I feel depressed about my BCP GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBeans

MrBeans
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and encouragement :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I calculated that I have ~ 3.2 BCP GPA.

I'm a bio major that graduated in 2008 with a cGPA that is relatively competitive (3.5).

I have a good chunk of ECs and I hope to really smash the DAT out of the park.

I feel that everything will be ready to submit summer 2010, but my sGPA is really getting me down.

With a 3.2 BCP GPA is it not even worth applying to dental school yet?

Is it like automatic rejection?

I'm depressed...:(

DEFINITELY not an automatic rejection! If you have a good all around app, you will get more interviews than you can ask for! Numbers only take you so far!

Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words.:)

It's just that I read everyone getting interviews on this site have cGPA of ~ 3.6 and BCP GPAs of 3.7-3.8

I just get bummed out I guess...
:(

Members don't see this ad :)

It's just that I read everyone getting interviews on this site have cGPA of ~ 3.6 and BCP GPAs of 3.7-3.8

Well your standardizing a couple pages that you saw with good stats, to the the norm. I personally know many people with sub 3.0 sGPA and jus a little over 3.0 sGPA's who all got accepted. They worked really hard on improving there overall app. I personally believe that EC's, LOR's, and your PS mean the most.

A person with a 3.5sGPA and a not so great PS might get nothing or very little. But if someone has a lets say 3.2-3.3 sGPA with an interesting PS, they will most likely be called for an interview from many schools because the will be interested in meeting you.

Also what is you DAT looking like?

don't sweat your GPA. if you are a well-rounded applicant (good DAT / extra-cirrics / personal statement / dental experience / research experience), that's all that matters :)

and don't sweat the scores you see on SDN. they are definitely the upper echelons of applicants, not a representative cross-section by any means.

Although i must say alot of schools have strict cutoffs for sGPA, but that is usually at 3.0 so your good...

Well your standardizing a couple pages that you saw with good stats, to the the norm. I personally know many people with sub 3.0 sGPA and jus a little over 3.0 sGPA's who all got accepted. They worked really hard on improving there overall app. I personally believe that EC's, LOR's, and your PS mean the most.

A person with a 3.5sGPA and a not so great PS might get nothing or very little. But if someone has a lets say 3.2-3.3 sGPA with an interesting PS, they will most likely be called for an interview from many schools because the will be interested in meeting you.

Also what is you DAT looking like?

nevermind, skimmed past the part where you stated you hadnt taken it yet!

Well i can tell you one thing, if you get at least 20+ on all science sections it will def help the cause!

I calculated that I have ~ 3.2 BCP GPA.

I'm a bio major that graduated in 2008 with a cGPA that is relatively competitive (3.5).

I have a good chunk of ECs and I hope to really smash the DAT out of the park.

I feel that everything will be ready to submit summer 2010, but my sGPA is really getting me down.

With a 3.2 BCP GPA is it not even worth applying to dental school yet?

Words of wisdom?

Is it like automatic rejection?

I'm depressed...:(

Hey my BCP is a 2.96 and I still had 5 interviews (including last year's). Don't let it stop you or even feeling down about it!! The glass is always half full:laugh:

Mr. Beans, 4 threads in two days. Pump the breaks my friend. Your freaking out. Your GPA is fine

3.2 BCP is not bad at all. do well on DAT and you're be just fine especially if you have some other ECs and good shadowing. I have a 3.45 cGPA with a 3.2 sGPA (includes math courses) and a 3.08 BCP (no math). I applied to 8 schools and have 7 pre-Dec interviews. 20AA 20TS 15PAT. Don't let numbers scare you. I never thought I was slightly under the average or treated myself like I was, because I know that I have other things in my app. Numbers aren't everything....

3.2 BCP is not bad at all. do well on DAT and you're be just fine especially if you have some other ECs and good shadowing. I have a 3.45 cGPA with a 3.2 sGPA (includes math courses) and a 3.08 BCP (no math). I applied to 8 schools and have 7 pre-Dec interviews. 20AA 20TS 15PAT. Don't let numbers scare you. I never thought I was slightly under the average or treated myself like I was, because I know that I have other things in my app. Numbers aren't everything....

Considering you are an extremely underrepresented minority, who went to a great school and did well on the DAT; in the eyes of the admissions, you are a gem my friend

Well, just to let you know that I have a 3.2 BCP also and so far I have had 7 interviews. My overall was a 3.6 GPA. I believe I had a strong personal statement. So don't lose hope. As people have probably told you, I've seen people w/ 4.0s and 20+ on their DATs not get any interviews at all. So, don't just think that schools look at just your BCP. They look at everything and take into account all that you have done. It takes more to be a dentist than having a nice science GPA and they know that.

Well, just to let you know that I have a 3.2 BCP also and so far I have had 7 interviews. My overall was a 3.6 GPA. I believe I had a strong personal statement. So don't lose hope. As people have probably told you, I've seen people w/ 4.0s and 20+ on their DATs not get any interviews at all. So, don't just think that schools look at just your BCP. They look at everything and take into account all that you have done. It takes more to be a dentist than having a nice science GPA and they know that.
3.2 sGPA is not bad at all and looks perfectly fine if TS is 20+. But regardless of DAT, 3.6 overall and 3.2 sGPA is fine. That's close to a B+ average (for the science)

Thanks man, that makes me feel a lot better.

I just seem to get so bent out of shape trying to make everything as perfect as possible because I really want to get into dental school!

I really better start hitting the books to get my DAT scores high!! :eek:

Considering you are an extremely underrepresented minority, who went to a great school and did well on the DAT; in the eyes of the admissions, you are a gem my friend

i hate posting on this forum about race/ethnicity about minority status. people seem to eat you alive b/c they are either not privy to how admission's people look at URMs or they are just jealous that they aren't and think it shouldn't matter. but thank you, i like thinking it's an advantage.

Wow MrBeans. I have very similar stats to yours sGPA ~ 3.2 and cGPA ~ 3.4. I was very nervous about my GPA as well after I graduated from college. So I went ahead and did an unofficial post-bacc program. I've been taking upper division science courses at a current state college (Cal State since I'm from CA) for about a year. The encouragement from others in this post makes me feel alot better. Even though it's not directed at me but b/c we have similar stats, it's nice to hear encouring words.

Does anyone know if a year's worth of post bacc class enough to prove to admins that I can handle dental school courses? OR should I continue to take classes? Thanks for advice.

P.S. To MrBeans, don't lose hope, there's lots of people like us out there. If you don't think it's too much trouble, let me know how it works out for you. Are you planning to apply next cycle? How many EC hours did you do? You can PM me if you like.

Wow MrBeans. I have very similar stats to yours sGPA ~ 3.2 and cGPA ~ 3.4. I was very nervous about my GPA as well after I graduated from college. So I went ahead and did an unofficial post-bacc program. I've been taking upper division science courses at a current state college (Cal State since I'm from CA) for about a year. The encouragement from others in this post makes me feel alot better. Even though it's not directed at me but b/c we have similar stats, it's nice to hear encouring words.

Does anyone know if a year's worth of post bacc class enough to prove to admins that I can handle dental school courses? OR should I continue to take classes? Thanks for advice.

P.S. To MrBeans, don't lose hope, there's lots of people like us out there. If you don't think it's too much trouble, let me know how it works out for you. Are you planning to apply next cycle? How many EC hours did you do? You can PM me if you like.

Hey vberries, I am planning on applying next cylce.

I feel like I have a good amount of ECs under my belt, so I hope this softens the blow of my sGPA. I am positive I can do well in my science classes, its just a few science classes here and there that blew my science GPA, it really bugs me!

A year's worth of post-bac work is great, provided you received all excellent marks! I wouldn't think you'd have to do additional course work beyond a year.

Don't lose hope dude!

i hate posting on this forum about race/ethnicity about minority status. people seem to eat you alive b/c they are either not privy to how admission's people look at URMs or they are just jealous that they aren't and think it shouldn't matter. but thank you, i like thinking it's an advantage.

Ummm...it is EVERYTHING. You can get in w/ sub-par stats while others can't. Don't act like it doesn't help your application...