I got REJECTED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right after the PD downloaded my pic!

What does that mean???

aProgDirector, HELP!!!

(Haha. Sorry guys. Just trying to lighten up the mood as we begin the application process).

G'luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...I feel for you...Take heart...it's just one program...At least you know you wont be waiting on that one and you can focus your energies on the other nicer programs. I am getting scared myself...but Im thinking just 6 months from now and I will laugh over this...Sort of like Step 1 : ) Good luck!

Does this mean that all programs will let you know one way or the other whether you've been invited to interview or your application has been rejected? Did they give you a reason? To which field are applying?

weeeellll....i honestly thought that you thought you were rejected so quickly because of your photo ( I don't know how you look like...)

and if you thought you were that errrrr unattractive...i thought a little support would be an act of good will...so i guess the joke's really on me, huh? :laugh:

The programs can't download your picture until after they evaluate your application. I know the OP was kidding (got a laugh out of me) but people actually seem concerned about this! Your picture has absolutely no effect on your application, I think it's just so the program can remember who you are after they interview you. I'll probably just have my school scan in the pic my school took at our white coat ceremony 3 years ago, because I'm too lazy to have another one taken. :)

The programs can't download your picture until after they evaluate your application. I know the OP was kidding (got a laugh out of me) but people actually seem concerned about this! Your picture has absolutely no effect on your application, I think it's just so the program can remember who you are after they interview you. I'll probably just have my school scan in the pic my school took at our white coat ceremony 3 years ago, because I'm too lazy to have another one taken. :)

This is not entirely correct. The way ERAS handles photographs is new this year, so advice / descriptions from last year are no longer valid.

LAST YEAR: Applicants uploaded photos, which were automatically downloaded to programs. Photos were "screened" (i.e. not visible) until an applicant was selected for interview.

THIS YEAR: Applicants upload photos. They then assign them individually to programs, much like PS's and LOR's. Once assigned to programs, the photos are instantly viewable. However, programs have the ability to "block" all photos -- this prevents the program from seeing any of the photos, regardless of interview status. Blocking is all or nothing -- either I see them all or I can't see any!

I called ERAS about this. Apparently the concern was that PD's could check the "Selected for interview" box, look at the photo, and then decide whether to interview or not. So, this year students have complete control.

Thus, if you are worried that your photo may prevent you from getting an interview (like, for example, you have a third eye ** for some reason, on my machine this pops up a "page not found" message, but when reloaded the image appears???), then you should not release your photo until after you have an interview scheduled (or after your interview is completed, if you are really paranoid).

If you don't care, then just release it now.

Does this mean that all programs will let you know one way or the other whether you've been invited to interview or your application has been rejected? Did they give you a reason? To which field are applying?

Not all programs answer you back, some explain why they send you an invite or a rejection.

THIS YEAR: Applicants upload photos. They then assign them individually to programs, much like PS's and LOR's. Once assigned to programs, the photos are instantly viewable. However, programs have the ability to "block" all photos -- this prevents the program from seeing any of the photos, regardless of interview status. Blocking is all or nothing -- either I see them all or I can't see any!

Any idea as to where on the ERAS program I can do this(upload a photo)? Because everything I click doesn't show me.

Any idea as to where on the ERAS program I can do this(upload a photo)? Because everything I click doesn't show me.

Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but at my school we email our photo to the ERAS coordinator person and she uploads it to ERAS - we were told that we must do it this way for some reason, we cannot do it ourselves. So I don't know if it is not possible to do it yourself or if our school just does it that way for some other reason. So you may want to contact the ERAS person at your med school and ask.

I thought the school's did it. My photo just showed up the next workday, once I submitted my application (I think I may have assigned it to programs too - maybe you have to do that first, like the LORs).

I never thought my joke would turn into an actual discussion about the signficance of pics on ERAS! Hey, at least it turned out educational.

I still haven't uploaded my pic. Not b/c I'm ugly (I think) but b/c I'm being lazy and haven't gotten around to actually going to one of those passport photo places and dishing out $8-12.

I never thought my joke would turn into an actual discussion about the signficance of pics on ERAS! Hey, at least it turned out educational.

I still haven't uploaded my pic. Not b/c I'm ugly (I think) but b/c I'm being lazy and haven't gotten around to actually going to one of those passport photo places and dishing out $8-12.

This shouldn't be necessary. We can just email in any jpeg photo (eg. I put on a nice shirt and my husband took a picture of me standing in front of a plain wall in our house) or if you have to have an actual photo for some reason it doesn't have to be a fancy passport photo, just cut yourself out of any picture you already have that is the right size. This is what I did for med school apps and I got in with no problem. Just trying to save you a little money.

I got an email from a few programs notifying me that they have to have a photo before they can invite me to interview. Isn't this against federal law? Do they know this and just not care (taking their chances)?

In previous years, I believe programs were only able to download your picture after an interview invite was extended. No one is required to provide a photo (like bocking info on caller id), so requesting one in order to be interviewed is kinda like not taking anonymous callers. I don't think its illegal to view the photo beforehand, just to use it in decision making, although this is obviously a naive idea.

Let's face it, this process, and any selection processs in medicine, is by and large random and unfair.

Just say cheese. :D

i guess if they don't like the way you look they might not offer you an interview now? there's no way to know. just have to play the game (we've already been playing it for 4+ years).

Gee, guess I better hurry up and get that photo in. I wasn't really giving it much thought, figured it just had to be up before my interview. :rolleyes: