1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical Tax Question

Discussion in 'Finance and Investment' started by Anastasis, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So say I recieved a gift of stocks from a relative (worth less than 11k). I know that gift isn't taxed, BUT if I sell the stocks to buy something else, pay for med school, or reinvest would the income then become taxable?

Also - would it matter if I waited a year? (I know investments held more than a year are subject to capital gains tax and not income tax).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tired Pigeon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the gain you make when you sell is taxable. This would be the price at which you sell MINUS the value at the time of the gift (the 'cost basis') for your stock. I think the one year thing has to do with whether you can have that gain taxed at a lower rate (as a long-term capital gain) instead of being taxed at the rate of ordinary income; if you're already in a really low tax bracket I'm not sure it makes much difference.

Just to emphasize, I'm NOT an accountant or financial advisor - just someone who has paid taxes on stocks in the past. The IRS guidelines should also spell things out pretty clearly, since this is not really a deeply complicated transaction. If you're talking about a serious amount of money, though, it's probably worth it to consult a professional.

4. etf

etf

yeah, what tired pigeon said is essentially correct. your basis is whatever the value was the day the transfer completed, and if you hold for a year you can count it as a long term gain; otherwise it's ordinary income.

5. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety

Attending Physician
    Thanks guys :)

Isn't there some kind of packet I can order from the IRS that explains tax law? (at least the simple aspects of it).

6. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    There is, but I don't think you want to read it, or flip through it for that matter.

Here

7. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry, the above advice is WRONG. The cost basis for a gift is whatever the cost basis the donor had for that security, which may be very low. The value on the day you received it is irrelevant. The basis only "steps-up" if you inherit the security. Finally, the recipient doesn't need to worry about gift taxes -- that's the donor's obligation.

Ed