I got three F grades my first quarter in college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

egress

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN, I'd like to get some thoughts about whether I have any shot at all at MD schools and, additionally, whether I'd have any reason to apply to top 20 schools?

Situation:
Career changer after many years in diff career
3.4 AMCAS uGPA (including three F non-science grades that I got my first quarter of college, then retook later, with A grades). Disastrous grades were from 2004.
3.7 post-bacc sGPA (completed in last two years); these grades are included in the 3.4 AMCAS total

I know my overall undergrad GPA is low for premed and far lower than later grades would suggest. Is it absolutely necessary to address those grades in the essay, even if later grades indicate that those grades are a complete anomaly? Would you recommend that my rationale for low grades appear in personal statement or just in secondaries? Thanks in advance, egress

Members don't see this ad.

What’s your MCAT, sGPA, and EC’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 3.4 GPA is not that bad at all, especially with an upward trend. I would say probably not competitive for top 20 though, with F's, unless you do absolutely stellar on the MCAT.

Thanks, very helpful to know! 3.4 with the three failing grades isn't as bad as could be, but I have to say that it's been hard to bring up. At first it was easy, but now I'm at the point of major diminishing returns.

ECs are v good, as it's just easier to get really good positions as an older candidate and with corporate stuff/references on your resume. So that's something many nontrads have going for them--we're more hirable and more likely to be reliable, at least at this stage.