Hypothetical situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, before anyone makes assumptions, this is purely hypothetical and some "forward thinking" ...

I'm currently a civilian MS-4 student. I'm applying in this year's match. I've wanted to join the FAP program; however, I think one has to have a match prior to joining the FAP?

Anyways, worst situation, and I don't match. Is it possible to still sign on with the FAP as a flight surgeon? Or ... even if one is not allowed to do FAP, is one allowed to "scramble" into a flight surgeon position?

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Now, before anyone makes assumptions, this is purely hypothetical and some "forward thinking" ...

I'm currently a civilian MS-4 student. I'm applying in this year's match. I've wanted to join the FAP program; however, I think one has to have a match prior to joining the FAP?

Anyways, worst situation, and I don't match. Is it possible to still sign on with the FAP as a flight surgeon? Or ... even if one is not allowed to do FAP, is one allowed to "scramble" into a flight surgeon position?

Thanks for your time.

No. FAP is for residents and they set quotas based on specialty. There is no FAP quota for flight surgeons.

No. FAP is for residents and they set quotas based on specialty. There is no FAP quota for flight surgeons.

So, are you saying one may be allowed to join on as a flight surgeon if they did not match as a civilian in the civilian match?

So, are you saying one may be allowed to join on as a flight surgeon if they did not match as a civilian in the civilian match?

To join as a flight surgeon, you need to have completed an internship and have a valid medical license. So, if you don't match for a residency and complete a transitional year....yes, you can join.