Hypothetical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnich1914

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let’s say that an individual had their med school tuition covered (50-100%). If that person was still interested in becoming a military physician would they still have to apply to HPSP or could they simply become an officer while going to school and not having to payback for med school years?

Members don't see this ad.

I joined the Air Force through the Financial Assistance Program (FAP) - I was already a med school graduate and joined during my residency. The AF supported me financially through two years of residency, and then I was on active duty. The payback was 1-for-1, plus 1, so my initial commitment was 3 years. That's shorter than the HPSP payback and also gave me the freedom to train in whatever residency/field I wanted.

I also met some older physicians at officer training who joined up after several years in civilian practice. I don't know the terms of their commitment. Presumably it involved some kind of sign-on bonus but I don't know how much nor the length of their initial commitment.

I also don't know if you can join "while going to school" if you're not HPSP, but I don't know how important that aspect is (vs just waiting until after medical school) if your goal is to be a military physician.

So, no, HPSP or USUHS are not the only ways to become a military physician. Good luck!

Yeah if you still want to join then I would do FAP or direct commission after completion of residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A few possible paths. Be aware that although there may not be a med school "payback" period, joining through ANY mechanism will involve a minimum length of service. You can't just try it out for a few months and quit, they way you might ditch Kaiser if you don't like their cafeteria.

1) Financial Assistance Program (FAP). Go to medical school. Do a civilian residency. Get financial support while a civilian resident in return for serving on active duty for a period of time afterwards.

2) Direct Accession. Go to medical school. Do a civilian residency. Join and get a $ bonus for joining (amounts vary, as do the specialties that offer this bonus - difficult to predict 5-10 years in advance).

3) HPSP. Go to medical school, get a stipend, and get tuition/books paid for by the military (even if you already have it 50-100% covered). Have the opportunity to apply for an inservice residency. Service obligation from medical school, which may be extended depending on length of inservice residency.