I don't feel ready to begin medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Plus as an added benefit, we're going to DO schools. All the schools I've interviewed at really stress the importance of taking care of us as whole students, so they do take into account trying to make sure we're mentally and physically healthy as we learn medicine!

(I really hope it's true and not just a slogan)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have taken a gap year between undergrad and med school and I will start in July. That being said, I don't feel ready to start. I was always an average student as a chemistry major and after talking to current medical students, I am feeling intimated by the amount of work and dedication it will take to pass my classes and make it through rotations and residency. I am not afraid of the hard work but I am fearful that I will never find a decent way to study and not perform well. Does anyone have any tips or advice on this matter?
Honestly, the hard work will come naturally because it would seem imperative in order to not fail classes. The stress is not bad as long as you get used to the daily grind of day in day out studying, then it's really just autopilot. One of the best decisions I made in med school was getting to know several close friends who are easy to talk to, and great for stress relief. They are also good students and keep me on top of the game.

Plus as an added benefit, we're going to DO schools. All the schools I've interviewed at really stress the importance of taking care of us as whole students, so they do take into account trying to make sure we're mentally and physically healthy as we learn medicine!
(I really hope it's true and not just a slogan)

You're mistaken... DO schools will take away on average 5-12 hrs/wk of your time that could be put to better usage.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're mistaken... DO schools will take away on average 5-12 hrs/wk of your time that could be put to better usage.

That is a bit of an overexaggeration. For most schools, it will be 3-4 hours per week at most. Maybe 5 hours during finals weeks.

That is a bit of an overexaggeration. For most schools, it will be 3-4 hours per week at most. Maybe 5 hours during finals weeks.

I'm sorry but are you in medical school right now to talk back to me?

I'm sorry but are you in medical school right now to talk back to me?

I don't have to be in order to talk back to you.

If you are complaining about OMM on SDN then clearly you have enough time to study OMM.

I don't have to be in order to talk back to you.

If you are complaining about OMM on SDN then clearly you have enough time to study OMM.

I can see that CARS is your weak point...

FYI: I ace OMM with minimal effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
An arrogant doctor won't get you those high ratings on health grade :)

Reactions: 1 users
I can see that CARS is your weak point...

FYI: I ace OMM with minimal effort.

I never took CARS because I took the old MCAT so moot point.

FYI: Good job showing your insecurities. Keep it up because you seem to have the urge to put down others in order to make yourself feel better.

Reactions: 1 user
I never took CARS because I took the old MCAT so moot point.

FYI: Good job showing your insecurities. Keep it up because you seem to have the urge to put down others in order to make yourself feel better.

What insecurity? You're talking out of your anus for things that you have zero credibility about considering your current student status. Verbal isn't definitely your strong point for sure. Fake Source!!

What insecurity? You're talking out of your anus for things that you have zero credibility about considering your current student status. Verbal isn't definitely your strong point for sure. Fake Source!!

Say whatever makes you sleep better at night. I don't measure my self-worth through examinations like you seem to do.

For someone who complains so much about OMM, you sure have a lot of time to post on SDN. You are well on your way to becoming a self-hating DO. Keep it up!

Say whatever makes you sleep better at night. I don't measure my self-worth through examinations like you seem to do.

For someone who complains so much about OMM, you sure have a lot of time to post on SDN. You are well on your way to becoming a self-hating DO. Keep it up!

We got an Internet Warrior here. Funny that you don't care about exams considering that you will be measured against your peers through exams.

We got an Internet Warrior here. Funny that you don't care about exams considering that you will be measured against your peers through exams.

Read what I wrote again because I never said that I don't care about exams.

There's a difference between not deriving self-worth from exams and not caring about exams. I don't need exams to make me feel better about my blessed life.

Funny that you don't deny any of what I said about your personality. This leads me to believe that I am correct about my assessment.

donald-trump-eating_ice_cream.jpg

when OMS comes up on SDN

Reactions: 6 users
Gold Donor will do the trick... hence my current status :p

That 250$ could've been used on so many things man.

Lol you have to pay to delete posts.

I have taken a gap year between undergrad and med school and I will start in July. That being said, I don't feel ready to start. I was always an average student as a chemistry major and after talking to current medical students, I am feeling intimated by the amount of work and dedication it will take to pass my classes and make it through rotations and residency. I am not afraid of the hard work but I am fearful that I will never find a decent way to study and not perform well. Does anyone have any tips or advice on this matter?
I'm also nervous about med school, but for mostly different reasons. I have depression which makes the stress and pressure of med school that much more intimidating. I'm also a big family person, and I'm sad that I won't be spending as much time with them. But I'm saying this for the both of us, it's normal to be nervous. I have also taken some time off since graduating undergrad...it will definitely be hard to get back into the grind.

Let me tell you this, though. I believe if you're smart enough to get into medical school, you're smart enough to do well in medical school. Don't psyche yourself out begore you even give yourself a fair chance to succeed. Believe you can and you will. Wishing you the best of luck :)

Last edited: