. Extubated day 9.

Really? You don't decide where the operation takes place? If the surgeon felt strong enough about going to the OR I would do it but the decision is ultimately up to the anesthesiologist.

Really? You don't decide where the operation takes place? If the surgeon felt strong enough about going to the OR I would do it but the decision is ultimately up to the anesthesiologist.

Unfortunately our field involves dealing with situations that are not entirely within our control. In my opinion, this should have been done in the ICU at bedside.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not where I work. Surgeons need equipment, light, room to move, blah blah blah.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately our field involves dealing with situations that are not entirely within our control. In my opinion, this should have been done in the ICU at bedside.
Agree 100%.

You did the best job possible. Rushing this guy off to the OR is a suicide mission. Getting dialysis going probably prevented him from croaking in the OR on your watch. Nice job.