Hypothetical Marijuana Conviction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I haven't been convicted yet, but I get paranoid every day of being convicted. For example, a passenger in my car or my roommate can be smoking it, and I can get charged. Or worse, it may be left in a rental car I rent. I think this thread will also help others who do have convictions.

If I'm convicted in a state where marijuana is illegal, but go to medical school or a job in a state where it is more legal than speeding or decriminalized, will adcoms or future employers look at it negatively given that in their view, the crime I committed is not a crime, or they are pro-marijuana themselves. It is like getting a reckless driving conviction in Virginia for driving 83 in a 70, while in that state, it would merely be a civil infraction. Or being convicted of having illegal prescription drugs in Japan that I got legally from a doctor in the USA

Members don't see this ad.

Take it from someone who had a marijuana IA and had to go through the anxiety of applying with that on my AMCAS; it's not worth it. Don't let people smoke weed in your car (whyyy) and if your roommate won't stop, find another one.

Your question is impossible to answer because ADCOMs are diverse people. In my case, it came up in one interview and the interviewer went off on a tangent about their flower child days. Its not a guarantee that just because it's legal that ADCOMs wouldn't have a bias.

Minimize risk to your body, mind, and your future plans.

Reactions: 2 users
It could make it extremely difficult/impossible to obtain a DEA license depending on the circumstances making a conviction potentially career ending.

This was dumb, and life has consequences.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're this scared about marijuana, then stop associating with people who smoke it.

Doing anything else means you're being needlessly paranoid. Are you equally as scared of someone breaking into your home and stealing all of your stuff?

Being scared of an extremely rare hypothetical and trying to learn more about how to get around something that hasn't even happened and likely never will is the height of neuroticism.

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't been convicted yet, but I get paranoid every day of being convicted. For example, a passenger in my car or my roommate can be smoking it, and I can get charged. Or worse, it may be left in a rental car I rent. I think this thread will also help others who do have convictions.

If I'm convicted in a state where marijuana is illegal, but go to medical school or a job in a state where it is more legal than speeding or decriminalized, will adcoms or future employers look at it negatively given that in their view, the crime I committed is not a crime, or they are pro-marijuana themselves. It is like getting a reckless driving conviction in Virginia for driving 83 in a 70, while in that state, it would merely be a civil infraction. Or being convicted of having illegal prescription drugs in Japan that I got legally from a doctor in the USA

Lets clarify this.
1) WEED IS STILL ILLEGAL IN EVERY STATE
2) it is still a federal crime that is enforced by the DEA
3) The DEA also grant licenses for controlled substances/prescriptions that every doctor needs
4) Do not screw around when the DEA is involved

Reactions: 7 users
Lets clarify this.
1) WEED IS STILL ILLEGAL IN EVERY STATE
2) it is still a federal crime that is enforced by the DEA
3) The DEA also grant licenses for controlled substances/prescriptions that every doctor needs
4) Do not screw around when the DEA is involved

I actually agree with this.
The medical profession is a conservative one and I think weed (no matter how many ppl are advocating for their legalization etc)-is still a risk in the medical arena. Once it’s on your record, it’s permanent so I wouldn’t take that chance.

I actually agree with this.
The medical profession is a conservative one and I think weed (no matter how many ppl are advocating for their legalization etc)-is still a risk in the medical arena. Once it’s on your record, it’s permanent so I wouldn’t take that chance.
Even more so as medical schools and hospitals become part of large, corporate healthcare systems, where the "image" for marketing and branding is the most important thing. The General Counsel, the legal arm of all these, may not want any issues and therefore will scrutinize and may deny access to those who have anything on their record as they do not want any possible negative press.

Status
Not open for further replies.