I blew the MCAT, need help on deciding what I should do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsc2879

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT scores back. However, I screw it . I got only 28M, and I expected a 33.

VR: 9 ( i am an esl btw)
PS: 11
BS: 8
W: M
I think I did everything right expect the mcat. I am thinking about several options, but each has its drawbacks.

retaking the mcat on Jan, but I will spend one more year before med school. If other options fail, I have to do this at the end.

applying for DO school. I do not know if it is too late. it is August already.

applying for some schools I am on the edge of the accepting mcat scores.
Like: Albany; Boston; Drexel; George Washington; Georgetown; Jefferson; Penn State; and Temple.

Below is my basic resume if you dont want to check the mdapplicants. I am a bioengineering major and an asian male. welcome your input.

Also one more question, if I chose not to release my mcat scores, the med school wont see it, right?

Overall GPA: 3.79
Science GPA: 3.83

Brief Profile:
Awards and Grants:
The Dean's List (still think it is redundant to list)
The Presidential Freshman Award
The Schreyer Honors College Summer Grant
The College of Engineering Summer Research Grant
The Schreyer Honors Thesis Research Grant

Research Experiences
Nanofludic research May 2010 – Present 20 hrs each week, and two months during the summer, ended with a honors thesis and a poster at BMES symposium
Organic chemistry research May 2009 - July 2009 paid position
Another poster at the Northeast Regional Honors Conference in March 2009

Leaderships
Business Committee Head of the Agora Liberal Arts Journal Club March 2010 – Present
Since the creation of the club, we published six journals and organized two fundraising events
Change-of-Campus Transitional Leader August 2010
Lion Ambassador (campus tour guide) August 2007 – May 2008
Also volunteer in some campus tour events

Teaching Experience
Math and science tutor at the learning center of the University and Upward Bound Program (tutor low-income high school students) March 2010-Present

Community Service – Medical
Volunteer at the Outpatient Surgical Unit at the Riddle Memorial Hospital a summer and a winter break (45hrs)
Volunteer at the Patient Floor at the Mount Nittany Hospital May 2010 to March 2011 (92.5hrs)

Community Service – nonMedical
I am going to serve in the City Year to tutor students in inner city high schools in Philly.

Physician Job Shadowing:
Shadowing with my family physician (D.O) - 16 hrs
I found this is the hardest part so far. I don't know how some of you guys made it, but I pulled out a phone book and called a lot of docs, but I got rejected with every one of them.

Others:
Mandarin Chinese is my primary language
Like reading and writing. Won a third place in China's Spring Blossom National Essay Contest, and also won some local essay prices. Trying to achieve more with my English writing since coming here. Have a letter to the editor published in the New York Times, and one article publish in the Agora Journal
In this year, just develop a three days per week workout routine and keep a health diet

Members don't see this ad.

out of all of that I only saw one question but if you had your MCAT scored (and you did because you received the score) the schools will see it. you cannot hide it. if you applied now you should be fine for DO. you may be successful to some MD schools but I wouldn't be selective. you have good ECs. good luck.

None of the Philly schools gave me love with an application very similar to yours until I retook the MCAT. Keep in mind that many of those institutions you listed receive 4-9 thousand applications. If you are going to apply to them get your stuff in ASAP. Certainly many schools will take a 28, but you are like many of us...the sea of 'generic' applicants that all apply to these schools. I think everyone on the east coast applies to GW, they got almost 14000 applications last year.

DO schools would eat up those stats if you show good interest. You still have time for them. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be better to wait a year and then retake the mcat. If you do better you could be looking at some higher tier schools. Some of the MD's you listed will probably just sort out your app b/c of the low score before even looking at it.

If you don't mind some of the lower tier ones you probably could continue with the process. Also you could add some DO's if you have your heart set on going this year.

one thing i am not certain is that I am not sure if it is too late for DO schools

out of all of that I only saw one question but if you had your MCAT scored (and you did because you received the score) the schools will see it. you cannot hide it. if you applied now you should be fine for DO. you may be successful to some MD schools but I wouldn't be selective. you have good ECs. good luck.

i will just quote my previous post.

What were your practice test scores? Did you do the AAMC exams? Did you specifically take AAMC 10 and 11?

another thing I worried about is I took mcat once in april and then voided it. will med schools know my score got voided?

another thing I worried about is I took mcat once in april and then voided it. will med schools know my score got voided?

No, and your 28M is fine. Just apply. People get into Harvard with a 26M, so you are fine

Yes, VS= verbal score.

In recent years, Asians applying with a 3.79/28 had about a 54% chance of an MD acceptance: http://i53.tinypic.com/ra9mp4.jpg (credit to sector9 for image).

Schools where your application stats would fit well:
Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU, Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (new in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, UIllinois (high OOS tuition), Buffalo, ETennessee (13%OOS)
EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)

Some that are also reasonable choices:
Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (new)

Last edited: