I hate O-Chem!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImDaStyle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my final grades back today. I got mostly A's except for O-Chem!!! I got C+... I thought I would end up B- or B, since I got A on the fourth test...B's on test 2 and 3...C on test 1....Probably I blew off my final...I don't know...But, I didn't think the final was that hard...Do you think I should retake it? I'm planning to take O-Chem II next semester at Xavier.. Anyone knows any good professor who curves the grade, gives extra credits, etc? It's kinda depressing...I'm planning to take Calculus in summer...I don't know yet...do you think if I take it in summer it would be easier? >__<;;; argh!!! I managed to get an A in pre-calculus this semester, btw...

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my final grades back today. I got mostly A's except for O-Chem!!! I got C+... I thought I would end up B- or B, since I got A on the fourth test...B's on test 2 and 3...C on test 1....Probably I blew off my final...I don't know...But, I didn't think the final was that hard...Do you think I should retake it? I'm planning to take O-Chem II next semester at Xavier.. Anyone knows any good professor who curves the grade, gives extra credits, etc? It's kinda depressing...I'm planning to take Calculus in summer...I don't know yet...do you think if I take it in summer it would be easier? >__<;;; argh!!! I managed to get an A in pre-calculus this semester, btw...
Orgo 2 curves aren't generous no matter where you take it because Orgo 1 has weeded out the worst students. Try searching ratemyprofessors.com before you take a class, but even the best Orgo professors will always have students who fail.

Orgo 2 curves aren't generous no matter where you take it because Orgo 1 has weeded out the worst students. Try searching ratemyprofessors.com before you take a class, but even the best Orgo professors will always have students who fail.

Definitely true. When I had my successful run at Organic I, I finished with 829/1000 points. The class average was 450/1000, thus the professor added 300 points to everyone's grade, 1129/1000 FTW - A.

During my successful run at Organic II, I finished with an 849/1000, professor gave me a B even though the class average was around a 690/1000.

Members don't see this ad :)
You sound smart so you *can* succeed in O-Chem. Retake Orgo 1, and *do not* take Orgo 2 next semester, you aren't ready and it's very hard to get an A in Orgo 2 if you don't do well in Orgo 1.

Definitely true. When I had my successful run at Organic I, I finished with 829/1000 points. The class average was 450/1000, thus the professor added 300 points to everyone's grade, 1129/1000 FTW - A.

During my successful run at Organic II, I finished with an 849/1000, professor gave me a B even though the class average was around a 690/1000.
Wow, that's too nice! what college did you go to?

I hate O-Chem too. It was my worst subject in school. You just don't want to get behind in O-Chem. If you fall behind, it's like a snowball effect. It's hard to catch up. And if you are taking 15 units that same quarter or semester and working, all I can say is good luck!

Anyone here know if you study O-Chem in Pharmacy School for the PharmD degree?

Wow, that's too nice! what college did you go to?

Long Island University. The professor who taught this class was a new professor, and was very nervous when lecturing so I'm assuming that a good majority of the class didn't pick up any information from him, or didn't do the homework problems.

He didn't want to have the majority of the class failing on his first attempt in teaching a class so he made a pretty big curve.

Long Island University. The professor who taught this class was a new professor, and was very nervous when lecturing so I'm assuming that a good majority of the class didn't pick up any information from him, or didn't do the homework problems.

He didn't want to have the majority of the class failing on his first attempt in teaching a class so he made a pretty big curve.

yea he did for the first time teaching the class, but the next time he taught orgo II in spring 2008, the class average was a D, I had him, hated him, thank god he is now on probation

if you dont mind me asking, why did u chose touro if u went to LIU for the pre-reqs

Anyone here know if you study O-Chem in Pharmacy School for the PharmD degree?

From what I hear, the organic you will use in PS is in the med chem classes. Even then, I've been told you do a quick review of organic at the beginning of the term to refresh your memory.

yea he did for the first time teaching the class, but the next time he taught orgo II in spring 2008, the class average was a D, I had him, hated him, thank god he is now on probation

if you dont mind me asking, why did u chose touro if u went to LIU for the pre-reqs

I'm not talking about Professor Jiang, I'm talking about Professor Gough. Both of them were new professors.

I started at LIU in Fall 2005, I didn't pass Organic Chem in time so I didn't make it into the Fall 2007 Entering Class at LIU.

Then in 2008, LIU went the PharmCAS route and competition skyrocketed. Didn't make it into LIU for 2008 but made it into Touro for 2008.

That and the class size at Touro is smaller, and the commute into Brooklyn is horrible from Long Island. Most of the LIRR trains go to Penn Station (Manhattan) rather than Flatbush Avenue (Brooklyn), so if you miss a train going to Brooklyn, you are not getting there for at least another 1/2 hour.

Forget leaving school at night, if I leave from LIU at 8PM, I'm not gonna be home until 10:30PM.

Driving is another story, no parking at all in Brooklyn. There is NO FAST ROUTE of getting to that neighborhood of Brooklyn at all.

For Harlem, there are many routes of getting there and if you run into traffic in one place, you can audible out and take another highway.