"I Cancelled my Interview" Threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen at least four threads this morning where someone advertises the fact that have cancelled an interview and someone else should call the ADCOM secretary to take the slot. Does this work? Has anyone ever done this succesfully? I can't imagine that saying "Excuse me, I read on the Student Doctor Network that an interview slot opened up on Thursday, Dec. 16th at 2pm. Can I have it?" would work very well. Please enlighten me if this little tactic does indeed work.

Members don't see this ad.

SanDiegoSOD said:
I've seen at least four threads this morning where someone advertises the fact that have cancelled an interview and someone else should call the ADCOM secretary to take the slot. Does this work? Has anyone ever done this succesfully? I can't imagine that saying "Excuse me, I read on the Student Doctor Network that an interview slot opened up on Thursday, Dec. 16th at 2pm. Can I have it?" would work very well. Please enlighten me if this little tactic does indeed work.

If you want to change your interview date, I would say yes. For example, Drexel is scheduling into march, if someone cancels an interview in december, then someone who is scheduled for feb. or march might want to interview sooner. I am sure Drexel would love to have someone fill the spot for them.

SanDiegoSOD said:

Why would you say that? You can ask the secretery politely on whether there are any new interview slots open earlier than your scheduled date. I don't see why they would not give you the slot unless it is specified on the contrary.

Members don't see this ad :)
TheElephant said:
Why would you say that? You can ask the secretery politely on whether there are any new interview slots open earlier than your scheduled date. I don't see why they would not give you the slot unless it is specified on the contrary.

I said that because I made the assumption that these ADCOMs have contingency plans for cancelled interviews. I just assumed that they would know what to do, and probably wouldn't appreciate a dozen calls or so asking to fill a particular spot advertised on the internet.

But that's why I started this thread - not to come down on anyone who advertises cancelled interviews, but rather to determine whether or not one can fill an opened spot through that method. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wonders if that works.

SanDiegoSOD said:
I said that because I made the assumption that these ADCOMs have contingency plans for cancelled interviews. I just assumed that they would know what to do, and probably wouldn't appreciate a dozen calls or so asking to fill a particular spot advertised on the internet.

But that's why I started this thread - not to come down on anyone who advertises cancelled interviews, but rather to determine whether or not one can fill an opened spot through that method. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wonders if that works.

I did that for my Tulane interview. I kept calling back every couple of days until the lady there said someone just cancelled and I could take that spot (a month and a half earlier). Seeing as I was already going to interview, why not.