I am in!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ink

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to the University of South Alabama College of Medicine.

I am the happiest person in the whole wide World!

Thank you for your support on this forum. I learned so much about the application process.

It was worth applying twice.

ink:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats ink :horns: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! :clap:

Johnny

Originally posted by ink

Thank you for your support on this forum. I learned so much about the application process.

:clap:

Great job! :D

For the benefit of the people here, what do you think made the difference the second time around?

Thanks guys.

What did I do differently this time that got me in? Good question. Dr. Andrew

1. Improved MCAT score by 5 points.
2. Got a master's degree in Public Health. I am not sure if getting a master's degree is a plus, but I learned so much about health care during past two years in school. And I have no regreat about this degree.
3. I gained lots of work experience. I have had enough volunteering experiences when I applied in 2001. But some clinical research experience was lacking. So I got involved in three different research jobs since then. Of course, it was part-time cuz I was a full-time student the whole time.
4. Most importantly, I applied to a lot more schools this time (18 MD + DO) I got five interview invitations so far, and went to three of them. And I did some research before applying each school this time. I called the admissions office and asked following question.
"what is the average MCAT and GPA scores for your entering class?" And this really helps because you do not want to send an application if your MCAT/GPA is considerably lower than their average.

Hope this helps.

ink, I PM'd you.

I am entering USACOM this fall. We'll be classmates!!

:D :thumbup:

Congratulations...I know the feeling and it is great. Good for you:clap:

How do you guys handle the pressure of applying to 20+ schools,
spending thousands of dollars on application fees, interviews, writing 20+ autobiographical essays, and having to work? I got dizzy from reading some of your inputs - why go through hell for all of this? How are you going to handle rejections if you don't get in after spending so much money?:wow: :scared:

1. Pick up a part time job the summer before you apply, to finance your apps.

2. Start writing your supplemental essays early with the help of info found on SDN

3. Believe me, when those interviews invites start pouring in, it is well worth it.

4. You may think this is a lot of money (the shotgun approach) but it is better than reapplyin', or registering for more post bacc courses, or retaking the MCAT!

5. So you may think it is crazy, but for us, it was well worth it.

6. Think of the mastercard commercial "acceptance to medical school for 2004 = priceless

Cheers!
rmp

P.S. FYI: applied to 21 schools through AMCAS, submitted 19 secondaries. I ran out of steam for the last two, plus an acceptance helped me nix the last one from my list.

7 interview invites, attended 5 so far, 1 upcoming, and I'll decline the last.

In the long run it was definitely worth it. Few of my safety schools contacted me, but thankfully my reach institutions quickly responded with interview invites, go figure, but I'm ecstatic.

So, if I had been conservative in my numbers and only applied to safety schools I may have been S.O.L.

It has been said many times before, but, I will repeat it again, THIS PROCESS IS A CRAPSHOOT!

Application Disclaimer: If you have a 34 and above MCAT, 3.75 and above science and cum gpa, excellent EC's, and glowing LOR's you can DISREGARD THE ABOVE POST. It does not apply to you, enjoy your golden status.

Again, cheers to all my fellow SDN'ers, from your friendly, soon to me be M1, rmp.

Originally posted by stwei
How do you guys handle the pressure of applying to 20+ schools,
spending thousands of dollars on application fees, interviews, writing 20+ autobiographical essays, and having to work? I got dizzy from reading some of your inputs - why go through hell for all of this? How are you going to handle rejections if you don't get in after spending so much money?:wow: :scared:

congrats!! you know people just need to remember to believe in themselves and do what needs to be done!! great job. :clap: :clap:

:clap::clap: But you're not the happiest person in the world. Well, okay, maybe I'll share the title with you.

Originally posted by ink

That's great. many congrats to you
1074.gif
604.gif
604.gif

Congrats!!! Good luck next year

Congrats!!!!:clap:

Isn't it a wonderful feeling! I know I am still riding that wave. Good luck this fall and the rest of your carreer! Keep believing!:clap: :clap: