I got into a Popdiatry School, BUT...

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by Pursuing MD, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Pursuing MD

Pursuing MD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello all,

I can really use all of your advice and/or suggestions. I recently was accepted into a podiatry school. HOWEVER, I may not want to attend any podiatry school at this time.

I am still waiting to hear from SGU medical school, which granted me an interview last week. If I am not accepted to SGU, then I will hopefully go after podiatry...but that will be a year from now.

Any suggestions as to what I should tell the podiatry school, if anything? I mean, I can decline their acceptance without having to explain my decision; this is normal. However, I am afraid that this will leave a very negative impression with the podiatry school, and may hurt my chances if I don't get into SGU and later decide to apply to the podiatry school.

I can -- maybe -- defer my acceptance for a year...does anyone know if I can actually do that w/ pod. schools? Or if I were to reapply to the podaitry school next year, I can (try to) explain to them why I reapplied a year later after being accepted. But what would be a good reason...I was considering a carrer in MD? I doubt they'd like to hear that.

THANKS!

2. christie

christie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It sems like Podiatry is not your first choice career. If I were in your situtation and didn't get into med school on the first try, then I would reapply to med school. You have to ask yourself whether you are really going to be happy with Podiatry as a career. You don't want to have regrets in later in life. Podiatry is a great profession, but you have to make the choice if its right for you, not because you weren't able to get into med school.

Good luck! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    I agree with Christie whole-heartedly, and would second those comments.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Not a problem. The worst that will happen is you'll have to apply next year. In near-seriousness, I did not apply to pod. schools and I still got accepted. ;)

I'll third Christie's very wise comments.

5. OP
    OP
    Pursuing MD

Pursuing MD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ItsGavinC:

You said,
    How is this possible? Please calrify. THANKS

6. efs

efs SDN Advisor

Podiatrist
    I would consider the first part of this, and not take him seriously.

7. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I did receive literature in the mail from Barry (who doesn't?) which is just as good as an interview invite from them.

8. efs

efs SDN Advisor

Podiatrist
    I suppose that's just about the same as getting in, which means you really just about graduated too. Right?

9. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Eric,

I think that Gavin is correct about a mailing from a pod school equals an invite. I'll even go further (as you sarcastically alluded to) and say that it equals an acceptance. I cannot speak for the difficulty of remaining in pod school or graduating from one because I will not be attending one. I can speak on the ease with which one can receive an interview and acceptance because I received 2 before I decided that Podiatry was not right for me. Because of the severe lack of applicants versus the number of available seats, I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that everyone who applies will at least get an interview and probably an acceptance. I do not assume that that means that getting out will be as easy as getting in.