I got a Job At CVS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I had an interview today at a CVS near my school. It started out kind of bad, as traffic down to the store was absolutely horrendous. My phone gave me an arrival time of 2:59 and my Interview was at 3, even though I had left with 30 minutes to spare (google maps is not the best with accident reporting!). So, with a bit of driving I managed to get in the door at 2:59. My interviewer was super nice and very understanding. We talked for probably half an hour or more about just about everything. How I had came from an independent, how busy the store would be, my schedule, what I do in my free time, my goals about becoming a pharmacist, etc. She actually offered me the position on the spot at the end-ish of the interview, which I wasn't expecting at all (she said she had other interviews prior, as well). I feel like we got along very well. The store seemed nice and I even spoke to the store manager for a moment or two and he was very nice also. I of course accepted and she said she would get the ball rolling on my hiring process. Two other things, she also mentioned that I would be able to transfer to an intern position eventually with the store, and that when I was away on break she could arrange for me to work at stores closer to home. They are also willing to work with my schedule.

I know some people are leery about anything CVS, but my interview today was absolutely wonderful and everyone was so nice. I am very excited about starting at this store and working with everyone. I couldn't have been happier about the whole process.

Anyway, sorry for the long and ramble-y post, I just wanted to update and say how my interview went.

Thanks for reading!

Dd3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do well and make them hire you when you graduate. CVS is hectic and ridiculous, but you'll get paid more than anyone else other than the occasional outlier.

Reactions: 3 users
So, I had an interview today at a CVS near my school. It started out kind of bad, as traffic down to the store was absolutely horrendous. My phone gave me an arrival time of 2:59 and my Interview was at 3, even though I had left with 30 minutes to spare (google maps is not the best with accident reporting!). So, with a bit of driving I managed to get in the door at 2:59. My interviewer was super nice and very understanding. We talked for probably half an hour or more about just about everything. How I had came from an independent, how busy the store would be, my schedule, what I do in my free time, my goals about becoming a pharmacist, etc. She actually offered me the position on the spot at the end-ish of the interview, which I wasn't expecting at all (she said she had other interviews prior, as well). I feel like we got along very well. The store seemed nice and I even spoke to the store manager for a moment or two and he was very nice also. I of course accepted and she said she would get the ball rolling on my hiring process. Two other things, she also mentioned that I would be able to transfer to an intern position eventually with the store, and that when I was away on break she could arrange for me to work at stores closer to home. They are also willing to work with my schedule.

I know some people are leery about anything CVS, but my interview today was absolutely wonderful and everyone was so nice. I am very excited about starting at this store and working with everyone. I couldn't have been happier about the whole process.

Anyway, sorry for the long and ramble-y post, I just wanted to update and say how my interview went.

Thanks for reading!

Dd3
Congrats.

We'll all start the timer for how long it takes you to leave. LOL

Congrats...Reminding me of how I got hired as an intern for Walgreens during pharmacy school. I was also hired on spot right after interview. Boy, later I realized that was one of the most busiest Walgreens that I have ever seen: Nearly 1200 prescriptions on a daily basis during winter season. My manager told me I could work anytime I wanted. Most interns transferred after a month or two. I lasted more than 12 months until coming back California for my internship and licensing.

Thanks for reading!

Dd3

congrats! I think it is the right move going from independent to CVS as a tech at least. Look better resume-wise. I don't work for chains so I can't comment on the gloom-and-dooms but you are the third person I encounter in one week that has positive experience with CVS.

Reactions: 1 users
CVS is honestly great training for pharmacy. It’s like New York. If you can make it at CVS, you can make it anywhere.

I wish more techs and RPhs has CVS ‘boot camp’ “training”. I actually had lots of positive experiences as an intern as well. I only truly came to hate it as PIC. Even staff wasn’t TOO bad.

Reactions: 6 users
It is a joyous moment to be validated by getting a job offer. Please take this as opportunity to fully absorb the retail experience. Observe other techs, see what they do and their interaction with pharmacist. Then, put yourself in pharmacist's shoes and imagine what would you do as pharmacist to deal with the issues. That will give you insight of a licensed pharmacist and help you down the road with your career decision as P4.

As a tech/intern, this is your moment to shine, and get that recommendation you need in the future. It is also where you are allowed to make mistakes or screw up a few times without fear of repercussions. You will be challenged, and at times overwhelmed. Just hanging in there, and don't give up trying to get into a hospital system.

Good Luck.

Reactions: 3 users
She said my training period would be kind of long (100 days or so) and I would have a lot of modules, but not to be overwhelmed. I'm going to take notes and be as observant as I can to try and do as well as possible. I think I will be able to balance my hours working with my school work, well also, as I'll be working around 20 hours per week and on Mondays, Fridays, and Weekends. On Mondays and Fridays I only have one class from 9-10 AM and I'm done the rest of the day.

She said my training period would be kind of long (100 days or so) and I would have a lot of modules, but not to be overwhelmed. I'm going to take notes and be as observant as I can to try and do as well as possible. I think I will be able to balance my hours working with my school work, well also, as I'll be working around 20 hours per week and on Mondays, Fridays, and Weekends. On Mondays and Fridays I only have one class from 9-10 AM and I'm done the rest of the day.

Learn this, anything retail will be easily doable after the “CVS” route.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do well and make them hire you when you graduate. CVS is hectic and ridiculous, but you'll get paid more than anyone else other than the occasional outlier.

I'm gonna guess that Philly pay should be the same as NYC pay? If I were to get an offer from CVS, would expecting $65/hr starting be ridiculous for someone with 6 years exp?

CVS is honestly great training for pharmacy. It’s like New York. If you can make it at CVS, you can make it anywhere.

I wish more techs and RPhs has CVS ‘boot camp’ “training”. I actually had lots of positive experiences as an intern as well. I only truly came to hate it as PIC. Even staff wasn’t TOO bad.

I'd agree. The workflow just made sense when I was at CVS.

Other places I interned and worked at, their workflows make no sense or have additional steps that just make everything take longer. (One independent I work for has every patient hand write their info on a card and then the clerk takes that and the scripts to the drop off person, and this card has to follow the scripts to the labels to the meds and has to be stapled on top of the Rx bag. fkin unnecessary ****.)

Reactions: 1 user
I'd agree. The workflow just made sense when I was at CVS.

Other places I interned and worked at, their workflows make no sense or have additional steps that just make everything take longer. (One independent I work for has every patient hand write their info on a card and then the clerk takes that and the scripts to the drop off person, and this card has to follow the scripts to the labels to the meds and has to be stapled on top of the Rx bag. fkin unnecessary ****.)

So true. There is plenty of work, why make up more work/steps? So stupid.

Somethings you don't miss until you don't have them. For example, having a production queue that tracks scrips and shows you which ones are printed but not scanned and which ones need to be printed to me seems so basic that it shouldn't even be called a 'feature'. And yet where I work now the "production queue" is two different screens, one for printing labels and other for scanning them. Neither screen shows the progress of the label after being printed. It's so, so stupid.

Even simple things like keeping your queue organized by time...it boggles my mind that there are systems worse than CVS.

Our "Triage" could learn a thing or two from CVS as well. We have to look in at least three different places for new orders and they are not organized in any logical way. Just different screens, one grouped by when the order arrived and the other grouped by where it came from. No sense of priority about what should be typed first, etc etc.

@WVUPharm2007 or anyone with CVS experience, could you expand on the training policy? She explained it pretty well, but I'm still a bit confused on how the whole process works. She mentioned I would start as a front store associate for the first little bit and then advance to the Pharmacy. How long does this usually take? Will I be a front store associate until I complete all of the training modules? I have also heard that you are paid during training but again I'm not too sure. Any help or info regarding the training process would be super. Thanks so much!

Learn this, anything retail will be easily doable after the “CVS” route.

After CVS, I feel like I can now take the MCAT and go to med school... in fact, am actually thinking about doing that. haha

@WVUPharm2007 or anyone with CVS experience, could you expand on the training policy? She explained it pretty well, but I'm still a bit confused on how the whole process works. She mentioned I would start as a front store associate for the first little bit and then advance to the Pharmacy. How long does this usually take? Will I be a front store associate until I complete all of the training modules? I have also heard that you are paid during training but again I'm not too sure. Any help or info regarding the training process would be super. Thanks so much!

I have no idea what's up with that. We start pharmacy workers in the pharmacy.

After CVS, I feel like I can now take the MCAT and go to med school... in fact, am actually thinking about doing that. haha
you are working for an independent right? how would you compare the work ethics of the techs there vs. when you were at cvs?

My condolences.

J/k, congrats. Now start saving that nest egg.

you are working for an independent right? how would you compare the work ethics of the techs there vs. when you were at cvs?

Eh... we got some bad ones and good ones haha the bad ones that we have are okay at best but since the work itself isn't that bad, we're keeping them. If they were to go to CVS, they'd probably be fired the next day lol

Maybe it's how that store trains the register and sales part? (just offering a suggestion - I have no idea)
I think that may be it. I think she mentioned that it was just to sort of get acquainted with how the company operates and how the store itself operates in terms of cash registers and stuff. The way she spoke I can only guess it won't be for very long. Hopefully, anyway. After googling some stuff it seems like this has happened to other techs who have never worked at CVS, but it may not be something every store does.

CVS...? you tried hospital right? man i wish you would have gotten a hospital job as a tech because those are so much better. the pay is at least $20/hour i heard. you're certified too so you should at least be making $20. getting certified is probably annoying as ****, might as well be compensated more. hospital you also do less work, less stress, and better quality of life.

CVS is... you will not like it. one reason: they pay you garbage yet expect you to work a lot. pretty annoying. i interned there for 3 years while in school and didn't enjoy it. i ended up only taking 1 shift a week, 8 hrs per shift and got paid like $80 after taxes, it was laughable. they didn't offer me a job after graduation because i didn't take the job seriously when i first started (didn't know i was going to do retail). so i signed on with walgreens as a graduate intern and recently passed my boards and got promoted to pharmacist. the pay is excellent

by the way. i know you're not going to listen to me or others here but just remember that we warned you about pharmacy. the profession is very saturated right now and the amount of debt you take on isn't worth it. i know you won't listen to me, but i warned you okay?

Congratulations. Although I'm happy I left CVS, I'm grateful for the time I spent there learning and handling the **** on a day-to-day basis. I literally feel like I can run laps around everyone at my current job. Learn as much as you can there. Best of luck!

Update: Got my offer letter. $13/hour bi-weekly as a Pharmacy Technician. Strangely enough, though, it said I would be a full time employee. I contacted my "hiring agent" and haven't accepted yet just to make sure that I will be part time, as I applied and interviewed as a part time applicant (well, I said I was available 1-9 Monday and Friday, and any time saturday or sunday and would like to work around 20 hours/week and she said that was fine). Anyway, just wanted to update my offer details and where I'm at in the whole process. I move in to school tomorrow so I will probably be very busy for a couple days, haha. Thanks everyone for your help and kind wishes!

Update Again: Took my drug test two days ago and got the email about ordering my uniforms today. Just placed my order and my allotment of 2 uniforms are being shipped to the store. I haven't got my start date yet, but I assume I will start training sometime within the next week.

And yet where I work now the "production queue" is two different screens, one for printing labels and other for scanning them. Neither screen shows the progress of the label after being printed. It's so, so stupid.

Our "Triage" could learn a thing or two from CVS as well. We have to look in at least three different places for new orders and they are not organized in any logical way. Just different screens, one grouped by when the order arrived and the other grouped by where it came from. No sense of priority about what should be typed first, etc etc.

I completely agree about the production queue. There should be a dashboard showing the total amount of rx's needing to be packaged, scanned, and toted. S&T is such a weird way of tracking progress since you can't see the whole picture in terms of which steps need more attention.

My location has Triage, order entry, and controls for entering orders. Any additional queues are unncessary since the orders can be flagged as urgent, etc.

The whole switching back to bergen caused such a huge SNAFU with the NDCs. What a nightmare.

I completely agree about the production queue. There should be a dashboard showing the total amount of rx's needing to be packaged, scanned, and toted. S&T is such a weird way of tracking progress since you can't see the whole picture in terms of which steps need more attention.

My location has Triage, order entry, and controls for entering orders. Any additional queues are unncessary since the orders can be flagged as urgent, etc.

The whole switching back to bergen caused such a huge SNAFU with the NDCs. What a nightmare.

You are so right.

For clarity and since you obviously know the system, in terms of three different places to look I was referring to docutrack, landing pad, and in the fax machine (for IVs at least at my site). The way landing pad groups the orders is also just unbelievably dumb to me. There is no way that whoever ‘designed’ it actually uses it to process orders.

I wasn’t referring to the multiple queue inside docutract, which is a whole nother layer of stupid. You don’t need multiple queues to stay organized. Just type from triag and change the document type as needed (for example if something needs to be clarified). It’s SO stupid to go through and ‘triag’ orders and then go to a different queue to type them.

For clarity and since you obviously know the system, in terms of three different places to look I was referring to docutrack, landing pad, and in the fax machine (for IVs at least at my site). The way landing pad groups the orders is also just unbelievably dumb to me. There is no way that whoever ‘designed’ it actually uses it to process orders.

Sorry didn't know it was that you were referring to. I usually look at the document in OE and if it looks like an electronic Rx then I go to the landing pad. For some reason a lot of electronic order documents in OE don't show up in landing pad or are duplicates already in profile. So weird.

IVs are another story lol. I rather they just fax it (only receive faxes on DT) so I know its there if I check triage as opposed to being in the landing pad where it can appear as one of many electronic documents in order entry...

My condolences.
J/k, congrats. Now start saving that nest egg.

Haha, he got a job as an technician, not as a pharmacist. I'm guessing all of his salary will be going towards minimizing his huge college debt.

Haha, he got a job as an technician, not as a pharmacist. I'm guessing all of his salary will be going towards minimizing his huge college debt.
No I just starting financing a new BMW M5, of course!

Just kidding, lol. Yeah I'm going to pay off my undergrad loans interest and what I can of the principal while in school.

Well, some experience never hurt anyone; hopefully, you won't be one of the pharmacists who doesn't know how to do triage or production.
Definitely need to know the ins-and-outs regarding work flow order

Screw CVS...go get a job as a tech/intern at a hospital...CVS is everyone's last choice.

Congratulations! Give your best. It is a joyous moment to be validated by getting a job offer.

Congratulations! I say no matter what you do, you should try your best no matter who tells you what. Retail isn't for everyone and who's to say hospital is for everyone. I've met pharmacists who would never want to work in a hospital and prefers retail and vice versa. Grass always seem greener on the other side. Only you can determine if you want to do something. That being said, I also suggest to explore the different fields from internships or rotations while you're in school. Good luck! :)

Congratulations! I say no matter what you do, you should try your best no matter who tells you what. Retail isn't for everyone and who's to say hospital is for everyone. I've met pharmacists who would never want to work in a hospital and prefers retail and vice versa. Grass always seem greener on the other side. Only you can determine if you want to do something. That being said, I also suggest to explore the different fields from internships or rotations while you're in school. Good luck! :)
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely try to go on as many different rotations in school to see what suits me best. As of now retail is something I enjoy and I feel like if nothing else I could always fall back on that.