I feel like I screwed up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sortie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was the second-to-last day to withdraw from courses at my university, and I have been struggling with Orgo 2 (Surprise surprise) so I decided to pull the trigger and withdraw, deciding that I can always take it in the spring with the other professor that teachers it; however, I would feel better about my decision if that is all that has happened. I also started regretting this decision intensely not long after I did it.

I did the same thing last year with Orgo 1. I dropped it in the fall about halfway through (W on transcript), retook it in the spring and got a B. I did something similar for A&P last year where I got a D but retook it in the summer and got an A. Of course, this doesn't look very good, especially not with this third blemish. All of my other classes (Bio, physics, calc, etc.) are fine, but just these 3 classes are the biggest blemishes. So I guess I'm wondering, is this really bad or can I save it all with a killer DAT score? Thank you.

My GPA is currently a 3.72 if that helps with anything.

Members don't see this ad.

A few W's are no big deal. Just be prepared to explain that should it come up in an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I am glad you withdrew, better than a C or D!

As for the killer DAT. The DAT is not an easy thing. One mistake will take you from 30 to 26 or 25 on orgo haha..
2 mistakes and you are 23 or 24
3 mistakes and you are 21/22
4 mistakes maybe you are still lucky and you get 20
and 5 mistakes and say goodbye to that killer DAT!

You can mend your W with A's!

But, Killer DAT is not for everyone! Especially with some people getting a hard version of the test and others getting crazy easy questions. ( not a discouragement, just a heads up)

The organic chemistry tutor guy helped me with my A's in orgo
here
+ this awesome professor ( Prof. Jasperse) who has his classes online ( I solved the questions in his practice test quizes)

here

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand what you are saying @Sortie, but if you felt it was in the best decision for your grades, just keep on a rollin now. I had 3 W's on my transcript, but the biggest part is turning it around and coming out on top. Keep pushing forward!

Last edited:
It's not about the W, it's about what the W says about you as a student. The good thing is that you'll have an opportunity on your application to explain it. They just want to see that you are mature and capable- that's why things like this could be a red flag for them. So use that opportunity to talk about it and explain that we make the best decisions with the information we have at that time. Talk about how you learned a lot about yourself and your learning style and that maybe you needed that dissapointment to convince yourself never to get a B again (That's exactly what I did with three W's. I have 7 interviews and your stats are better than mine.) I think they appreciate some frankness and will like to see that you are kind to yourself about mistakes (even though its not a big mistake don't think that) as they are a part of your journey.

Reactions: 1 user
Brother I've got 3 Q drops and a not so phenomenal academic record. Just be prepared to defend your actions and spin it into a positive story about how you succeeded next semester despite your failure.

Reactions: 1 users
This was the second-to-last day to withdraw from courses at my university, and I have been struggling with Orgo 2 (Surprise surprise) so I decided to pull the trigger and withdraw, deciding that I can always take it in the spring with the other professor that teachers it; however, I would feel better about my decision if that is all that has happened. I also started regretting this decision intensely not long after I did it.

I did the same thing last year with Orgo 1. I dropped it in the fall about halfway through (W on transcript), retook it in the spring and got a B. I did something similar for A&P last year where I got a D but retook it in the summer and got an A. Of course, this doesn't look very good, especially not with this third blemish. All of my other classes (Bio, physics, calc, etc.) are fine, but just these 3 classes are the biggest blemishes. So I guess I'm wondering, is this really bad or can I save it all with a killer DAT score? Thank you.

Keep your head up and perform at your best! I believe it definitely won't be bad if you maintain that gpa and do well on DAT. Good luck in your classes!

The 3.7 GPA is all that matters, they probably won't even ask you about your Ws. Plenty of people have that many or more Ws. If they do ask you just own up to it and say you weren't prepared the first time but learned how to handle them the second time and it helped you become a better student..it was a learning experience. But again with a stellar GPA I highly doubt they'll care.

thing is, W's are so normalized that most of the time it does not hold nearly as much weight as it should if you got, say a C in the class. I mean what do you think will look better? a 3.7 with 2-3 W's or a 3.6 with no W's? Honestly, if we're a being objective, the 3.6 with no W's is better, but psychologically, the 3.7 will feel better.

Maybe I should have taken a W here and there in my freshmen year. I would be rock'n 3.7+ gpa too instead of 3.6.

thing is, W's are so normalized that most of the time it does not hold nearly as much weight as it should if you got, say a C in the class. I mean what do you think will look better? a 3.7 with 2-3 W's or a 3.6 with no W's? Honestly, if we're a being objective, the 3.6 with no W's is better, but psychologically, the 3.7 will feel better.

Maybe I should have taken a W here and there in my freshmen year. I would be rock'n 3.7+ gpa too instead of 3.6.
Same. Wish I had that insight back in the freshman days, but I have learned from my mistakes. Win some, lose some.

I got a C in anatomy and was about to drop it and take a W and my pre-health advisor (Who is on a medical school admissions) said he would rather give an interview to someone that got a C in anatomy then someone else that dropped it because the going got tough. I toooook the C

Why not both! My transcript is pretty colorful. Few Q's here few C's there. Repping that sweet 3.6x.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I am glad you withdrew, better than a C or D! .

As for the killer DAT. The DAT is not an easy thing. One mistake will take you from 30 to 26 or 25 on orgo haha...
2 mistakes and you are 23 or 24
3 mistakes and you are 21/22
4 mistakes maybe you are still lucky and you get 20
and 5 mistakes and say goodbye to that killer DAT!.

You can mend your W with A's!

But, Killer DAT is not for everyone! Especially with some people getting a hard version of the test and others getting crazy easy questions. ( not a discouragement, just a heads up)

The organic chemistry tutor guy helped me with my A's in orgo.
here.
+ this awesome professor ( Prof. Jasperse) who has his classes online ( I solved the questions in his practice test quizes).

here.

Are there really different versions of the DAT, and is there a trend via months you take it or is it just random?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes the DAT differs. Some are “easier” than others. They’re supposed to be the same but my tests lacked any plant anatomy so I lucked out.

If they recycled tests then people who took them a second time would have an unfair advantage.

Yes the DAT differs. Some are “easier” than others. They’re supposed to be the same but my tests lacked any plant anatomy so I lucked out.

If they recycled tests then people who took them a second time would have an unfair advantage.
yes, but the scores are standardized
in addition, on most standardized tests, there are additional unscored questions that are being tested to see how they are answered

Yea I get it, but I hear people saying it’s all about the time (month) you took it at. When did you take your?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have 11 withdrawals on my transcript and got into dental school and PA school. Withdrawals are always better than a C or worse. Don't tell yourself any different.

2W's and 3C's on my undergrad transcript,
got accepted to dschools in my first cycle, currently in top 10 in my class.
Anything is possible as long as you don't give up

2W's and 3C's on my undergrad transcript,
got accepted to dschools in my first cycle, currently in top 10 in my class.
Anything is possible as long as you don't give up
When I went for my interviews. A lot of the times the professors and staff said the top performers in the class were those that struggled and did bad enough to want to seek redemption in dental schools. I 100% agree!

@Jolly roger dentistry I took it in August. I did spend three months studying full time which is why I did so well.

Great answer,AppalachianDentalBoy, From my years of experience working with students, most need to put in the hard work and several months of study time to achieve high scores. IMO, the DAT exam is challenging all the time, what month or day you take does not matter, as long as you are prepared!

Good luck to all yet to take the DAT!

Nancy