i feel like crying!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jolu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really do feel like crying. The bulk of my applications were complete around early november (I'm an august mcat'er), but I have not heard from 25 out 27 schools applied to. The two schools that I did hear back are rejections, then no word from all the others. I'm really starting to worry because so many ppl are getting interviews and acceptance (congrats to y'all), and then i've been reading threads that say long wait=rejection, or spring interviews are mainly for waitlist spots....arrrrr......i'm SO STRESSED OUT. Its starting to occur to me that maybe i'm not getting in this year....i'd hate to go through the whole process again next year.

I'm sorry but i really need to get it out of my system.

thanks for listening!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Jolu,

as a fellow Canadian, I can corroborate that the waiting sucks. If you application was completed in early Nov, however, you still have quite a bit of time to hear back from schools re: interviews. I was completed late Sept and still have not heard back from the majority of the schools I have applied to. SOme SDN'ers have had their applications in since July and August! They are mostly the ones with the most interviews. We are also international students, and can expect for the mail system to take longer. All I can say is hang in there and hope for the best. Think about it, we won't hear back from Canadian schools re: interview until Feb at least, so this is still very early!

~JZ

I turned in my secondaries before the August MCAT results came out so that my applications were complete as soon as schools received those scores. However, I have still only heard from a couple of schools. If you still have heard nothing by mid January then yes, there is a problem, but if your apps were only complete in early November it is too early to be worried.

Members don't see this ad :)
cry me a river
then build a bridge and get over it

you're not the only one sitting without acceptances. learn to live with some setbacks in life for crying out loud.

nothing worse than grown ups indulging in their every little emotion and blowing it up and dragging everyone else with them. it's not like you got rejected everywhere or someone you know is sick or dying. you just haven't heard in the few days since your app was complete. less than a month right? boo focking hoo.

Previous posts are right. You will probably hear sometime in Jan, because of the holidays now and then christmas. I believe very few ad com meet during this period, and the bulk of them meet on Jan 15, Feb 15, Mar 15... I know of atleast five schools who do that and I believe from my premed advisor that most of the schools worry about the entrants jan onwards. Remember to them it is an annual event. So, don't stress sit tight focus on something else to get your stres out.

all the best to us all
zingy

hey man im totally with you here, same situation for me exactly and i am canadian! excpetn im in the states, but either way i have sent about 20 in, all complete even earlier than you and havent heard a thing, except for 5 rejections. I have given up this yera and am planning to do this all over again next summer. I am planning to do mcat again nad have gotten studying again etc, just treading this whole year like it nver hapeneind. Im lucky i got help form my family as far as the applicatoin expenses and i have the luxery of doing this again thank god.. but hey dont give up.. i have no idea what your app is like but hey.. just relax, figure out a plan if you dont get in, and atleast that way ull be at ease. I know once i had a plan on what to do if i didnt get in, i felt alot better konwing that i could live with my plan and wait another year.. Good luck.. im NOT at all saying u dont have a great shot of getting in, im just a complete realist and always look for the worst case first. Good luck man!

Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
hey man im totally with you here, same situation for me exactly and i am canadian! excpetn im in the states, but either way i have sent about 20 in, all complete even earlier than you and havent heard a thing, except for 5 rejections. I have given up this yera and am planning to do this all over again next summer. I am planning to do mcat again nad have gotten studying again etc, just treading this whole year like it nver hapeneind. Im lucky i got help form my family as far as the applicatoin expenses and i have the luxery of doing this again thank god.. but hey dont give up.. i have no idea what your app is like but hey.. just relax, figure out a plan if you dont get in, and atleast that way ull be at ease. I know once i had a plan on what to do if i didnt get in, i felt alot better konwing that i could live with my plan and wait another year.. Good luck.. im NOT at all saying u dont have a great shot of getting in, im just a complete realist and always look for the worst case first. Good luck man!

Hey Jolu,

Listen to Dr. Wallstreet, he has the right attitude.
Make a backup plan just in case. If you want to attend medical school bad enough, you will.

On a side note, SDN represents only a small perecentage of applicants and most of the SDNers are high stats people anyways. There's a lot of people that I know who aren't recieving anything yet. It's a scary feeling but hang in there.

Listen to Al Pacino's 9 inch speech for some motivation or eminems 8 mile Lose yourself...it'll make you feel better :)
:clap:

Street Philosopher,
I must say I agree with your attitude. No point getting freaked out at the point where you have only 2 rejections out of 27 schools when your apps haven't even been in a month.

Keep your thinking positive although I know it's really hard. Remember that a lot of movement happens after January and even if you do get waitlisted, a lot of people get in off the waitlist. At my school, they accepted someone off the waitlist last year like 2 days before classes started so not all is lost. Good Luck !!!!!!!!!

Awww come on Street. Give a little luuuuve, honey....

I think the frantic posts tend to scare us all away because it kinda reminds us of our own situation. But fret not. What will be in your fate, will be. I know that it's hard for you right now considering these are the holidays and things seem ever so slow.

But suggestion to you is to go out and party this entire holiday season. For all you know, it's your LAST SEASON OF FUN before med school begins. Do you really want to look back and think to yourself that you were worried for nothing? Go out. Enjoy with your family. See how you've been blessed in ways OTHER than a potential acceptance to med school. If we look around without our rose colored glass, we will find out lucky we all are to have health and happiness in ourselves and those close to us.

Life is more than an acceptance to medical school.

It's not easy for me to say, because i only have ONE interview (out of 33) and that too at my state school. Am I going to kill myself over it? NO!! But if I don't get in, you bet yer hinie that I'm gonna be knocking on these AD Com doors again and hunting them down till I get my acceptance.

PS: just as FYI: most schools take at least one month to respond back. In my opinion, most of them take about 1.5-2 months. So relax. :cool:

Cheer up~~~~! The application process is quite slow, i know, and i still have not heard anything (not secondary apps whatsoever) from a couple of schools I applied to.... but I still believe I can get those secondaries; WHY? because i know that it is too early in the game to worry, and that is why I am not.
Cheer up and smile :), a lot of us are in the same boat as you are, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

jolu, last year my AMCAS application was turned in October 1st. I was at the deadline for a number of secondaries, and actually missed some due to an LOR being late. Basically you're ahead of where I was at this time (and with more applications to boot!) :)

Result:
Creighton interview offer mid-December for Feb. 2 (waitlisted)
Temple interview offer mid January for March 5 (accepted)
MCP Hahnemann offer upon returning from Temple (!!!) for April 15 (accepted)

Was I lucky? You bet. But my point is that you *can* get accepted with interviews late in the game. :D I know that it's discouraging to see so many posters here with multiple interviews and acceptances...just keep in mind that SDNers tend to be keeners (and thus not representative of the general med school applicant population).

Hang in there - I know how hard waiting is, but it *will* end eventually. I'm sure the invites will come at the very least in January, in not next month. Best of luck! :)

Originally posted by jolu
I really do feel like crying. The bulk of my applications were complete around early november (I'm an august mcat'er), but I have not heard from 25 out 27 schools applied to. The two schools that I did hear back are rejections, then no word from all the others. I'm really starting to worry because so many ppl are getting interviews and acceptance (congrats to y'all), and then i've been reading threads that say long wait=rejection, or spring interviews are mainly for waitlist spots....arrrrr......i'm SO STRESSED OUT. Its starting to occur to me that maybe i'm not getting in this year....i'd hate to go through the whole process again next year.

I'm sorry but i really need to get it out of my system.

thanks for listening!!!

if u feel like crying, then CRY , let it out, u will feel better, honestly and then when the interviews and acceptances come, then u cry some more, happy tears though and let us know, good luck! :)

Thanks everybody....it feels good hearing all your warm and encouraging words. I guess the real reason I'm worried is because i read on another thread that if you interview in the spring, its for waitlist spots, well..last year was an exception cuz AMCAS screwed up. I guess IT IS only one month, I shouldn't be this freaked out about...but everyday feels like a week for me...so that's why i felt like i haven't heard from them for a LONG time.

But i'll keep my spirits up...and think about Christmas!!!! (since Thanksgiving has long been over in Toronto...)

Thanks guys!!!

Then cry dear. Crying is good for you.;)