I did something really stupid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my teachers is going to write me a LOR, but he wants my personal statement (which hasn't been written since I am only a sophomore). So, we have been e-mailing each other, and I told him that maybe we could meet after the summer and he can write me the letter. He said this is fine, and asked me if I would be around this summer. I said that I was planning on doing research at a hospital near my house. That was very dumb of me! I am almost POSITIVE he was going to offer me a position in his lab for the summer (he is an MD/PhD and does lots of research... he has offered before to several students). There is pretty much no way to fix this, right? (Remember, this was all done by e-mail... he hasn't responded yet to my last e-mail.) :(

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, i don't think there's anything that you can do. and who cares? you've already got something lined up. plus, it was very possible that he was just curious as to what your summer plans were. certain professors just like to hear what students are up to.
don't get all bent out of shape over this.

I'm a little unclear about your post. Do you want to work in his lab? If so, be assertive and ask him if you can. Do you want to live close to home and therefore not at school? If so, people understand that too.

Be direct and assertive -- people respect that

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
this is true. if you'd rather work for him than do stuff at home, you can definitely just ask him if he has any positions he's looking to fill. this could work, esp since he's been receptive to so many students in the past.

Don't be such a puss. Ask him to work in his lab and express a lot of interest. Unless he is way too overloaded, he will for sure say yes.

Even if he says "No", it doesn't mean he doesn't like you or wouldn't give you a good rec.

Are you an undergrad? Because what kind of Md/PhD teaches undergrads?

Originally posted by pathstudent

Are you an undergrad? Because what kind of Md/PhD teaches undergrads?

I've had quite a few md/phd's as professors at ucla, mostly upper division courses. Are md/phds not allowed to teach undergrads or something?

Yes, I'm an undergrad... he taught a lower division bio class that I took last quarter. He is a psychiatrist and also has a PhD.

Thanks for the advice... I don't feel bad about it anymore. I've been thinking it over and would much rather do research where I am already planning on doing it because it is near my house. I don't want to make the 2 hour drive every morning this summer when I could just ask if I can do research with this professor fall quarter.