I didn't realize anesthesiologists were surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barbells&Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just went to a skills lab and they divided us into small groups. Before beginning each skills session, when asked what your primary specialty was, if the person teaching the skill was from an anesthesiology background, more times than not if you answered something other than anesthesia, the proctor would say something similar to "Well I guess you didn't get any training in this in residency".
This included a session on suturing after procedures such as SCS or pumps.

Not saying all those from anesthesia were like this but many think anyone other than anesthesia is below them when it comes to dealing with CHRONIC pain management

I didn't realize anesthesiologists did so much suturing during residency...

Members don't see this ad.

I still remember my first day doing hearts. After easily inserting Swan I struggled to suture it in place. My attending sent me home and told me to practice my suturing. I did.

Reactions: 2 users
There’s a bit of arrogance from anesthesia in regards to pain. I heard a PD of a prominent university outloud actually question why non anesthesia are allowed to perform spinal procedures. Just the way it is

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I have had experience as we have to rotate with Ortho intern year during our residency and closed several cases. So just assuming someone doesn’t have experience based on a specialty is annoying

Well, did you do a lot of suturing in your residency? Weird that you took offense to it and ran over here to whine about it.

Reactions: 7 users
Some people can do a general surgery internship.

hard to say what’s someone’s training is by primary speciality.

I would say all pain people that I have trained suck at suturing regardless of primary speciality.

Surgeon **** on anesthesiologist and when they get in pain they turn around and dump on non-anesthesiologist pain docs is the trend I’m seeing. Very similar to the OR nurses in that sense. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Just went to a skills lab and they divided us into small groups. Before beginning each skills session, when asked what your primary specialty was, if the person teaching the skill was from an anesthesiology background, more times than not if you answered something other than anesthesia, the proctor would say something similar to "Well I guess you didn't get any training in this in residency".

Not saying all those from anesthesia were like this but many think anyone other than anesthesia is below them when it comes to dealing with CHRONIC pain management

I did plenty of suturing in residency. Particularly on my surgery rotation intern year

First of all, apparently you got very triggered by this. Secondly, I wasn't there so I am not sure exactly what they were referencing. However, perhaps they were talking more about epidural access? Anesthesiologists do epidural catheters for surgical procedures all through residency and to my knowledge none of the other specialties do a significant amount of epidural access and catheter placement. Just a thought.

I didn't realize anesthesiologists did so much suturing during residenc

Triggered much?
Just because someone says something, doesn't make it right or true.

Reactions: 1 user

Well anesthesiologists and EM docs are primarily the two that suture the most out of the specialties that apply into pain.
I doubt neurologists are suturing in that tPA syringe or that spinal LP needle. Anyone can tie basic interrupted knots though. All jokes aside, I doubt the presenter meant it in a malicious way.

Agree with above.

my anesthesiology residency included taking s**t from surgeons, surgery residents, OBs, PACU nurses, etc etc every day.

I would simply ignore the comment and move on with your life, as mentioned above it’s because anesthesiologists traditionally are the only ones to do neuraxial in medical practice.

lol was this the NANS cadaver course? Who was it?

Attachments

• 89ED9752-B7E9-49B2-A3F2-DF5E0A5C029B.jpeg
    89ED9752-B7E9-49B2-A3F2-DF5E0A5C029B.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 79
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we really arguing about something we assign to 3rd year medical students in the ER?

I didn't do any suturing during PM&R residency, don't know many who did, so he's not wrong IMO

The only thing that I sutured during residency in Anesthesiology were central lines.

Screw anesthesia and their inflated egos. I graduated at the top of my CNA class, spent hundreds of minutes at a weekend course and do the best epidermals around.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Screw anesthesia and their inflated egos. I graduated at the top of my CNA class, spent hundreds of minutes at a weekend course and do the best epidermals around.
And get paid the same with less debt. Heart of a nurse, brain of a doctor.

Reactions: 5 users

Don't worry about any of this and try not to take anything too personal. When in training, just soak up whatever information you can from whoever is willing to teach you. It really is irrelevant in the long run. Don't get insulted. If someone feels better by putting someone else down there's obviously a reason for it. Maybe that person feels threatened or whatever but it's that person's issue and not yours. You'll see once you get out how meaningless it really is. Instead, consider using that energy to making money and then laugh at that person knowing that you don't need to teach weekend courses to supplement your income.

they are trying to focus on the skills that would most benefit you in the long run.

would you want to be put in the group that spends the afternoon talking about Gaensalns, Fortins, Pace test, or empty can/lift off/Neer test etc?

My anesthesiology training included:
-A full year of general surgery internship where I was frequently in the OR second or first assisting. Did toe amps without the attending scrubbing
-Probably 50+ central lines and suturing
-Floating maybe 20 Swans and suturing
-Putting in VasCaths in the ICU (req suturing)
-Pulling VV ECMO cannulas and doing purse string sutures to close the wound
Of course most ppl think in anesthesia you just push 10cc of Propofol and then sit and do sudokus all of residency :rofl:

I'm guessing that's more than PM&R/neurology but I don't know and I don't really care 🤷‍♂️.

-A full year of general surgery internship where I was frequently in the OR second or first assisting. Did toe amps without the attending scrubbing
Of course most ppl think in anesthesia you just push 10cc of Propofol and then sit and do sudokus all of residency :rofl:

I'm guessing that's more than PM&R/neurology but I don't know and I don't really care 🤷‍♂️.

PMR here. I amputated a pedunculated mass off the thigh of a BKA patient on the rehab floor and sutured the wound. This allowed for prosthetic fitment and PT to begin ambulation training. Placed a Shiley femoral line as a med student. Scrubbed in as the resident and did 1st assist in lap appy/chole as a 4th year.

Training is not consistent across locations or specialties.

Threads like these always turn into a p***ing contest

Seriously, unless you have more than an internship in surgery, most of us have limited surgical experience going into learning to do implants regardless of primary specialty. Hundreds of central venous access lines as an anesthesiologist sutured with that stupid straight needle didn't prepare me at all to close a wound. Face it, there are neurologists and psychiatrists trained in pain who do tons of implants and get really good at it. I think we have more fruitful discussions to have but that's just my opinion.

I agree with all that. The point of the comment was not that no one had surgical skills training. It’s that it is annoying that you shouldn’t assume someone’s skills or say you probably won’t be doing these procedures in practice just bc of your primary specialty (bc that is why we are in fellowship to learn them or we wouldn’t need the fellowship). Even within the same specialty training experience is varies from university to university.

We are all on the same team to improve function for the patients

Don’t worry.. soon NPs will be doing surgery so the pissing match will be unnecessary. Any procedurally based physician is capable of being trained to do minor surgery.

Can you guys just stop calling urself anesthesiologist and just stick with interventional pain physician. I’m assuming most of u only practice pain. Are interventional pain physicians surgeons ? No. Do they perform some surgeries ? Yes.

Somewhat on topic: Do any of you have a recommended book/resource for surgical complications and management? Fellowship, partners, and hanging out with surgeons helps, but it'd be nice to have a resource for detection of, and management of, non-healing incisions, infections, etc.

Can you guys just stop calling urself anesthesiologist and just stick with interventional pain physician. I’m assuming most of u only practice pain. Are interventional pain physicians surgeons ? No. Do they perform some surgeries ? Yes.
er...

as a board certified anesthesiologist who recently recertified, takes MOCA questions every gosh darn quarter, and does ACE and SEE for CME, i am still an (nonpracticing) anesthesiologist. the ABA and ASAHQ.org do not seem to have any issues at all making demands and taking my money. i pay to maintain my anesthesiology certification in order to keep my pain medicine certification.

er...

as a board certified anesthesiologist who recently recertified, takes MOCA questions every gosh darn quarter, and does ACE and SEE for CME, i am still an (nonpracticing) anesthesiologist. the ABA and ASAHQ.org do not seem to have any issues at all making demands and taking my money. i pay to maintain my anesthesiology certification in order to keep my pain medicine certification.

But why?

My boss anes/pain has not recert but maintains his pain boards. My assumption is your board now requires ur to maintain ur primary specialty to maintain your subspecialty? That sucks

But why?

My boss anes/pain has not recert but maintains his pain boards. My assumption is your board now requires ur to maintain ur primary specialty to maintain your subspecialty? That sucks
I hope I’m not mistaken but I was under the impression the MOCA we do now is for anesthesia/pain so it maintains both at the same time…

the MOCA does do both. but its not like i can target specifically the pain med recert without the anesthesiology recert.

it does mean i do a lot of anesthesia questions on my MOCA. the ones i hate the most are the ones regarding the machine...

the MOCA does do both. but its not like i can target specifically the pain med recert without the anesthesiology recert.

it does mean i do a lot of anesthesia questions on my MOCA. the ones i hate the most are the ones regarding the machine...
Do you do the internal dance of rage every time you get one of those wrong. I hate that red box