Hypoglycemic episode during exam. Bombed exam.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peregrino

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
While taking a final exam last week, I suddenly got very thirsty, but had no water in my water bottle. Simultaneously, I found it was difficult to breathe through my face mask (which we were asked to wear because the exams were in person). One of my classmates gave me a candy bar and the professor gave me water. My vision dimmed, and I could not see. My hands cramped up and I coud not write legibly. Worse still, I could not read nor understand the exam questions, my thinking got very muddled. I recognized words but did not know their meaning; so I left much of the test blank. My professor attributed my issues to stress and encouraged me to finish the exam.

I _did_ have breakfast prior to the exam but no sleep because we had a lab report due at the same time and I discovered a mistake that forced me to re-do the report.

In the 3 days prior to the exam, I had greatly increased frequency of urination. I would drink fluids and immediately have the need to urinate. Slight increased thirst. Slightly increased appetite in the week before the exam.

I took the bus home because I knew I could not drive. I consulted with my doctor who ordered some tests for diabetes, but did not think that I am diabetic. My fasting HbA1c and blood glucose have been normal and still are.

So this seems to be an isolated incident.

But the scholastic consequence of this is that I bombed the exam (D grade) and so I lost my A in the class. I got a B overall in the class. These B grades are ruining my attempts at reinvention.

Any suggestion?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While taking a final exam last week, I suddenly got very thirsty, but had no water in my water bottle. Simultaneously, I found it was difficult to breathe through my face mask (which we were asked to wear because the exams were in person). One of my classmates gave me a candy bar and the professor gave me water. My vision dimmed, and I could not see. My hands cramped up and I coud not write legibly. Worse still, I could not read nor understand the exam questions, my thinking got very muddled. I recognized words but did not know their meaning; so I left much of the test blank. My professor attributed my issues to stress and encouraged me to finish the exam.

I _did_ have breakfast prior to the exam but no sleep because we had a lab report due at the same time and I discovered a mistake that forced me to re-do the report.

In the 3 days prior to the exam, I had greatly increased frequency of urination. I would drink fluids and immediately have the need to urinate. Slight increased thirst. Slightly increased appetite in the week before the exam.

I took the bus home because I knew I could not drive. I consulted with my doctor who ordered some tests for diabetes, but did not think that I am diabetic. My fasting HbA1c and blood glucose have been normal and still are.

So this seems to be an isolated incident.

But the scholastic consequence of this is that I bombed the exam (D grade) and so I lost my A in the class. I got a B overall in the class. These B grades are ruining my attempts at reinvention.

Any suggestion?

If grades are final, then I'm afraid there's not much more to be done. A single B grade in a class is unlikely to tank your attempts at reinvention so long as your other coursework is solid. How have your other classes been going?

The situation you described sounds like it could be related to anxiety or panic. If this rings true to you, consider following up with your doctor or student counseling services for help so this doesn't happen again in the future.

If grades are final, then I'm afraid there's not much more to be done. A single B grade in a class is unlikely to tank your attempts at reinvention so long as your other coursework is solid. How have your other classes been going?

The situation you described sounds like it could be related to anxiety or panic. If this rings true to you, consider following up with your doctor or student counseling services for help so this doesn't happen again in the future.

Unfortunately, the grades are final. And my other recent coursework is not solid. While my other grades have been mostly A’s, I have some B+ and B grades and one really bad D. So, I have delayed my application to take more new upper division classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, the grades are final. And my other recent coursework is not solid. While my other grades have been mostly A’s, I have some B+ and B grades and one really bad D. So, I have delayed my application to take more new upper division classes.

Continuing to excel in your coursework may be the best you can do. What is your postbac GPA and number of credits?

Continuing to excel in your coursework may be the best you can do. What is your postbac GPA and number of credits?

I don’t know at this point. I have taken a lot of classes since finishing my second degree. I will calculate that and post it here.

Reactions: 1 user

When does the post-bacc period start? I have 2 bachelors degrees done separately. Does it begin after my first bachelors or after the second is completed? I am assuming after the first degree, in which case postbacc would include everything taken including the second bachelors?

When does the post-bacc period start? I have 2 bachelors degrees done separately. Does it begin after my first bachelors or after the second is completed? I am assuming after the first degree, in which case postbacc would include everything taken including the second bachelors?

Postbac work is any college-level coursework taken after obtaining your initial BA or BS degree.

Postbac work is any college-level coursework taken after obtaining your initial BA or BS degree.

I am going to have to request transcripts from that school, plus the other schools that I have attended since then. I have taken a lot of classes.

Is there a website that allows calculation of GPA, or do I have to make a spreadsheet? Or can I enter my classes and grades into AAMC pages for my application?

Last edited:
I am going to have to request transcripts from that school, plus the other schools that I have attended since then. I have taken a lot of classes.

Is there a website that allows calculation of GPA, or do I have to make a spreadsheet?

I googled "AMCAS GPA calculator" and found a spreadsheet calculator template that way. You'll need all the grades + credit hours for every college-level course you've taken in order to accurately calculate your AMCAS GPA, which may very well require transcripts or some kind of online access to your grade records. It sounds like it's going to be a bit of a project for you, unfortunately, but you really should be aware of your current standing.