I don't know if I'm ready

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted804295

My application cycle will be in 2019 and honestly I feel overwhelmed.

I've been checking the boxes along the way of college but every time I look at average GPAs I don't feel good enough. I haven't done the MCAT yet but knowing how terrible I am with standardized exams I'm absolutely frightened to be taking it during the winter.

Anyone else feeling this way? At what moment should I realize if I should take a gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't feel ready to apply during my junior year. I decided to take a gap year. During my senior year, there were some pangs of regret early on when all of my premed friends were going on interviews, but that passed and I was thankful I decided not to apply. When I started my gap year, I felt even more reassured. Now that I'm preparing to apply this upcoming cycle, I feel 100% ready to apply (excited even) and have had plenty of time to put everything together for the summer. My gap year also helped me cement my career decisions.

It's important to do well on the MCAT. Don't rush to take it, especially if you know that standardized exams aren't your thing. Give yourself plenty of time to study and practice. You should think about whether or not your anxiety about applying is mostly due to the MCAT or not. I wouldn't take a gap year just because I'm nervous about the mcat (I would take one, alternatively, if it allowed me to properly study for the exam when I otherwise couldn't), but I would take one if I didn't feel ready or sure about medical school, like I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I've been checking the boxes along the way of college but every time I look at average GPAs I don't feel good enough. I haven't done the MCAT yet but knowing how terrible I am with standardized exams I'm absolutely frightened to be taking it during the winter.

Anyone else feeling this way? At what moment should I realize if I should take a gap year?
It’s definitely overwhelming applying and taking the mcat while in school, but with the right perserverence and motivation it’s very doable. Certainly not for everyone though.
Generally when you have to ask whether or not you should to take a gap year, you most likely need to take one

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

My application cycle starts in less than 3 months and I've just accepted the unpredictability of the process.

There's nothing overtly wrong with my app, but I have strengths and weaknesses in my application just like everyone else. I may not get into one of my favorite choices, or I may not get in at all. It is what it is, and I'll just hope for the best.

A little anxiety is normal, especially over the MCAT and applying, but I'd encourage you to accept the process and made a good faith attempt to do the best you can. Hope that helps.

Consider taking a gap year after appraising your app. Do what's best for your app and more importantly what's best for you

Hey!

My application cycle starts in less than 3 months and I've just accepted the unpredictability of the process.

There's nothing overtly wrong with my app, but I have strengths and weaknesses in my application just like everyone else. I may not get into one of my favorite choices, or I may not get in at all. It is what it is, and I'll just hope for the best.

A little anxiety is normal, especially over the MCAT and applying, but I'd encourage you to accept the process and made a good faith attempt to do the best you can. Hope that helps.

Consider taking a gap year after appraising your app. Do what's best for your app and more importantly what's best for you
I wish you luck on this application cycle. Seeing all the posts from 2017 applicants has really scared me about this entire process but I hope it has prepared me for what is to come.

I wish you luck on this application cycle. Seeing all the posts from 2017 applicants has really scared me about this entire process but I hope it has prepared me for what is to come.
Thank you!

It can be intimidating, though I like to think SDN will make it seem worse than it needs to be. You don't hear about the 3.4 501 applicant that doesn't get in that much, but you'll assuredly hear about the 3.8 519 who doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I took a gap year and failed to get in the first time, then applied again with the same stats nothing really changed but got in this time. So you never know. It will have been three years by time I start school this summer and honestly it’s an experience I’m glad I had and I feel I did a bit of growing up. Gap year or not, just take the mcat when you’re ready and apply when you feel you can put together your best application.

Sunbodi! What up! Hahaha.

We were all in your seat once. Its nerve-wracking to constantly think you aren't good enough. Don't worry about the application yet. Focus on GPA and MCAT(this one especially). If you knock the MCAT out of the park, you'll be in the pilot's seat. Some tips:

1. Study hard and effectively.
2. BE HONEST with yourself (if you don't know something, don't skip it... figure it out and ASK FOR HELP!) I had issues asking for help and it made me suffer in MCAT. Once I was honest with myself and asked for help. I crushed it.
3. Know that this is a challenge. They want to see that you can handle difficult and stressful situations.
4. Take A LOT of practice exams. I took 15 prior my most recent MCAT. It sucks, but do it. It'll pay off.

You got this! Good luck! =]

Every applicant is different - not one school that I interviewed at this cycle said they are looking for "perfect" candidates with a 4.0 and a 520 MCAT. With that said, the MCAT is still an important factor in your application. One of the biggest things that helped me in studying and taking the test a second time was changing my perspective. The first time I took it I saw it as this big burden that was keeping me out of med school. The second time I took it (June 2017), I decided to think of it in a positive light. Instead of it keeping me out of med school, it will help me get in to med school. I treated it like a "friend" and chose not to be scared of it (sounds silly, but this honestly helped so much). I agree with the comment above - be honest with yourself, devote plenty of time to it, and take TONS OF PRACTICE TESTS. The MCAT tests your problem solving just as much (if not more) than what you know. The only way you'll succeed is if you practice under real testing conditions.

Two pieces of advice:
1. A lot of the MCAT is hard work. Most people I've seen who don't score competitively, do so because they did not prep sufficiently.
2. Don't apply until you are happy with your application. I applied this cycle, and while I did get in, I would have been a much better applicant had I waited until this July. Apply when your ready, be that 2019, 2020, etc., and know that you're giving it your very best shot.