I got my mcat score, should I apply? Please help, I'm confused.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crieka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The first time I took the mcat I got
August 2005 - 1st: P:9 B:6 V:3 Writting P
The second time I took the mcat I got
April 2006 - 2nd: P:8 B:9 V:6 Writting Q

I have an overall 3.6 GPA with 3.4 science GPA. I have 1.5 years of research, 4 years of clincial exposures via volunteering at the hospital, 8 months of DO exposure (the DO wrote me a letter of rec, too), a bunch of other recent extracurricular activities. I'm working as a tutor right now. What do you think I should do? should I retake the mcat again, my practice scores were around 22ish to 24ish to start with (24 was probably highest). Do you think I have good shots at DO schools? Please reply. Thank so much.

Members don't see this ad.

crieka said:
Hi,

I have an overall 3.6 GPA with 3.4 science GPA. I have 1.5 years of research, 4 years of clincial exposures via volunteering at the hospital, 8 months of DO exposure (the DO wrote me a letter of rec, too), a bunch of other recent extracurricular activities. I'm working as a tutor right now. What do you think I should do? should I retake the mcat again, my practice scores were around 22ish to 24ish to start with (24 was probably highest). Do you think I have good shots at DO schools? Please reply. Thank so much.
what study method did you use? maybe try a different one

You could apply this cycle to see if you can get accepted to some schools. You can study MCAT during the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
crieka said:
Hi,

Definitly apply, many osteopathics schools have an average around 25, I think you have a good shot! good luck!

apply broadly and early...which means now

dr.z said:
You could apply this cycle to see if you can get accepted to some schools. You can study MCAT during the application process.

I agree with you.

apply to every DO school now and study for the mcat....take them again in aug as a back up. if the scores are higher, add them on! so far they're going in the right direction. good luck!

DrMikeyLu said:
apply broadly and early...which means now
I agree. I know a few people who got in with 21, 23, 24. If you don't get any bits by nov then start studying for the MCAT again. In the mean time work on the verbal anyways. Good luck.

I am not a perfect applicant by any means, but I was able to get above a 10 on the verbal with lots of practice. In my opinion the verbal section is the easiest section to IMPROVE on, because you don't need any outside knowledge to answer the questions asked after the passages. It is also not too draining to study for it if you pace yourself. My suggestions:

1) get the examcrackers VERBAL section workbook and do all the 101 (I think) passages in there. Do a few at a time until it is close to the MCAT day where you may want to time yourself. You will get very familiar with the types of questions asked and realize that they only ask a few types of questions with an oddball here and there. Even if you skip the oddballs and get everything else right, that is still a 8 or 9 probably.

2) if you have any free time whatsoever (outsifde of classes and work) read books and magazines (preferably more intellectual stuff, like National Geographic or Discover, not Maxim, Vogue, etc.) and try to watch as little TV as possible. By reading stuff you normally are not familair with you will be able to better grasp the random topics in the MCAT passages, also your attention span will increase significantly if you are constantly reading (active thinking) instead of watching TV (passive).

These are just suggestions and very basic ones at that. For me, after I got a score I was happy with the first thing I did was watch some TV but I never got back to watching as much as I did before studying for the MCATs.

Lastly I think with your current scores you are still very in the running to get an interview invite but it never hurts to prepare ahead. And I think for you the surest way to prepare is to study for the MCAT, even if you end up not having to take it again.

cheers :)

definitely apply if u can afford it! if i were you, i would apply to maybe 10-15 do schools and see how the responses for interviews look. you can always retake the mcat if the need be, but maybe you dont need to...

hey i got a 28m 11v 8p 9b
i have a 3.67 overall gpa witha 3.64 science gpa
my essay score was really low which really surprised me and Im curious as to how important this score is. I also really don't want to take the mcat again. Do I have any chance of getting in with these scores?

Unless you are just strapped for cash, go ahead and apply. If you don't get in (but I think u will if you have good EC's, essays, and letters), then get that verbal score up.

ewar84 said:
hey i got a 28m 11v 8p 9b
i have a 3.67 overall gpa witha 3.64 science gpa
my essay score was really low which really surprised me and Im curious as to how important this score is. I also really don't want to take the mcat again. Do I have any chance of getting in with these scores?

Most medical schools don't give a crapola about the WS score. Heck, your VR score is 11.

You can now do something else.

23 is lowish to get an interview, but definitely not impossible. Really the only thing that will save you is applying EARLY, like 20 days ago. It's the only way to save:

a)A lowish MCAT, or
b)A lowish GPA.

Not only does that mean turning in AACOMAS TODAY, but it means sending in your secondaries THE SAME DAY YOU RECEIVE THEM OR THE DAY AFTER. And send them express/priority mail so they'll get there the day after or three days max.

If your LORs and transcripts aren't yet ready to go, GET them ready. Have all your LORs ready to go out the door the second that secondary arrives(the first secondaries usually by end of July/first of August). They take a while, so get on it. Write, rewrite, rewrite that personal statement. Ace the interview. See? Easy. If only. :D

23 is low, but I still think you have a chance. Your gpa is not bad and you seem to have a lot of experience. Best advise is to apply to at least 10 DO schools, probably more. Make sure to get a letter of rec from a DO and apply as quickly as possible. Do your best to show your interest in osteopathic medicine in your essay unless you have a better topic.

-Chris

As I have said in the past, DO schools do not just focus on one aspect of an aplicants application. Absolutely you should apply. Good luck!!!!

crieka said:
Hi,

1. Apply to as many schools as possible.

2. Retake the MCAT in August.