I exaggerated my EC's on AMCAS and I got called on it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

METTA WORLD PEACE

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously!?!? It's not like I lied or falsified anything...just added some hours here and there. Now, one school I applied to is asking for written documentation regarding a particular EC I listed. How did they find out? or is this standard? I didn't even provide contact info; just the name of the place. Obviously I can't provide the documentation so I'm planning on withdrawing my application? This won't affect the other schools I applied to right? Anyone in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously!?!? It's not like I lied or falsified anything...just added some hours here and there. Now, one school I applied to is asking for written documentation regarding a particular EC I listed. How did they find out? or is this standard? I didn't even provide contact info; just the name of the place. Obviously I can't provide the documentation so I'm planning on withdrawing my application? This won't affect the other schools I applied to right? Anyone in a similar situation?
The fact that you can't provide any documentation suggests to me that you made up a fake EC as opposed to "added some hours here and there."

No, not many people make up unverifiable fake activities.

Reactions: 17 users
What? Did you do 40 hours of volunteering and write down 400?

If that's the case, karma.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What was the activity? Did you travel abroad, promoting world peace, Metta?

LMAO. I like how your name is "Metta World Peace" yet your avatar pic is Malice in the Palace.

Reactions: 3 users
One potential thought I have no idea if is true and was wondering about; would schools only ask for documentation in this situation for an applicant they were seriously interested in interviewing? Would a school really go through all this and take time to write a letter asking for this proof and digging through the proof if they were very likely to just reject the application anyway regardless of what kind of proof comes up?

To the OP yes, withdrawing is probably in your best interest.

Would you be able to tell us the EC, the number of hours you actually worked, and the number of hours you wrote down on AMCAS? Ballpark numbers are fine.

Even if this is a troll or lie or something, does anyone know what kind of documentation would be sufficient for a random check, or even targeted check? For some of mine I would only have the word of my verifier, would a signed statement from them work?

Would you be able to tell us the EC, the number of hours you actually worked, and the number of hours you wrote down on AMCAS? Ballpark numbers are fine.

Fine. It was volunteering at the ER of a community hospital. I volunteered for almost 6 months, once a week for 4 hours. I put down 250 hours on the application when it was probably more like 100. I exaggerated on a couple of other things but that was the only thing that caught somebody's attention.

Why exactly would 250 hours of volunteering at an ER look suspicious? I don't understand that. I see a lot of mdapplicant profiles stating several hundred hours of volunteering and other lame ass ****.

Yeah I know I shouldn't have but I assumed that all premeds exaggerate to some degree.

Fine. It was volunteering at the ER of a community hospital. I volunteered for almost 6 months, once a week for 4 hours. I put down 250 hours on the application when it was probably more like 100. I exaggerated on a couple of other things but that was the only thing that caught somebody's attention.

Why exactly would 250 hours of volunteering at an ER look suspicious? I don't understand that. I see a lot of mdapplicant profiles stating several hundred hours of volunteering and other lame ass ****.

Yeah I know I shouldn't have but I assumed that all premeds exaggerate to some degree.
250 over 6 months is a lot for a volunteer gig without research. >40hrs a month.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

That's why they looked into it.

Reactions: 14 users

You'd have to be doing 10 hours a week to get 250 hours in 6 months.

I would guess its because you didn't provide contact info.

If you volunteered 100 hours, 250 is only like 2.5x that. Honestly the person in charge might even believe you if you said you volunteered 250 and asked for him to verify it. Its not like you clocked in and out, right?

You'd have to be doing 10 hours a week to get 250 hours in 6 months.

So like 4 hours twice a week? Maybe 5. Thats not an absurd amount.

By any chance, did you get a LOR from the director of volunteers? If you did, I can almost guarantee that the letter says that you volunteered x hours. One thing those offices are good at is quantifying volunteer service hours.

Even without a letter, an experienced reviewer might find your experience to be suspicious. I would say that 250 hours over 25 weeks is a rather heavy volunteering schedule (2.5 shifts of 4 hours each per week) and so it might raise an eyebrow and lead to a question by a reviewer that could lead to someone deciding to ask for verification.

Withdraw. Better luck next year.

Reactions: 10 users

If you volunteered 100 hours, 250 is only like 2.5x that. Honestly the person in charge might even believe you if you said you volunteered 250 and asked for him to verify it. Its not like you clocked in and out, right?

Didn't clock in/out. But the schedule had me on for one afternoon per week. Unless the person in charge sucked at math or just didn't care, I don't think it would be verified.

By any chance, did you get a LOR from the director of volunteers? If you did, I can almost guarantee that the letter says that you volunteered x hours. One thing those offices are good at is quantifying volunteer service hours.

Even without a letter, an experienced reviewer might find your experience to be suspicious. I would say that 250 hours over 25 weeks is a rather heavy volunteering schedule (2.5 shifts of 4 hours each per week) and so it might raise an eyebrow and lead to a question by a reviewer that could lead to someone deciding to ask for verification.

Withdraw. Better luck next year.

No letter. Maybe withdrawing would be a red flag? Perhaps it'd be better to just ignore it and let them eventually reject me??

No, not at all, but surely he must have written something to make them question it (i.e. writing that he was there once a week).

No letter. Maybe withdrawing would be a red flag? Perhaps it'd be better to just ignore it and let them eventually reject me??

Might they report this to AMCAS? I don't know. Fact is, you attested to the veracity of everything on the application and you admit that what you listed was a falsehood. That is unacceptable. If they reject you for falsifying your application, they might be obligated to report this to AMCAS. If you withdraw, they might not have the standing to report to AMCAS as you are no longer an applicant to their school. I really don't know how this works at that level between the Dean of Admissions and AMCAS .

Reactions: 15 users
Didn't clock in/out. But the schedule had me on for one afternoon per week. Unless the person in charge sucked at math or just didn't care, I don't think it would be verified.

Okay, I guess you're right. I volunteered at a lot of places where you would seriously have to do some arm wringing to find anyone who would care enough to keep track of hours volunteered. Ironically, I was actually very conservative with me estimates because I'm paranoid.

Reactions: 4 users
Okay, I guess you're right. I volunteered at a lot of places where you would seriously have to do some arm wringing to find anyone who would care enough to keep track of hours volunteered. Ironically, I was actually very conservative with me estimates because I'm paranoid.
Hospitals are usually pretty good about sign in & out sheets because they publicize the service hours of their volunteers to their donors, honor those with 100, 500, 1000 hours of service, and I'd bet they have legal reasons to keep track of who was on the premises from one hour to the next and where they were assigned.

Yeah it's not like you lied or falsified anything when you purposefully lied and falsified your hours

Reactions: 49 users
Might they report this to AMCAS? I don't know. Fact is, you attested to the veracity of everything on the application and you admit that what you listed was a falsehood. That is unacceptable. If they reject you for falsifying your application, they might be obligated to report this to AMCAS. If you withdraw, they might not have the standing to report to AMCAS as you are no longer an applicant to their school. I really don't know how this works at that level between the Dean of Admissions and AMCAS .

**** me! I guess I'll withdraw then, the sooner the better.

How did you get around the requirement of filling in the Contact Information spaces?

Provided nothing specific... just stuff anyone could find by google searching the place. Didn't provide director's name or #.

How did you get around the requirement of filling in the Contact Information spaces?

Provided nothing specific... just stuff anyone could find by google searching the place. Didn't provide director's name or #.

But aren't the name and # required fields. Meaning if you didn't fill it out the app wouldn't even be able to be submitted. If I remember correctly doesn't the contact information fields have a little * next to them indicating required field and the app won't be able to be processed without it.

The wise @gyngyn has reported the egregious infractions do prompt Admissions dean to contact AMCAS.

It is possible OP, that your medical career is over. Let us know how things turn out.

And next time, be honest. Dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students, and no, not everybody does it. My clinical colleagues, for one, take professionalism very seriously.

With the rise of ECs becoming a determinant in Admissions, people should not be surprised if schools place more emphasis on verifiable activities.

Reactions: 11 users
But aren't the name and # required fields. Meaning if you didn't fill it out the app wouldn't even be able to be submitted. If I remember correctly doesn't the contact information fields have a little * next to them indicating required field and the app won't be able to be processed without it.
I had an application that listed someone's name, email and phone who was tangentially affiliated with the organization (e.g. former board member who was also a friend of the applicant). The applicant might have gotten away with it except that the same person was listed for two activities in two different states. I asked for details about the activities at interview and the facts became very obvious.

Reactions: 6 users
Hospitals are usually pretty good about sign in & out sheets because they publicize the service hours of their volunteers to their donors, honor those with 100, 500, 1000 hours of service, and I'd bet they have legal reasons to keep track of who was on the premises from one hour to the next and where they were assigned.

Aw. I wish my hospital honored those with 100 or even 200 hours :(. We don't get anything until we hit 300. In fact, if we don't, technically we "haven't completed the program"...but apparently plenty of people just go in and get their 100 hours and leave.

Funny, I've heard that most hospitals are really good at keeping record of hours, but the one I volunteered at told me to come in and leave whenever I wanted and didn't have any kind of sign in or sign out procedure. If they were ever asked to verify my hours, they'd probably have know way to do that, and this kind of scares me. At least all of the nurses know me and would be able to say that I was there very often, even if they couldn't put a number on it.

My large university hospital uses a computer to log in and log out when we volunteer. It is saved, and accessible for me online at any time. It is also important for them because of liability insurance; if there is no record of me volunteering, then there can be big issues if I did something to someone or something were to happen to me

If we have reason to believe that an applicant has falsified information we are obligated to report it to AMCAS.
Naomi Mackie's office decides if the discrepancy requires an investigation. The applicant will be notified and given the opportunity to respond.

Reactions: 9 users
I thought you have to put down contact info for all of your xc's on amcas

I thought you have to put down contact info for all of your xc's on amcas
You do but you can list your maternal grandmother and no one may be the wiser unless someone reviewing the application thinks it looks sketchy or decides to reach out for verification of the activity and Granny blows your cover.

OP could it have been that you increased your hours not only in the ER but other areas to such a degree that it seemed impossible for you to have really done them in the time frame you listed? I mean 150 hours here - a 150 there etc...

Seriously!?!? It's not like I lied or falsified anything...just added some hours here and there.

Sorry, man, but knowingly entering the wrong number of hours is lying and falsification of personal information.

I had an application that listed someone's name, email and phone who was tangentially affiliated with the organization (e.g. former board member who was also a friend of the applicant). The applicant might have gotten away with it except that the same person was listed for two activities in two different states. I asked for details about the activities at interview and the facts became very obvious.
Wait lol what's wrong with this?
I was in a student-run organization and I put down the club president for my contact info. The same organization went on an all-student service trip out of state so I put him as the contact info again. We were in the same club for 3 years so I would consider him a friend as well. However, I was a dues-paying member of our club and our service trip is verifiable via the site we volunteered at. Why is this shady?

I was in a student-run organization and I put down the club president for my contact info. The same organization went on an all-student service trip out of state so I put him as the contact info again. We were in the same club for 3 years so I would consider him a friend as well. However, I was a dues-paying member of our club and our service trip is verifiable via the site we volunteered at. Why is this shady?

Just because it's possible doesn't keep it from being shady. And the whole point is that the person didn't have a good explanation for it

Just because it's possible doesn't keep it from being shady. And the whole point is that the person didn't have a good explanation for it
I'm missing why it raised eyebrows in the first place. Is it because the activities were occurring simultaneously in two different states rather than something like a one-time service trip?

I'm applying next cycle (just took MCAT today) and this brings up a question I've been wondering. What if you really don't know how many hours you spent at an EC? I'm a bit older, non-trad, so there are some activities I've been involved in for years that didn't have any check in/out.

One in particular is a volunteer org I've been part of since 2009, held leadership positions, some simultaneously, and a big variety of different activities, and I wouldn't even know where to begin in estimating hours.

I will definitely be asking for a LOR but I don't think the person who would write it would really know either.

I'm missing why it raised eyebrows in the first place. Is it because the activities were occurring simultaneously in two different states rather than something like a one-time service trip?

No, it's that your reference is the same for two separate activities in two separate states unless they're somehow in more than one place at a time. It's possible but it would cause me to pause

This thread needs to be stickied.

Reactions: 1 users

School activities are one thing. When it is a organized program sponsored by a big institution, you'd expect a contact who is "on the payroll" of the hospital or NGO, not just a friend.

Someone who has no problem doing this type of thing is the same type of future resident who, when asked, tells their attending they listened to the pt's lungs that AM and all was ok when they really didn't do it...and next thing you know, said pt ends up in the ICU with PNA that could have been caught sooner.

This is why it's such a big deal to adcoms...and AAMC for that matter.

Reactions: 25 users
I'm applying next cycle (just took MCAT today) and this brings up a question I've been wondering. What if you really don't know how many hours you spent at an EC? I'm a bit older, non-trad, so there are some activities I've been involved in for years that didn't have any check in/out.

One in particular is a volunteer org I've been part of since 2009, held leadership positions, some simultaneously, and a big variety of different activities, and I wouldn't even know where to begin in estimating hours.

I will definitely be asking for a LOR but I don't think the person who would write it would really know either.

I'm a non-trad as well, and I'll have the same problem. My plan is to estimate as well as I can, and then get in touch with my contact at the organization to make sure we're on the same page. Maybe just a short email saying "I will be required to list the number of hours that I volunteered for X organization on my med school application. I estimate that I worked 300 hours. Does that sound right to you? If so, could you confirm via email and use this figure in any reference letters?" The response that email could presumably be used as support if anyone questioned anything.

Seems to me that a good faith estimate with confirmation from the organization should be sufficient. There's a big difference between a) outright lying about your hours (like the OP), and b) simply not having accurate records of activities that you participated in long before you were considering applying for med school, but doing the best you can to get the number right.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm late to this thread but I volunteered on and off at the hospital doing 4 hour shifts for 4 years, and my final hour count came to 250.
My hours are obviously on the low end, but you could see how yours would raise eyebrows.

Seems to me that a good faith estimate with confirmation from the organization should be sufficient. There's a big difference between a) outright lying about your hours (like the OP), and b) simply not having accurate records of activities that you participated in long before you were considering applying for med school, but doing the best you can to get the number right.

As a non-trad this is pretty much what I did.

My mother/grandmother helped me estimate some of my hours for one of them. I had a theater career that literally started when I was young and lasted 30 years so my earlier memories of my hours were a little spotty. My family kept evidence of a lot of the early years though.

My husband helped me guestimate how many hours I spent when I was building my business since I would easily get lost in my work that I would forget to eat.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, do you really think you didn't do anything wrong?

Reactions: 8 users