I AM DONE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blaquestar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have tried for 9 years to gain acceptance into medical school with my furthest outcome being waitlisted. I have decided it's time to move on with my life/career but am stuck on what career to pursue. I want to stay in the medical field and have researched several different careers such as nursing, medical dosimetrist, physical therapy, radiation therapy, occupational therapy, medical laboratory careers, medical technician careers etc., which, unfortunately, I have found no interest in. Maybe I am missing a career niche in the medical field and would like to know what others in my position have chosen to become. Thanks for your responses in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In ‘11 you had been accepted to med school and were starting in ‘12. What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just get waitlisted this past cycle or it’s been on and off? Did you possibly get any feedback from the schools? Getting waitlisted is further progression than most people I’d hate to suggest something else if your that close....

Sorry to hear about this. Have you thought about computer science? Coding bootcamps are available with job placement in almost every major city in America. 10 weeks of intense training and you are off to a career. You could be go direct entry NP which will take 3ish years. Good luck.

I have tried for 9 years to gain acceptance into medical school with my furthest outcome being waitlisted. I have decided it's time to move on with my life/career but am stuck on what career to pursue. I want to stay in the medical field and have researched several different careers such as nursing, medical dosimetrist, physical therapy, radiation therapy, occupational therapy, medical laboratory careers, medical technician careers etc., which, unfortunately, I have found no interest in. Maybe I am missing a career niche in the medical field and would like to know what others in my position have chosen to become. Thanks for your responses in advance!

What about Podiatry? Or optometrist?

I understand your sentiments - your dedication and commitment is admirable, and is something you shouldn't underestimate as a positive going forward.

Consider a nurse practitioner (NP) program. You can practice medicine independently in many states, you can specialize like you can as a physician, and from what I can tell, it is a more accessible path for non-trads than medical schools. I've known enough older candidates to come to believe that, unlike medical schools, the NP programs are serious about older non-trads. NP "bridge" programs specialize in career changers, and take 3 or 4 years.

Even better, if you are a guy, you'll have diversity working in your favor! :)

Last edited:
I understand your sentiments - I'm similarly embittered (maybe more), and it only took 5 years for me. Your dedication and commitment is admirable.

Consider a nurse practitioner (NP) program. You can practice medicine independently in many states, you can specialize like you can as a physician, and you don't have to put up with all that medical school admissions BS. I've known enough older candidates to come to believe that, unlike medical schools, the NP programs actually put their money where their mouth is in terms of appreciating older non-trads (rather than just bloviating rhetoric). NP "bridge" programs specialize in career changers, and take 3 or 4 years.

Even better, if you are a guy, you'll have diversity working in your favor.

I think a lot of this is true of PA as well. Certainly not at all bad options - not to mention solid pay and high demand.

I think a lot of this is true of PA as well. Certainly not at all bad options - not to mention solid pay and high demand.

I thought quite long and hard about the PA path, but it would have exacerbated some of the problems with my own background - in particular the very steep clinical experience requirements (typically 2K hours, sometimes more, and in some cases a lot more). In other words, the PA path seemed more useful for young candidates (who could afford to take a few years being a CNA or EMT to gain those clinical hours), or those already in the health care professions, but wanting to "upgrade". The NP bridge programs are targeted at career changers, and accommodate the fact that these candidates simply aren't likely to have a ton of clinical experience because of their background.

Of all the NPs that I know, every single one absolutely *loves* it (which is *not* true for the docs I know). One of them didn't become an NP until she was 54.

Another issue to consider between the NP and PA paths are supervision requirements. In my state, PAs must be supervised, while NPs can practice independently (this isn't true in all states, however).

A downside to the NP program is the PA program is much shorter (2 years), and the NP bridge programs are 3 to 4 years (so half the debt for the PA). However, either of which is far better than 7-10+ years for an MD/DO. One NP I know said she came out with about $120K in debt, and got rid of a big chunk of that by participating in one of those rural service debt forgiveness programs.

Anyways, I didn't consider these options when I applied to medical school, and really wish I had been more aware of them - probably a better fit for my own background as a much older career changer. At the time, I didn't even know that NPs could provide primary care.

- Tom

Last edited:

... and you're right about the demand - it is sky high. Particularly in rural and underserved areas, where physicians don't want to go.

... and you're right about the demand - it is sky high. Particularly in rural and underserved areas, where physicians don't want to go.

Best of luck to you friend. I’m 30 and starting this journey to MD/DO or PA/NP. You’ve done a lot, pick something that let’s you provide care and slay it. You’ve got options.

Of all the NPs that I know, every single one absolutely *loves* it (which is *not* true for the docs I know). One of them didn't become an NP until she was 54.

I know several NPs who do not enjoy their jobs, both because of the pay (in SoCal, RNs can easily make as much as NPs) or the actual job. I know more than one who quit to go back to being an RN because they felt woefully unprepared to independently care for patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about this. Have you thought about computer science? Coding bootcamps are available with job placement in almost every major city in America. 10 weeks of intense training and you are off to a career. You could be go direct entry NP which will take 3ish years. Good luck.
Sorry to derail thread, but i need more info on this.

Seriously @Blaquestar what happened... or are you just another... troll... ?
6CA4ECCE-2E3B-4277-94EA-6A54A8BAA2ED.jpeg
95A47AD1-E0DC-442F-860C-BD5EF98E0BE9.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Well this took a turn. Those two posts don't even make sense, because OP wouldn't have have even started med school by Februrary, yet he's talking about how taking a year off was great for preparing him for the rigors of med school.

Assuming OP is not a troll, I can't imagine that you'd find a lot of satisfaction working closely with physicians every day when you tried so hard and so long to get into medical school. I expect you'd find that to be painful. I'd say do something totally outside medicine.

You would have a lot of the early classes finished for chemical or biomedical engineering. If you can get through cal a fine you can make it through most engineering programs. Cal a is normally a weed out for engineering and sets the standard for the classes. Software engineering is paying incredibly well today. Personally I wouldn't want to sit in a cube and code all day though.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your responses and advice I will look into all the careers that have been suggested. To answer some questions: No, I did not get into medical school, if I did I wouldn't have posted this and No, I am not trolling. I really value other people's input on big decisions. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice I will look into all the careers that have been suggested. To answer some questions: No, I did not get into medical school, if I did I wouldn't have posted this and No, I am not trolling. I really value other people's input on big decisions. Thanks!

Then why did you say you were accepted to medical school, and then a few months later say you're glad you deferred a year before starting medical school?

Then why did you say you were accepted to medical school, and then a few months later say you're glad you deferred a year before starting medical school?

I'm not sure where you're getting this information from but you must be confusing my acceptance into a medical school post-bac with an actual medical school acceptance. Either way, like I have said, I did NOT get into medical school and if I did I would not have started this post. I am only here to gain constructive advice!! Thank you!!

He was lying... quite possibly because he was in denial. There's no use in dwelling on that at this point.

OP, what are your GPA and standardized test score(s)? When did you last take the MCAT?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure where you're getting this information from but you must be confusing my acceptance into a medical school post-bac with an actual medical school acceptance. Either way, like I have said, I did NOT get into medical school and if I did I would not have started this post. I am only here to gain constructive advice!! Thank you!!

I'm getting it from the screenshots of your posts above where you literally say that you took off a year before med school, and it helped. Also the post where you literally say, "Yes I have already been accepted to med school!" So no, I'm not confusing anything. You're either lying, or you said med school when you meant med school postbacc. But given the rest of that post and the other one, I think you were just lying.

Reactions: 2 users
He was lying... quite possibly because he was in denial. There's no use in dwelling on that at this point.

OP, what are your GPA and standardized test score(s)? When did you last take the MCAT?

I mean, he was obviously lying about getting into med school. Why should I think he's not just trolling now?

I mean, he was obviously lying about getting into med school. Why should I think he's not just trolling now?

I am not going to argue with you! You have a right to believe what you like! At the end of the day it doesn't effect me! Thanks!!

I am not going to argue with you! You have a right to believe what you like! At the end of the day it doesn't effect me! Thanks!!

Your history of lying, and this reaction to being called out on it, are likely directly related to your failure to get into medical school.

Just so you know.

Reactions: 6 users
Well, in the event that someone might be interested, anesthesia assistant school is also another good option. The anesthesiologists that I have shadowed said they prefer those over CRNAs.

Well, in the event that someone might be interested, anesthesia assistant school is also another good option. The anesthesiologists that I have shadowed said they prefer those over CRNAs.

Thanks for the input! I heard about AA's! From what I understood it's a fairly new but an up and coming profession. I will look into it!!

Did you try D.O. school yet? There are so many new D.O. school open now, you should at least get 1 spot. No need to go Caribean though

Did you try D.O. school yet? There are so many new D.O. school open now, you should at least get 1 spot. No need to go Caribean though

Yeah, multiple people have advised me not to pursue the Caribbean school route.

Is this thread a social psych experiment? Like...to see how willing people are to believe two contradictory facts?

Reactions: 3 users
You did not say "I got into a post bacc" you said

"Yes I got accepted into med school"

If you're not only going to lie, and then deny lying with a screenshot proving you're lying, I'm glad you won't be leading patient care.

This guy has Speech level 100 lmao can't believe people are believing him

You did not say "I got into a post bacc" you said

"Yes I got accepted into med school"

If you're not only going to lie, and then deny lying with a screenshot proving you're lying, I'm glad you won't be leading patient care.
Not only lied but fervently ignoring it now in this post! Lol.

I like how OP is presented evidence of him saying that he got into medical school. And then says we are “confusing it” that he actually got into postbacc and not medical school. No one is “confusing” anything. YOU could simply admit that you are wrong and lied though.

Maybe it's good that you won't become a doctor. Your colleagues and patients deserve an honest physician. I can't imagine what other things you've lied about.

Maybe it's good that you won't become a doctor. Your colleagues and patients deserve an honest physician. I can't imagine what other things you've lied about.
It's scary thinking people along the same moral lines have made it.

I'm not sure where you're getting this information from but you must be confusing my acceptance into a medical school post-bac with an actual medical school acceptance

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but post-bac programs don't have a "residency" as you referenced in your post. You clearly lied about getting into medical school. It's not a question of opinion. That's a pretty serious character flaw and I'm glad you didn't get in.

95a47ad1-e0dc-442f-860c-bd5ef98e0be9-jpeg.232496