I am unsure where I stand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

general987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering where I stand. I am biased against myself and take the more conservative approach, which means I have a low chance of getting in. Would love to hear opinions, thank you :)

I really want to stay in California (that is where I am from). Would i have a descent chance to stay here? Or have a shot in New York (my whole family is from there). Thank you :)

Double Major : Biology/ Social Sciences

Cumulative GPA: 3.7 Gpa (Last 120 units have average of 3.88 GPA) Upward trend since End of sophomore year.
Science GPA: 3.55
MCAT: 35

Clinical:
I completed EMT and EKG courses. Interned in 5 different departments in a hospital for 1.5 years. Interned at a family health clinic for a total of 9 months. And interned at a community based clinic (government sponsored) for 8 months in rural.

Nonclinical:
Student government for the last 3 years. Left many marks such as rebuilding the new government structure, re-instating voting rights, approving key legislations for the school too. Also have various other activities such as TAing (1.5 years), Peer advising for 3 years, philanthropy based organizations, community service.

Research:
Completed a thesis related to the social sciences. Have 2 years of chemical research - possible publication, 2 conferences, posters. May be joining a new lab - new interests! :)

Work:
I have worked as a server/cashier at a restaurant my first two years of undergraduate. Became a business partner during the last two.

Any suggestions would be great :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I was wondering where I stand. I am biased against myself and take the more conservative approach, which means I have a low chance of getting in. Would love to hear opinions, thank you :)

I really want to stay in California (that is where I am from). Would i have a descent chance to stay here? Or have a shot in New York (my whole family is from there). Thank you :)

Double Major : Biology/ Social Sciences

Cumulative GPA: 3.7 Gpa (Last 120 units have average of 3.88 GPA) Upward trend since End of sophomore year.
Science GPA: 3.55
MCAT: 35

Clinical:
I completed EMT and EKG courses. Interned in 5 different departments in a hospital for 1.5 years. Interned at a family health clinic for a total of 9 months. And interned at a community based clinic (government sponsored) for 8 months in rural.

Nonclinical:
Student government for the last 3 years. Left many marks such as rebuilding the new government structure, re-instating voting rights, approving key legislations for the school too. Also have various other activities such as TAing (1.5 years), Peer advising for 3 years, philanthropy based organizations, community service.

Research:
Completed a thesis related to the social sciences. Have 2 years of chemical research - possible publication, 2 conferences, posters. May be joining a new lab - new interests! :)

Work:
I have worked as a server/cashier at a restaurant my first two years of undergraduate. Became a business partner during the last two.

Any suggestions would be great :)
Do you have any formal physician shadowing?

How many hours of hands-on (not fundraising) nonmedical community service and with what type of organization(s)?

What type of patient interaction have your clinical gigs permitted? Did you use your EMT or EKG skills?

In what did you advise your peers?

Has any of your leadership required delegating tasks to others, with you having over-all responsibility for the outcome.

Are your LORs in progress?

Any legal or Institutional Action issues?

Do you have any formal physician shadowing?

How many hours of hands-on (not fundraising) nonmedical community service and with what type of organization(s)?

What type of patient interaction have your clinical gigs permitted? Did you use your EMT or EKG skills?

In what did you advise your peers?

Has any of your leadership required delegating tasks to others, with you having over-all responsibility for the outcome.

Are your LORs in progress?

Any legal or Institutional Action issues?

Many apologies for not including those details.
-I do have formal physician shadowing - roughly 100 hours.
-I have had over 200 hours with the non-medical community service organizations. The -types of organizations are the following: student government, honor societies, and committees. The 200 hours is the collective sum of all three types.
-The clinical gigs allowed me to collect vitals on patients, charting, be the first point of contact with patients when they come in, I have set up EKGs for them, I did quite a bit of ambulatory tasks while in the hospital.
-I was a peer advisor in the pre-medical office at my school. I also helped facilitate high school outreach through the office to local high schools with the other advisors.
-Most of the leadership required delegating tasks (nature of student government). But many initiatives were started by me.
-LORs are in progress. I have 7 anticipated. All 7 should be quite strong.
-No legal or institutional actions.

Thank you so much! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The shadowing hours are excellent. I would hope that they include a primary care doc (pediatrician, internist, family doc, etc).

It would strengthen your application if you have some hands-on nonmedical community service that helps those in need, provided through an organization whose mission you care about.

Your active clinical experience sounds good.

Overall, your application is likely to be very good. How you describe things will be key. I would include hobbies and/or artistic endeavors to help yourself look well-rounded and interesting and maybe stand out, and to give adcomms something neutral with which to start a conversation. I bit of sizzle would be nice.

Despite that, I can make no assurance that you'll get to stay in California. As you know, there are far too many excellent applicants for far too few spots.

The shadowing hours are excellent. I would hope that they include a primary care doc (pediatrician, internist, family doc, etc).

It would strengthen your application if you have some hands-on nonmedical community service that helps those in need, provided through an organization whose mission you care about.

Your active clinical experience sounds good.

Overall, your application is likely to be very good. How you describe things will be key. I would include hobbies and/or artistic endeavors to help yourself look well-rounded and interesting and maybe stand out, and to give adcomms something neutral with which to start a conversation. I bit of sizzle would be nice.

Despite that, I can make no assurance that you'll get to stay in California. As you know, there are far too many excellent applicants for far too few spots.

The shadowing hours are all with a family medicine doctor. And thank you for the suggestions :) I had a feeling that is where I might need to support my application - the non-medical community service. I know how competitive California is and it's a bit disheartening. Thank you for the sound advice!!!

You seem like a great applicant. I would say apply very early (be complete in June-July) and apply to some out of state safety schools (at least 10 of them) just to be on the safe side. Best of luck!

You seem like a great applicant. I would say apply very early (be complete in June-July) and apply to some out of state safety schools (at least 10 of them) just to be on the safe side. Best of luck!

Will definitely do that! Thank you!!