i HATE medical microbiology!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Hugh Hefner

Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
arghhhh!!! studyin for a test right now.....basically noddin off every 5 sec's.

who cares about all these diff bacteria and every f****in little detail about em and all the diseases they cause :mad:

the worst thing is - i know im gonna hafta re-learn this $hit all over again in med school. :(

has anybody out there taken a course like this and actually enjoyed it as an undergrad???

me thinks its time for a beer :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I took a Microbiology class, and a medical microbiology class last quarter. I loved them!

Of course, I'm a Micro major, so I'm kinda biased. :p

I took it as a grad student and I liked it. The key is to make it interesting. Find a group of people and as long as your are not to close to a test turn quizing eachother on it into a drinking game. For me this helped the info stick.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain. I'm studying (or not studying) for a molecular genetics test tommorow. The book flat-out sucks, the figure is usually about 5 pages from where it is being discussed in the text. The author will start by considering old experiments (from 60's and 70's) and then usually conclude with something to the effect of 'they were about half right and here is some current data that is correct.' Way to waste my freaking time (in case you can't tell I'm good at that already). Peace.

I took a medical micro class last semester and loved it! I'm fascinated by infectious diseases. :D

I'm in microbio right now. I'd be fine with it, except they've got us learning all the genetic details of everything. transcription this, attenuation of that, and after about 2 minutes i'm lost and not caring. I feel your pain.....let me out!

I know your pain, yet get used to it. Micro and the related pharm are the bread and butter of medicine. Without bugs and drugs we'd all be out of jobs.

Hang in there. It'll be more exciting when those bugs are oozing out of a patient's orifice and you're told to culture it. :eek:
:clap:

Ditto, I am taking it now and its very interesting. There are some boring lectures but for the most part its really good. I guess it all depends on the lecturers.

I hated micro when i was studying it - we had a visiting immunologist prof. who taught it at a grad school level. 1 week before the exam we were handed a 45 page packet of details on every classification of microorganism. She would pick out 10 obscure facts and that was our exam. I remember walking out after that feeling like a doctor. I've completely forgotten everything though. the only thing i remotely remember is gram +/- (but i don't remember which has a capsule) and how much fun it was to grow things in lab.

I took it as an undergrad and loved it as well, but as with what other people have said, microbiology was my major and I also realliy liked infectious disease.

Culturing the little buggers in lab was fun. I also enjoyed the final experiment of the lab...which was to identify the 2-3 unknowns of a nutrient broth. Good times. Lecture was remarkably boring though and way too much memorization for the course to be of considerable use to me at that stage in my education (forgot material within a few days/weeks of test).

wow you must really hate that course!! I have been told I am going to hate my microbiology classes.I think the worst part about them will be the time factor and all that factual stuff to remember about those "things that ails us".:D
I am actually looking forward to pathogenic microbiology...but then again I am a Clinical Science/Applied Microbiology major.
(i have all the links to all the microbiology sites added to my favorites) :oops:
There is such a broad base of knowledge to be learned from micro!
Once you start to see microbiology's "relevance" to the study of medicine you probably won't hate it so much.;)
Good Luck!!!

I just got out of my Micro lab and have lecture in 2 hours. I am enjoying the material, but the class is so easy that I don't feel like I'm learning anything. This morning we all had to obtain rectal bacterial samples with a sterile swab. Is this a common practice in Micro labs or does our curriculum deviate from the norm?

Originally posted by burs0028
I just got out of my Micro lab and have lecture in 2 hours. I am enjoying the material, but the class is so easy that I don't feel like I'm learning anything. This morning we all had to obtain rectal bacterial samples with a sterile swab. Is this a common practice in Micro labs or does our curriculum deviate from the norm?
It is in fact normal practice. Who doesn't want to know what lives in their a$$?

And capsul has nothing to do with Gm-stain.

I don't understand why all the people with no interest in micro would take medical micro as an undergrad knowing that it would all be repeated in med school.

Normal practice? We never got NEAR our butts in micro lab. :)

I really enjoyed med bac when I took it last year. The class was ALL exams and memorization. THAT I can handle. What I hate is having to give presentations and write papers. I'm taking a wimpy, two credit emerging infectious diseases class now, and I hate it because guess what I have to do? I have to give a 20 minute presentation tomorrow. If it were an exam, I'd be asleep by now, but since it's a dumb presentation, I have to waste time finding pictures and putting slides together. I HATE presentations!!! :mad:

I guess that's because I'm so lazy now. :oops:

Whooohooo! Senioritis!! :clap:

I really loved that class. I hated platelets and blood disorders...