I hate Chemistry!!

Eyeofthestorm1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently a Sophomore in high school, I actually want to be a research scientist, but this thread seemed like a good place to gather opinions.

So this year I am taking Honors Chemistry (Inorganic) and it is absolutely horrible! I feel like I am watching paint dry on a wall listening to these 90 minute lectures every other day. (My school is on block schedule.) I really don't want to hate Chemistry, but it has been a struggle for me.

Despite how boring I find the subject, I can power through the lectures and not zone out. This doesn't do much for me, I still for whatever reason just don't retain the information. I try to watch videos on the topics we are learning, do a little bit of homework every night, and nothing seems to help my sinking grade.

I know I can make a B in the class, but it hurts me to see a science class go down on my transcript with a B. My first semester grade was a B.

The only units I understood were Stoichiometry and Periodic Trends. I found that Stoich and Per Trends just clicked with me. I actually explained the whole Per Trends unit to my class on our first day of learning it. Stoich and Per Trends are why I have an 89.9 in the class right now.

I have no friends in my hour and the teacher is too busy to help students after school.

Biology on the other hand..... I get extremely excited just at the thought of it (more specifically Anatomy and Genetics). I cannot wait to contribute my research and I hope I can make a difference in Genetics. I have taken an interest in Anatomy since I was a small child and an interest in Genetics since 7th grade.

I know I will run into Chemistry for years and years to come and that is why I want to like it. Sorry for the length of this

My questions
How can I learn to enjoy Chemistry?
How can I not struggle through it?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people have that one class that puts them to sleep. Inorganic Chem never did it for me either (granted I didn't take it until college), but once I got to Organic all started to "click" for me. Then moving on, I've adored Biochem and every chem I've taken since.

You may never feel a spark for Chem, but do your best to understand what you're doing. Use outside resources -- Khan Academy, Freelance Teacher, etc. If your teacher can't provide time outside class, still catch him or her right after class and explain that it's a bit of struggle for you. Ask for their suggestions, they've probably got some. If you have friends taking another section and they're doing well, ask for their time to help tutor you. If you have no friends in this section, you could still ask a strong student for help. There's also a lot of paid online tutoring available if you have the finances for that.

It won't last forever. And you're only in high school; believe me, the B you get here will be a distant memory by the time you're applying to medical school. If you had a D I'd be worried about your comprehension of the material, but an 89.9 doesn't exactly say you're bombing the class.

And while your HS grades will affect getting into college they'll have nothing to do with an eventual med school application when you get there. You'll be taking Chem again in college, with new professors and a different support system that may change your feelings about the class (or at least the way you approach the material).

This site has a forum specfically for HS students, which you may find helpful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/hsdn.420/

I agree with everything stated above.^^^ I really disliked physics. I found the class boring and I had to study more to do well. I sought out help from my professor, a tutor, and my classmates. As I began to understand more, I also began to enjoy it more.

Inorganic Chemistry is a necessary evil which helps to prepare you for Organic Chem and BioChem, which in my opinion are a lot more interesting and applicable to medicine. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone has their up's and down's - just power through.

"It won't last forever. And you're only in high school; believe me, the B you get here will be a distant memory by the time you're applying to medical school. If you had a D I'd be worried about your comprehension of the material, but an 89.9 doesn't exactly say you're bombing the class."

I would love to have an A in the class, but the tests are what kills me. I typically get C's on the tests, which is why I believe I don't truly understand the materiel. As you can guess Stoich (A) and Per Trends (B) were the only non C's I got. My class typically averages in the mid 90's, so this feels like a hit at my self esteem.

I won't be touching AP Chemistry. For now I guess I will count my lucky stars since I don't struggle with math and hope this comes to my aid in Honors Physics next year. I will also try some of the suggestions to get through the class.

So my disdain for Chemistry won't keep me out a career in Genetics?

Thank you for suggesting the student thread. I will check that out.

I'm a Junior in highschool who also disliked chemistry at first. I was fairly apathetic the first semester of my sophomore year about the class (e.g boring lectures, boring teacher, etc.). That all changed after I didn't do so well on my midterm—it pretty much "shocked" me into shape so to speak for the rest of my academic career. It was great to see the reaction from my teacher after I started getting consistent high A's in the class for the rest of the year.

I wouldn't suggest that you fail a test by any means to let the stress kick you back into shape, but it is important to recognize the sheer importance of STEM classes in highschool now so that you get a good grasp of the material as it could haunt you in college later (assuming medicine is the goal).

When really flagging I borrow a method from Arnold: I develop a very clear picture of my mind of what I want, and then resolve to do whatever it takes.
I do the same. It clearly worked for Arnold, I hope it works for me :).
*pictures an AMG e63*—oh wait, it's taboo to value materialistic possessions on SDN :p

Watch youtube and Kahn Academy!!

I had the same exact problem in Pre-Calc. My average for the first semester was even something like a 74% and now in my second semester I have a 95% just from watching Kahn videos. Some classes are just hard to concentrate on but that doesn't mean you're incapable of understanding the material.

Hello,

I am a junior taking chem this year and I honestly feel really lucky to have a teacher that writes/lectures extremely straight-forward and explains everything easily. I would suggest powering through. If you have a "borderline" grade maybe ask for extra credit or something to fix it up a little?

Having a small study group helps too! Don't lose hope and give in b/c that is me in Calculus right now. It isn't over until you give up! Also, have a positive mindset. Instead of, "Ugh, I hate this so much" A "growth-mindset" looks at it with "I am struggling, but I will continue to give it my best effort".

I used to hate science in general, but since freshman year, I've learn to enjoy it because I've kept an open mind and put an effort into actually learning the material.

Good luck! :D

"That all changed after I didn't do so well on my midterm—it pretty much "shocked" me into shape so to speak for the rest of my academic career. It was great to see the reaction from my teacher after I started getting consistent high A's in the class for the rest of the year"

Funny story-When I took my Honors Chemistry midterm in January I got a C- and was dancing when I saw that show up on my computer. I know its sad, but I honestly thought it was going to be lower. I do fear what Inorganic, Organic, and Biochem will be like in college.

"Watch youtube and Kahn Academy!!"

YouTube hasn't really helped me, but I will try Khan Academy. I used it a lot to help me skip 8th grade Pre-Algebra a few years ago. Thank you!

Also! it really helps if you ask questions during class about the problems you get wrong or things you don't understand during class. Not only does the teacher go over the concept but it also helps you concentrate a little more if you feel involved in the class

"Also! it really helps if you ask questions during class about the problems you get wrong or things you don't understand during class. Not only does the teacher go over the concept but it also helps you concentrate a little more if you feel involved in the class"

Noted. Any tips on overcoming the deer in headlights trying to keep up with the lecture? I sit there just kind of emotionless trying to process everything the teacher is saying, I get so wrapped up that questions become the last thing on my mind. I do this because I am trying to make sense of everything. I am very detail oriented and I am discovering that this has been my downfall and contributing factor to success. It has helped me excel in Math, Anatomy/Biology, and Spanish, but kills me in Engineering, Programming, and I guess now this.

Hello everyone. I am currently a Sophomore in high school, I actually want to be a research scientist, but this thread seemed like a good place to gather opinions.

So this year I am taking Honors Chemistry (Inorganic) and it is absolutely horrible! I feel like I am watching paint dry on a wall listening to these 90 minute lectures every other day. (My school is on block schedule.) I really don't want to hate Chemistry, but it has been a struggle for me.

Despite how boring I find the subject, I can power through the lectures and not zone out. This doesn't do much for me, I still for whatever reason just don't retain the information. I try to watch videos on the topics we are learning, do a little bit of homework every night, and nothing seems to help my sinking grade.

I know I can make a B in the class, but it hurts me to see a science class go down on my transcript with a B. My first semester grade was a B.

The only units I understood were Stoichiometry and Periodic Trends. I found that Stoich and Per Trends just clicked with me. I actually explained the whole Per Trends unit to my class on our first day of learning it. Stoich and Per Trends are why I have an 89.9 in the class right now.

I have no friends in my hour and the teacher is too busy to help students after school.

Biology on the other hand..... I get extremely excited just at the thought of it (more specifically Anatomy and Genetics). I cannot wait to contribute my research and I hope I can make a difference in Genetics. I have taken an interest in Anatomy since I was a small child and an interest in Genetics since 7th grade.

I know I will run into Chemistry for years and years to come and that is why I want to like it. Sorry for the length of this

My questions
How can I learn to enjoy Chemistry?
How can I not struggle through it?

When I took inorganic chemistry, I fell in love with it. I was intrigued by the class I would spend time in the library reading chapter further ahead on my own time, watching videos, and going to the professor/TA and having discussions about what we learned in the class. It was something that was natural..I didn't have to FORCE myself to like it or ask people "how can i enjoy chemistry?".

The answer to your questions is pretty simple. You don't have any interest in Chemistry. You're in the wrong major and should explore other ones out there. I'm sure you will find a one that lights up your passion and makes you excited to go to class. Personally, I find science/human body so intriguing which is why I planned to attend medical school. I wish you the best because everyone goes through the journey in finding out what they enjoy. Cheers.

When I took inorganic chemistry, I fell in love with it. I was intrigued by the class I would spend time in the library reading chapter further ahead on my own time, watching videos, and going to the professor/TA and having discussions about what we learned in the class. It was something that was natural..I didn't have to FORCE myself to like it or ask people "how can i enjoy chemistry?".

The answer to your questions is pretty simple. You don't have any interest in Chemistry. You're in the wrong major and should explore other ones out there. I'm sure you will find a one that lights up your passion and makes you excited to go to class. Personally, I find science/human body so intriguing which is why I planned to attend medical school. I wish you the best because everyone goes through the journey in finding out what they enjoy. Cheers.

Thank you for your reply. I am still in high school actually, but I know I need to think about what I want to do in the future since that will impact the colleges I should consider. I don't really see myself with any other options except for science. I don't enjoy History, I absolutely hated Psychology when I took it, I don't enjoy Honors Literature at all, and I really don't enjoy social sciences as I am not a people person. I liked Economics and my Honors Spanish classes, but I could never picture myself doing something like that. My favorite classes right now are Anatomy and Physiology and Honors Algebra 2.

The reasoning behind the, "How can I learn to enjoy Chemistry?" is because I refuse to succumb to the belief that this subject is useless, not geared towards me, or something I will never get. I have a decent math aptitude and it has helped me in Chemistry, but it is also making me wonder why I am struggling so much with the CONCEPTS. There has also been times where my math skills are useless since I don't understand the concepts. I refuse to believe the "I am a Biology person".

So are you right about Chemistry not being for me? Probably, but I have realized (partially from you guys on here) that it is something I just have to make it through and not let stop me. So for now I will just have to get through this and that will be the end of my HS Chem requirement. I will not touch AP Chemistry.

In other news MP 3 ended and I got a 90.2. I swear this class is like Psychological warfare. I don't know how I will keep that at an A for Sem 2. I talked to my A&P teacher and she said that she had the same issues I did with Honors Chem and college Chem. She also told me that some people just aren't ready to learn it yet and that it didn't click for her until she had to teach it.

I have taken such an emotional beating from this class. It gets so discouraging. Hoping Orgo and Biochem in the future are better.