I am international student here who got in a dental school. ASK ME QS, love to help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistQiQi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Through years of driving, I finally can become a dentist in US. FYI, I am from China, but I did my undergrad and grad schools in U.S. I know there might be a very small amount of Chinese are going into healthcare field. WHY? I have no idea.

When I was starting this journey, NO ONE NO ONE (like that song) can help me from the beginning to the end. I am kind of figure everything out by myself.

So I would like to help you guys out in this new cycle.

If you are Chinese feel free to PM me in Chinese. More than happy to help.

Best

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Did you finish your dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably, you can add me on WeChat. lol

Reactions: 1 user
Asking this for a close friend of mine....

How competitive do international applicant stats need to be? Do they need to be significantly higher than American citizens e.g. 3.6 cGPA 23AA versus 3.5 oGPA 21AA? Or is there no significant disadvantage? Also I'm assuming internationals have better chance at getting into private dental schools as opposed to public d-school? She is deathly worried about the whole Trump situation.

Hi, my friends around me have very competitive GPA and dat, and they are doing great in this cycle. So, I am not sure if good stats are necessary or not.

As long as he/she applies to schools that accept international students, he/she should have a shot. But, I believe that private schools are more likely to get in.

Hope this can help your friend.

Hi guys,

Through years of driving, I finally can become a dentist in US. FYI, I am from China, but I did my undergrad and grad schools in U.S. I know there might be a very small amount of Chinese are going into healthcare field. WHY? I have no idea.

When I was starting this journey, NO ONE NO ONE (like that song) can help me from the beginning to the end. I am kind of figure everything out by myself.

Best
Thanks for offering to help! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Do you have a green card?

Asking this for a close friend of mine....

How competitive do international applicant stats need to be? Do they need to be significantly higher than American citizens e.g. 3.6 cGPA 23AA versus 3.5 oGPA 21AA? Or is there no significant disadvantage? Also I'm assuming internationals have better chance at getting into private dental schools as opposed to public d-school? She is deathly worried about the whole Trump situation.
Yeah I think private schools are the better choices for her/him. I do not think Trump is hurt guys to get in personally. Again, I do not think numbers are the only measure for you and also for the admissions. So be yourself and try your best. They will see. If they did not see those, that means you need to work harder.

I am an international student here as well. I will be applying this cycle and would love some advice on how you applied for loans. I am very worried about that part. I have a very high GPA and good experience. Will take DAT in 3 weeks, hopefully it will go well and if I get accepted in any school, I don't know how I would proceed with the loan part. I have family here that can co-sign for it but different people recommend different ways. Some say you can get loans through private banks, some through some different websites. If you had to go through the same thing I would really appreciate to let me know how you proceeded. And good luck in your journey!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind sharing your statistics? I see that you got into NYU, and it is one of the schools on top of my list. I was thinking it'd be helpful if I can compare my stats with those of yours. Thank you

Could someone list USA dental schools that easily accept international students who had their undergraduate education in the USA? I know OF NYU and I see people saying most private schools

Same I'd love to know where you guys applied! and where you got the interview invites from and acceptance! With you could post stats that would be awesome too!

Fun thread. International student here too. Happy to know I'm not alone applying.
OP how may schools did you apply to? How many interviews did you get?

If you have a green card are you still considered to be an international student/is it still as hard to get in?

Hope that question makes sense lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you have a green card are you still considered to be an international student/is it still as hard to get in?

No if you hold a green card, you are called a permanent resident. It is nowhere near as hard as internationals to gain admission to grad schools.

Naw, greencard is a whole different thing =)

Hi guys,

Best

what schools should I apply to as an international student doing her undergrad in the US?

Hello everyone! I’m so happy I found this thread. I’m an international student, already accepted to 3 schools to become a part of the 2022 class. I am now trying to figure out the whole loan situation. If anyone has any insight or suggestions for this, I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions you might have.

Hi guys,

Best
Hi I am also from China and applying this cycle. Can we add wechat? I feel like we will have a lot to talk about!

Hi I am also from China and applying this cycle. Can we add wechat? I feel like we will have a lot to talk about!
I am from China too. Can I add your wechat?

Hello everyone! I’m so happy I found this thread. I’m an international student, already accepted to 3 schools to become a part of the 2022 class. I am now trying to figure out the whole loan situation. If anyone has any insight or suggestions for this, I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions you might have.

What schools did you apply to that were OOS/international friendly? I have a working list but I'm trying to get as much input as possible :)

What schools did you apply to that were OOS/international friendly? I have a working list but I'm trying to get as much input as possible :)

I applied to Nova, Boston University, NYU, University of New England, Howard, Meharry, Creighton, ASDOH, Western U, Tufts and University of Maryland

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

Best
Hey, I am an international student too, finishing my undergrad in the US. just took my DAT for the second time with 17AA and 18TS. do you think I have a chance to get in if I apply to only private schools on the first day that cycle opens?

Hi guys,

Best
Hey, I am an international student too, finishing my undergrad in the US. just took my DAT for the second time with 17AA and 18TS. do you think I have a chance to get in if I apply to only private schools on the first day that cycle opens?

To be honest, the chance is very slim. It doesn’t matter how soon you submit your application. Cuz your DAT is not very high. For international students, get at least 22AA/TS or above.

Hello everyone!

I’ve created a Facebook page to get international students together. My goal is to share as much information as possible, since I know how hard it can be to find answers to certain topics as an international student.

The page is called “International Dental Students in the US”. I would appreciate the like and follow, and feel free to ask any questions you may have! I’ll do my best to help you out.

Hi I am also an international student doing my undergrad in USA. Did you have to do any shadowing?

Hi I am also an international student doing my undergrad in USA. Did you have to do any shadowing?
Application process is almost exactly the same for non-US residents as US residents, which does include shadowing, DAT and prereqs. Only thing that may differ is ID verification, if any