Which classes are highest priority to get done before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bvmedapp

Reaction score
I've got a Bachelors in Computer Science (GPA ~3.7, didn't apply myself) and I've been working in industry a few years, so I had virtually no science pre reqs. I started classes in the summer and an intersession, so I've done BIO 1, Gen Chem w/ Lab, Physics 1 w/ Lab, the humanities, and I'm currently in Gen Chem II and Org 1 w/ Labs. Currently it looks like I'll retain a post-bacc 4.0 through the semester.

There's no way I can finish every pre-req before applying in summer of 2023, but I've heard its possible to apply while still having a few to go. As far as I can tell, after this semester I still need:

OChem II
Biochem I
Physics II
2 or 3 more BIO classes

I'm taking the MCAT in the spring of 23', so classes that contribute to that would be nice, but possibly not necessary. Which classes should I prioritize in the spring, so that not having a few classes finished doesn't harm my application?

Members don't see this ad.

The ones that technically are covered on the MCAT are higher priority, so P2, OC2/BC... it sounds like you have to take OC2 before taking BC1 so if you are required to go in order, that's where you should go. But check if your program would let you take BC1 before OC2 or maybe take both concurrently.

Reactions: 1 users
The ones that technically are covered on the MCAT are higher priority, so P2, OC2/BC... it sounds like you have to take OC2 before taking BC1 so if you are required to go in order, that's where you should go. But check if your program would let you take BC1 before OC2 or maybe take both concurrently.
My program has said it would allow me to take BC1 before or concurrent with OC2, actually. They also gave me some leeway allowing me to take GC2 concurrently with OC1

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC, most schools are ok with whatever as long as you have the requirements completed by matriculation. As Mr.Smile12 pointed out, having the course material covered for taking the MCAT is the priority.

Reactions: 1 user
IIRC, most schools are ok with whatever as long as you have the requirements completed by matriculation. As Mr.Smile12 pointed out, having the course material covered for taking the MCAT is the priority.
Out of curiosity, since a lot of people say “most schools are fine with it”, do you have an example of a school that would not be fine with it, or a generalization about the category of those schools?

I don't have an example of a school that wouldn't be fine with it. I think in general most if not all schools are ok with one finishing by matriculation opposed to application.

"As with your degree, you have to complete your prerequisites for medical school prior to matriculating to medical school. In other words, you can apply to medical school even if you have a few outstanding prerequisite courses to complete. So long as you get them all done before matriculation, you’ll be just fine."

The gatekeeper courses are ochem, biochem, and physics. An applicant's grade in one of those subjects is typically the place where something other than an A will occur. So, if an adcom is looking at two similar applicants and one of them does not yet have a grade for the above courses, the one with the grade (assuming it's a good grade) will win the tiebreaker for an interview. Ochem, in particular, is the place where med school aspirations go to die :rofl:

I've got a Bachelors in Computer Science (GPA ~3.7, didn't apply myself) and I've been working in industry a few years, so I had virtually no science pre reqs. I started classes in the summer and an intersession, so I've done BIO 1, Gen Chem w/ Lab, Physics 1 w/ Lab, the humanities, and I'm currently in Gen Chem II and Org 1 w/ Labs. Currently it looks like I'll retain a post-bacc 4.0 through the semester.

There's no way I can finish every pre-req before applying in summer of 2023, but I've heard its possible to apply while still having a few to go. As far as I can tell, after this semester I still need:

OChem II
Biochem I
Physics II
2 or 3 more BIO classes

I'm taking the MCAT in the spring of 23', so classes that contribute to that would be nice, but possibly not necessary. Which classes should I prioritize in the spring, so that not having a few classes finished doesn't harm my application?
Of the ochem 2, biochem 1, and physics, and bio, I would say 2nd semester of bio and physics II are necessary for every school. I don't see many schools requiring ochem 2 or biochem 1 when applying. Also, I'm not sure whether it's necessary to do all of the classes before applying but the basic ones like 1 year of gen chem, physics, and bio.