I cheated on my Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quitrandy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear friends !
When I was young ( 2 years ago ) I made I huge mistake. I cheated on my biology. and as result I had "F" and suspended for 1 quoter. Now my GPA 3.4
What should I do ? I need all your advises:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

are you from the us or is english a second language?

Members don't see this ad :)
He sounds like a Business major to me.

trolls_dic_150.gif

???

I would reccomend time travel, for specific instructions watch the movie Napolean Dynamite very carefully.

Whatever he is, he's screwed. Two years ago equals "young," whereas, now he older and more mature?!? Give me a break! No way he gets in, unless it's for some kind of language impediment.

Last night I was in a car chase and ended up in a shootout with the cops. I got away, but I think I hit two of them. What effect (if any) do you guys think this will have on my application?

Last night I was in a car chase and ended up in a shootout with the cops. I got away, but I think I hit two of them. What effect (if any) do you guys think this will have on my application?

None, if you got away and left no trace evidence that would lead them back to you. :D

Were either of them related to someone on the admissions committee?

Dear friends !
When I was young ( 2 years ago ) I made I huge mistake. I cheated on my biology. and as result I had "F" and suspended for 1 quoter. Now my GPA 3.4

change your name, reapply to college and play it straight from there. Then you should be fine. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
alright alright guys, weve had our fun, i dont know what a good period to wait before applying is but i think some people on this forum have mentioned that time heals all, and if you wait awhile before applying you could explain it in a PS or something

haha it looked like spicedmana started to get worried that people were doing this haha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: Yeah, nice catch. That rings true to some extent as well. When you've read your share of stuff on this forum, you can never be too sure about the extent of the foolishness of some people.

On a more serious note, OP, you're likely in for a rough ride. It's not your GPA, or even the F you need to be most concerned about, but the notation that you were academically dishonest. That's kind of like being branded with a scarlet letter; most medical schools will take this very seriously. Retake biology and be as impeccable as you can from now on. Explain that you have learned your lesson. There isn't much else you can do. NervousNed is quite right, time is what will eventually heal the wound.

Dear friends !

Hey at least this kid has the balls to say he did it - not another one of those "hey I've got a friend who..." threads.

OP - sorry buddy, but you're screwed.

its in your history, you cant hide from it, and it will likely hurt your chances significantly. your best bet is to address the situation in your PS. make no excuses, just briefly explain it and more importantly, how you grew and learned from it, i guess.

you can approach from the angle of "i learned a valuable lesson- it showed me how one poor decision could have such significant consequences for much of my future endeveours". something fruity like that.

You can always talk to someone at your school to try to have it removed from your record. Go to the highest person you can find and explain yourself. If not break in and handle your own business. See the fire scene in "Orange County" for diections on this.

Ummm, yeah it was...

Yup, I suspected. I didn't want the OP to make any false assumptions, however, since your sarcasm wasn't entirely over-the-top. ;)

Ummm, yeah it was...

Why are you attempting to argue this point? Sarcasm is difficult to detect sometimes on the Internet, given that the tone doesn't always transfer. I've seen people jump for less here, okay? I just wanted to make sure that the OP didn't take any false measures, given that it's actually possible to change one's name and start over. I've read posts here about people asking for advice on transferring to another school and starting over, thinking it will wipe their slate clean. When you've read stuff like that, you begin to think that not everybody is completely wise to the process.

But, whatever, okay. Maybe it was obvious. So what? :p

Too late man.

You messed up big time, now that is on your record and no amount of money or begging will get it erased.

Find something else and once again, time is the only thing that can fix something like this. Fix yourself and show over YEARS i mean YEARS >3 years that you are an honest person and so on, and MAYBE you will have a chance.

I know a person who stole for his frat and basically got it on his criminal record. Now he cannot get into any grad school even though his family is crazy rich. You can't just buy stuff like this freely, and I doubt you can because you are asking here.

Anyways, you must take responsibility for your actions, so suck it up and accept the consequences. I'm not saying don't try to apply to med shcool. Do so if you wish, I'm just saying this is your fault and you will have to accept the consequences.

In short, OP, you are screwed for med school. If you perform a search, there was quite a few threads from teh beginning of the last app cycle where people confessed their transgresssions re: academic dishonesty. The opinion of all your fellow premeds is that cheating = no admission. Lest someone come in with their apocryphal "my cousin's sister killed a dude and is now a derm" story, LizzyM a bona fide adcom also suplemented your fellow premed's wisdom. I think the statute of limitations on cheating is wayyy longer than 2 years, more like 10 or more, if ever. You could also ask to be coddled by the adcoms on "ask an adcom", but they will also say that cheaters don't get admitted.
Think about it from an adcom's perspective. Of 5K+ applicants for a given school, 4500 of whom are amply qualified, why should they you over a non-cheater? unfortunately, your academic dishonesty will taint every grade you get afterwards, as well as those you achieved prior to your indiscretion. Sorry to be harsh, but I think you've pretty much excluded yourself from medicine...

It's not true that having an academic dishonesty violation is a death sentence. I have one from two years ago and still managed to get into a top 20 school and interview at a top 10 school.

It's not true that having an academic dishonesty violation is a death sentence. I have one from two years ago and still managed to get into a top 20 school and interview at a top 10 school.

Without the specifics it's pretty unreasonable to assume you are the rule and not the one in a million exception though. The consensus of most (including some of the adcom members who have frequented this site) has been that relatively recent academic dishonesty is a deal breaker.

Every now and then a serial killer gets a pardon -- doesn't mean a death sentence generally isn't a death sentence.

you're gonna have to put more than 2 yrs between the incident and when you apply. do something else in the mean time. get a masters or something similar. show that you can handle med school workloads and that you can have a clean record. show maturity.

that's what i did, and i'm hoping to be accepted in about a day.

You shouldn't worried about your GPA. You should be worried about the academic dishonesty that is on your transcript which I am sure it is if you were suspsended because of it. Sorry but I highly doubt you will get into med school. Do business, they like cheaters.

Dear friends !

You cheated, you got caught, you pay the consequences. You don't need to be scared... people are scared when they are uncertain. Your future is quite certain in my opinion.

quitrandy, also keep this in mind- you are asking this question to a group of people who, collectively, have pretty much no experience as adcoms. theyre giving you their opinions without regard to actually knowing what theyre talking about. it may be in your best interest to call a few schools youre interested in and try to speak to the dean of admissions. get their opinion.

Without the specifics it's pretty unreasonable to assume you are the rule and not the one in a million exception though. The consensus of most (including some of the adcom members who have frequented this site) has been that relatively recent academic dishonesty is a deal breaker.

Every now and then a serial killer gets a pardon -- doesn't mean a death sentence generally isn't a death sentence.

My point wasn't to prove that I was the rule. The response on this forum to an academic dishonesty violation is that the person should give up or wait ten years. The vast majority of these responses come from people like yourself with limited insight or experience with this issue. Although my own case may not be the rule I doubt I am so special that I could be conisdered a one in a million exception. Although my situation may be considered anecdotal, so to are the words of the relatively few adcoms that frequent this board when one takes into account the number of medical schools in this country. Adcoms I talked to before I applied told me that academic dishonesty while difficult to overcome was not a death sentence. The only purpose of my post was to give the OP some hope after receiving a number of negative respones. I believe that with some work and some time he can prove himself worthy of admission. While in his case it may take more than two years I disagree that it will take 10.

quitrandy, also keep this in mind- you are asking this question to a group of people who, collectively, have pretty much no experience as adcoms. theyre giving you their opinions without regard to actually knowing what theyre talking about. it may be in your best interest to call a few schools youre interested in and try to speak to the dean of admissions. get their opinion.

maybe true...but I bet we are right...medical schools will not admit cheaters unless there is some extreme circumstance...and even then

OP - you're fine. break 35 on the mcat, get good lor's, and apply broadly. It never hurts to try. If all schools deny you, ask adcoms, not us, what you need to do.

you're gonna have to put more than 2 yrs between the incident and when you apply.
Best advice on the thread. And if you decide to ignore it and apply, please be sure to avoid saying things like "when I was young (two years ago)..." Two years may seem like a long time, but by the time you hit the age most adcoms are at, two years goes by faster than a wink...

You can throw your rock, hide your hand,
Workin in the dark against your fellow man.
But as sure as God made black and white,
What's done in the dark,
Will be brought to the light.

You can run on for a long time,
Run on for a long time,
Run on for a long time,
Sooner, or later, God'll cut you down.
Sooner, or later, God'll cut you down.

Best advice on the thread. And if you decide to ignore it and apply, please be sure to avoid saying things like "when I was young (two years ago)..." Two years may seem like a long time, but by the time you hit the age most adcoms are at, two years goes by faster than a wink...

I agree, dotn listen to the comments other said.

I don't think he is even attending a college in US now.

OP - do a search. There have been other threads on academic integrity issues and several adcoms have actually weighed in.

Dear friends !

You've just made my day. I love hearing these stories. Yes, Im very sorry for you, but I go to a public school and more than 60% of pre-med here cheat and its a relief to here that people actually do get caught. Although Ive never seen you, your a necessary example that schools must make to sustain order in the world. I know ppl who get 28 on their MCAT and have a 4.0 GPA. Others who have 3.2 GPA and 42 MCAT. One in perticular in mind has a 3.9 GPA and a 33 MCAT and got into med school, although Ive seen her cheat (literally seen her cheat) more than 20 times and she got caught once (with an F on her transcript). Go figure, if it were up to me i'd have cameras installed into every classroom and blacklist every cheater into law/med/dental school. So good luck, your gonna need it. :luck:

You've just made my day. I love hearing these stories. Yes, Im very sorry for you, but I go to a public school and more than 60% of pre-med here cheat and its a relief to here that people actually do get caught. Although Ive never seen you, your a necessary example that schools must make to sustain order in the world. I know ppl who get 28 on their MCAT and have a 4.0 GPA. Others who have 3.2 GPA and 42 MCAT. One in perticular in mind has a 3.9 GPA and a 33 MCAT and got into med school, although Ive seen her cheat (literally seen her cheat) more than 20 times and she got caught once (with an F on her transcript). Go figure, if it were up to me i'd have cameras installed into every classroom and blacklist every cheater into law/med/dental school. So good luck, your gonna need it. :luck:
I agree it's a relief that people actually do get caught and suffer some consequences. In my undergrad pre-med classes I witnessed blatant cheating that went completely unpunished. I also TA'd a number of pre-med science classes and personally caught several cheaters in the act ... and nothing happened to them. One professor told me that although he caught more than a few people red-handed over the years, when he tried to pursue disciplinary action through the appropriate administrative channels (as outlined in our university code) he basically got nowhere. Seems all the cheater has to do is threaten to hire a lawyer and the university administration rolls over like a well-trained dog. Seriously, the most serious 'punishment' he was allowed to dole out was an F on the test or assignment in question -- not even an F for the class! And he couldn't get anything noted in their academic record either.

To the OP specifically: your situation does indeed suck and you seem genuinely remorseful. I hope you get your act together and things work out for you. However, I also hope your experience will serve as a cautionary tale to others.

Discussing how academic dishonesty/DUI's/felonies/immigration issues will affect someone's ability to get into a (any) medical school is perhaps interesting for some, but basically a waste of time. Just like nobody can answer the "what are my chances with xyz GPA and zyx MCAT". We're unlikely to get the specific details of the incidents, and without those, it's well-nigh impossible to reflect sensibly.

All that being said, I think it's pretty obvious that you'd really have to shine, if Adcoms should overlook past troubles. Most of the time, it'll be a risk which can be ever so easily avoided by picking somebody else. However, that's not to say that some people can get lucky. After all, somebody apparently once managed to pass a camel through the eye of a needle...

Apply. If you don't get in, you'll know not enough time has passed.

You'll really need to prove you're no longer a "cheater" to get over this one.

lets wait till the OP responds so we get more info.....:sleep:

Thank you every for sharing their opinions. I would like to tell that English is not first language. ( some people interested ). Did I cheat on my Biology ?
Yes. I recive my essay- answer test, which was graded A-. After reviewing it I realized that my explanation was very clear ... and I added 3 words and return for re-grading. They called it cheating !!! I had F and quater of suspension. This quater I worked at Stanford in pain lab. I am not sure if this suspension even on my record, but I am not going to lie in my application.