I had a question about when to take the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonc1213

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the forums. Hello! I was hoping to spend the summer preparing myself for the PCAT and applying for Fall 08 admission to a number of schools. The only problem is: a lot of what is on the PCAT I have yet to take in class. I've got Genetics, Org I AND II (I know this could prove to be problematic), a few general electives depending on the school and A and P I and II to go. I can definetly have all of my coursework done by Fall 2008. This summer I will be taking Molecular/Cell Biology and Chem II so I'll have some biology and all of general chem under my belt. My question is this: would it be possible to score well on the PCAT if I got the kaplan book, barrons book, audiolearn biology tapes, an organic chem text or prep book, and didn't have a life this summer? I'm hoping for...some hope. I really didn't want to wait until 2009 to go to school. The only good thing about waiting until 2009 is possibly my PCAT would be stronger and that would give me time to get some experience or volunteer work. I'm still hoping to apply to schools September 07'. My GPA is sitting at about a 3.8 at the moment and I'm attending a CC. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping this so maybe someone can answer this post!, I too am interested in this.

what's your background?

I'd say you can get away without taking genetics and a&p if you have a solid biology background.

But I'd need to know what your chemistry background was before having an idea if you could get away without taking it before taking the test. For example: One person I knew from college never took phyics, took the Kaplan and got a 40 on his MCAT, but was an exceptional student that was great at math (thus picked up physics quickly). On the other hand, I've also seen a student who had taken all the prerequisites and was working on a MS, then take the OAT and barely break 260 (below 40th percentile).

So really, it depends on you.

But if you're talking about the average student based on a pool of students, I'd say no...having never taken orgo, you will get a lot of those questions wrong and kill your chemistry score.

I'd ask myself:

1. Do I learn more on my own, or do I learn through a class? If your answer is the former, then I think you can teach yourself Gen Chem II and Cell Bio as those two topics are on the PCAT. If not but you still want to get into pharmacy school for 2008, then study but take the October exam.

2. Am I talented in chemistry? It's easier to get by on the PCAT for chemistry if you are have talent solving chemistry problems without much effort. If you need guidance and lots of work to get an A, then I would allot more time to studying.

If you really want to get into pharmacy school for 2008 and you think you are capable, then I would apply with what you have. If the worse case scenario happens, then you can always reapply the next year.

Be gentle... first time poster, and i've been lurking for about two weeks now. I think my situation is similar to the original poster. I haven't taken orgo I and II, A&P, and microbiology (though I start that class in July). I'll be taking the Kaplan prep classes and i've gotten study aids for A&P, and Orgo I. I'm planning to take the PCATs for the first time in August.

I've taken general biology and chemistry last year with B+ on both classes. I would have gotten an A in bio if I wasn't so lazy and decided to take the optional final. As far as general chemistry, i've gotten As and Bs on my exams, however, a C- on the final brought me to an 89.3%. :mad:

Last summer I took an introductory chemistry class at my local CC that touched the basics of general chemistry, biochemistry, and organic chemistry. Basic nomanclature is not that bad.