I guess this is why we are still necessary health care providers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npage148

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A still practicing out of town cardio thoracic surgeon walks up to the pharmacy counter with an rx pad in hand (yes, he travels 1000 miles cross country with his pad).

"I'd like to prescribe some chloramphenicol eyes drops for my wife, do you have any in stock?"

Me: "lol, what?!"

Him: "isn't that first line therapy for conjunctivitis?"

Me: "I think it's kinda frowned upon due to that whole blood toxicity thing. How about some tobramycin or do you want a combo with a steroid?"

Him: "isn't that only a concern for peds? Tobramycin is fine, it's not that inflamed, that's tobradex right?"

Me: "just write tobramycin 0.3%"

Him: "ummm...."

Me: "2 drops every 6 hours is fine"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean...let's be fair here...WTF does some old surgeon know about outpatient eye antibiotics...?

Yup, our GS' always call for non-surgery related anything.

Inch wide, mile deep.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure. Good point but then show some humility and ask for some advice instead of trying to prescribe the worst choice possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Chloramphenicol eye and ear drops were discontinued around the time I graduated, over 20 years ago. I suppose they can be compounded, but your average retail pharmacy is not going to have IV CAP on hand.

If only they could be as easily swayed with their Kcentra use
Do you see a lot of that? I've been curious about its hospital use (I'm in outpatient) as I never saw it on rotations, to my surprise.

Last edited:
Do you see a lot of that? I've been curious about its hospital use (I'm in outpatient) as I never saw it on rotations, it my surprise.

Sometimes physicians can be a little overzealous with their use of it, gotta try and talk them down.

I'm still surprised sometimes that some MDs and nurses are surprised when I tell them we pharmacists are doctors too. A lot of people in the healthcare profession still think pharmacy is a BS or MS degree...

I'm still surprised sometimes that some MDs and nurses are surprised when I tell them we pharmacists are doctors too. A lot of people in the healthcare profession still think pharmacy is a BS or MS degree...

Hell, I forget I have a doctorate half the time. It's not like anybody addresses me using it. I don't particularly care, either.

Just goes to show that everyone has their area of expertise. To be honest, its what you are repeatedly exposed to, day in and day out, that you will know , and be capable of applying in clinical situations. My mother is a physician, and can only describe the location of dental pain as "top right, top left." She leaves the specifics to me. I know my Abx like the back of my hand as it is absolutely necessary in dentistry, but I still pick her brain when patients come in with interesting medical syndromes that I likely have never been exposed to.
Everyone should know their limits. No man is an island.

Reactions: 5 users