I canceled my interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willclock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think there used to be a thread called "Turning down interviews for you!" or something like it, but I couldn't find it in searches. Anyway, I think it would be helpful if people were to list info about interview(s) they canceled, so others interested in the school may benefit. ex: you could call in and see if they have an opening for an earlier date

My contribution: U of Rochester end of January interview (canceled two weeks ago)

Members don't see this ad.

I think there used to be a thread called "Turning down interviews for you!" or something like it, but I couldn't find it in searches. Anyway, I think it would be helpful if people were to list info about interview(s) they canceled, so others interested in the school may benefit. ex: you could call in and see if they have an opening for an earlier date

My contribution: U of Rochester end of January interview (canceled two weeks ago)

i cancelled albany

canceled USC and nymc, turned down mssm

Members don't see this ad :)
I cancelled:

BU
Tulane
SLU
NYMC

Indiana
Wake
Tufts

Albany, SUNY Upstate and I'm about to cancel EVMS.

Cancelled USC yesterday, interview was for 1/26/07

My contribution:

Florida
Wake Forest
Northwestern
Emory

I hope schools actually make an effort to fill these spots by sending out more invitations!

well, thanks to y'all who cancelled wake -- got an email invite today.

Members don't see this ad :)
nymc
boston university
oregon health sciences university

I dumped URochester last week.... :)

I read the title of this thread as "I canceled my (interview thread)" instead of "(I canceled my interview) thread". :confused:

SLU, (withdrew mid nov)
U of Hawaii, (withdrew mid nov)
Albany, (withdrew mid nov)
EVMS (withdrew mid nov)

havent heard from a school since. Thank you UVM, you saved me lots of money by accepting me early :)

Loyola
Meharry
MSU-CHM
Morehouse
RFU
Wayne State

Cancelled UC Davis, Wash U St. Louis, St. Louis Univ.

Pritzker
Medical University of South Carolina

AECOM
University of Vermont
Rosalind Franklin
Penn State

.... not really sure the relevance of pointing out which schools you don't care about going to while others still post about not having interviews ....

anyhow - i cancelled slu -

I noticed a number of people cancelled USC - could you explain why?

I have interview schedueled for the 31st... and I was pretty excited about it... :confused:

thanks -
Mike

Hi there.. Thank you for posting this info. It does seem really useful to try to ask for earlier interview dates at places that have already offered an interview.

But assuming we wanted to call a school, how would we approach this--just say "BTW, I happened hear that on Student Doctor Network that someone cancelled.. I was wondering if I could take their spot?" I don't know but I feel uncomfortable admitting my addiction to SDN.

Any ideas? Maybe just say "Have their been any cancellations?"

I canceled NYMC

Best of luck,
Dave

keep canceling everyone. :D

I would, USC is verrrry different place than UCSD.

edit/ why the ninja edit?

I realize USC is verrry different, but I think it is more my style... ( i am big on underserved care, and I really like the more progressive curriculum ) UCSD is very standard (read: old school) with hours upon hours of lectures, etc... don't get me wrong it certainly is a great school though, and if I go here i will be very happy...

ninja edit because I thought it sounded like i was looking for a reason to cancel USC interview - actually I am excited about it, which is why i was wondering why other people were not

.... not really sure the relevance of pointing out which schools you don't care about going to while others still post about not having interviews ....

I figured it would be helpful for people who WOULD want to interview at the schools where people have just canceled their interviews for. Not that it would get them interviews, but simply knowing may help, just the way the official acceptances/rejections threads do- :cool:

I figured it would be helpful for people who WOULD want to interview at the schools where people have just canceled their interviews for. Not that it would get them interviews, but simply knowing may help, just the way the official acceptances/rejections threads do- :cool:

yeah sorry I understood that after I saw a few more posts... I think you are right it is a good idea - i feel bad because i myself have a few friends with no interviews yet, and I dont like to talk about my acceptances in front of them :( But overall, it could be helpful to people, so carry on :thumbup:

mike

no need to be sorry man

and people, i think it would help if you also wrote the approximate time frame for when you canceled and when the interview was scheduled for :)

GWU (mid-Jan), Meharry (late Jan), Oregon H&S (early Feb)

adding to the list

Georgetown
Creighton

Loyola
Meharry
MSU-CHM
Morehouse
RFU
Wayne State

I cancelled:

UC Davis, UCLA, USC, Emory, NYMC, and UIC. It was a little while back though.

I think USC is a great school. I just realized that the school that I was accepted to was awesome and would go there over most schools. Plus, I really didn't want to do anymore interviews.

Good luck to everyone!

Thanks all for opening up those slots for those of us more unfortunate. You earn compassionate points.

I cancelled an interview at George Washington. I received the invitation on January 17 for a February 9 interview. I was complete at GW in August (and was on hold since early September).

WashU - early feb
Mayo - early feb
Johns Hopkins - mid feb
Cornell - early feb
Mt Sinai - late feb
Feinberg - early feb
UChic - late jan

Cancelled Rush in Chicago...

WashU-jan 31
George Washington-feb 6th

good luck to those who want to go to these schools. (which are great but i know are not for me).

I maybe turning down 2 interviews soon since I've already been accepted in a school I love, and I'm wondering what's the best way to handle this so as not to offend anyone. What did you guys say in your rejection letters to schools? a piece of their own medicine?. Seriously, I don't know how to go about this. Help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll add:

Boston University
Case Western
Jefferson
Mayo
UT-Southwestern (MD/PhD)

+ve, I just called or emailed (they typically require something in writing) and simply asked them to withdraw my application from consideration.

Columbia and Penn.....clearly both high on my list....but can't really compete with staying in California :D

btw most schools ask you to submit either an e-mail or letter (hard copy) of your withdrawal.