I hate my job!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsupdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation -- thanks for listening to my whining...

I am working at a job (non-scientific) that I hate, but which is paying the bills and saving a lot of money for med school. I'm married and my wife is a student so I can't really quit at this point. Every day is just painful for me, and you can't imagine what goes through my head at work (number of weeks left until I start med school, number of days left, I've even calculated the number of minutes). I don't have any interviews yet (only good news so far is a UCSF secondary), and am so stressed that you can't imagine. I received a rejection from Hopkins and all of most of my applications were complete mid-September.

Now after all that here is my question. Should I just assume that all hope is lost since most schools have probably already reviewed my application and not invited me for an interview? I have a 30 on the MCAT, and have working in a non-science field for the past three years. Everyone here seems to be getting numerous interviews. Should I just give up all hope at this point and do something to prepare myself better for next year?? Perhaps I should get a lab job to show my interest in science again. Is anyone applying years after doing something science related. Are you having any luck? I'm assuming that this is the problem, but who knows.

I know that this is a rambling message, but I just needed to get this out.

Members don't see this ad.

You should definately check out the site oldpremeds.net or .com one of them, I am not sure.

sra

I am working in financial services again, my old field, just to make the money to pay for my applications. I finished everything and took the August MCAT. I'll take it again in April to boost my numbers, but other than that it's just me and this great financial industry (I live in NYC ...).

I am grateful for the money, and the work is easy enough for me, but I really miss my lab work, and the research projects I have been working on. I don't care about earnings seasons, or P/E ratios, etc. I have been sitting in on a Biochem class which the prof. let me do. :clap:

Also, I am planing on more volunteer work, etc. The problem for me is that people say: you're too overqualified, when I apply for hospital/lab positions and even as a volunteer people often think I AM the Dr in charge. :rolleyes:

So, I figure I'll just refinance my mortage now that I'm working again; try and just do a good job and focus on the future.

You are not alone!! Believe me. Check out OldPremeds.Net and you will feel better!

;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys,

I definitely feel your pain. It's hard for me to get up every morning and drag myself to go to work. I'm doing it just because of the money and the benefits, as my spouse is starting a business. My current pay is great! But money really cannot give you the motivation to go on everyday doing stuff that you hate to do, or that you do not care about at all. I'm counting the months until I can quit! (Not quite the minutes like you whatsupdoc, b/c I figured that the large number of minutes would seem like a gazillion years.) :laugh: Almost everyday, I feel like my time at work is just a waste of time, until I remind myself that I need the money. I've been working in a non-scientific field for four years.

I have found my non-trad status and current non-medical profession have made my interviewers more interested rather than scared away. With so much competition, it's really good to be different!

Do not give up hope yet. How many schools did you apply to? I applied to tons of schools of various ranges just to make sure I get in. Don't worry about Hopkins, my stats are decent but I also was rejected right away. So many other SDN-ers with decent credentials have also been rejected there.

You said, "Perhaps I should get a lab job to show my interest in science again." IMHO, you really do not need to do that. Just make sure that you volunteer in a medically-related field. You can still keep your job (if you want to) while doing that. That's what I did and it has worked. Hang on there...!!!!!!

I think that it is way too early to be overly concerned about your status. Many/Most of us do not have interview invites yet. I have only one interview from my state school. I will not worry much about the situtation until the end of the year.

whatsupdoc, woolie, and jalan2

I feel your pain guys! I am working in a job I hate just to make money. I actually left a job I liked in May, because I knew I could make three times as much money here. I'm making a lot of money, and I'm saving a lot of money, but I'm wondering if it was worth it.

I'm glad to hear you're having success jalan2. I was worried that working in a non-scientific, non-medical field might hurt me. But I just couldn't pass up the money. I mean I really hate my job, but I have a chance to have no debt and have all the tuition for my state school saved if I stay here. That's really tough to pass up. But I still wonder if I made the right decision.

I have asked my pre-med advisor about this and he has said often that schools do not expect people who are already working in jobs with families, etc., to drop everything to work in a low-paying lab job, or study for the MCAT full-time or whatever. He actually advises against even quitting your job to go to school full-time (ok, I did that but I don't regret it for a second!).

This post-bacc school has alot of non-trads and apparently also has high acceptance rates to med school so I guess I have to believe he's right ... altho in my darker more paranoid moments I have my doubts ...

I'm glad to hear other peoples' stories, it definitely makes me feel alot better!