I hate schooooolllll!!!!!

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in high school and I just hate school. The fact of going 5 days a week for 7 hours straight with bull **** classes. AHHHHHH. I am a good student and want to be a dentist but right now lack work ethic, maybe due to the fact of how high schools set up is making me not want to try, because in college it seems like having classes periodically throughout the week would be awesome. Especially if I took 1 class every winter and 1 every summer throughout my undergrad, would college be simple for me as long as I prioritize and would I have a lot of time for relaxing?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a case of early onset senioritis to me. :)

As for your question, If you lack work ethic now, what makes you think you can all of a sudden turn that around? I'm not in college yet, but I've found that just because you like the information doesn't mean that you instantly have great work ethic.

My advice to you is: Play the game,you can't change the rules of high school. Also, learning how to study effectively is one of the best things (academically speaking) that you can get from your time at high school.

I am a junior in high school and I just hate school. The fact of going 5 days a week for 7 hours straight with bull **** classes. AHHHHHH. I am a good student and want to be a dentist but right now lack work ethic, maybe due to the fact of how high schools set up is making me not want to try, because in college it seems like having classes periodically throughout the week would be awesome. Especially if I took 1 class every winter and 1 every summer throughout my undergrad, would college be simple for me as long as I prioritize and would I have a lot of time for relaxing?

Yes and no. One day in the not-too-distant future you will look fondly on the days of 35hr/week commitments. The good news is that college coursework is generally more interesting and more flexible, so you might be more motivated. The bad news is that you'll still have to take classes you don't like, you won't have the structure to keep you on track, and there will be tons of distractions, so you might become less motivated. I've seen it both ways. It's on you to determine which path you take (and some people end up taking both). Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The worst news: professional schools - whether medicine, dentistry or law - are much more like high school than college...

To be honest, I worked harder my senior year than freshman year of college.

You should be enjoying the 4+ years you have before dental school...

No, seriously.

Whatever it is you have right now, enjoy it.

Do what you must in high school to ensure yourself a spot in a decent college. That said, I put in very little effort during high school and turned out alright. I suggest you join a sport or club that interests you, it'll give you something to look forward to each day.

College is a different beast entirely. Yes, you aren't sitting in class all the time but that doesn't mean that you're out partying regularly (at least if you have plans for professional school). I probably spent as much time (or more) in the library as I spent in lecture. The same can be said for the first two years of med school (at least where I will be attending). Lectures are Monday-Friday 8-12, the rest of my time will be in the library studying.

Since you've got a LONG road ahead of you enjoy your time in high school. Don't kill yourself studying. Pick up a sport/club/hobby. Be social.

I don't know anymore. My laziness will be the end of me :(. For example I have a quiz for Bio on Tuesday on the immune system and a quiz on Wednesday in bio for 200 pages of a book. I haven't studied for the quiz yet, and I haven't read a page in the book yet. Why can't I be motivated, why can't I be hard working. I have so much potential but I just never feel like doing **** aghhhhhh

I've always hated school, not because of having to do homework, but more so the people and the BS I see everyday. I'm a senior now and have really come to the realization (for me at least) that my life will really matter later in college and as I start to build my career, and trying to prove yourself in High School is really not going to do anything, it doesn't guarantee you anything in the real world and going to Harvard or Yale doesn't mean you will suceed. Now I am just trying to have as much fun and freedom as I can right now. I have some serious observations that I've accumulated over the years and I thought I was the only one who saw this but a lot of my friends have seen the same thing.

Oddly enough, this is the hardest schedule I've had (3 AP classes, 1 honors class) and I have a 4.6 . For Calc, I don't do the hw until weeks later and get A's on every test, same with my Molecular Genetics class. It also helps I have been going from 7-12 the last two years.

Just trug through it. Have fun now. Party. It will only make it better.

My 2 cents.

I've always hated school, not because of having to do homework, but more so the people and the BS I see everyday. I'm a senior now and have really come to the realization (for me at least) that my life will really matter later in college and as I start to build my career, and trying to prove yourself in High School is really not going to do anything, it doesn't guarantee you anything in the real world and going to Harvard or Yale doesn't mean you will suceed. Now I am just trying to have as much fun and freedom as I can right now. I have some serious observations that I've accumulated over the years and I thought I was the only one who saw this but a lot of my friends have seen the same thing.

Oddly enough, this is the hardest schedule I've had (3 AP classes, 1 honors class) and I have a 4.6 . For Calc, I don't do the hw until weeks later and get A's on every test, same with my Molecular Genetics class. It also helps I have been going from 7-12 the last two years.

Just trug through it. Have fun now. Party. It will only make it better.

My 2 cents.

The bolded x1000.

Warning: Slightly irrelevant rant ahead.

For me, my hatred towards high school rested in the fact that, ultimately, I saw 99% of it as pointless. The material was simplified to the point that anyone with an average IQ, with some effort, could get As (note: at my school, over 30% of your grade was based on if you handed in homework + assignments). Worse, the majority of it was irrelevant to what I wanted/still want to do (ie, why the f do I have to learn the details of how rocks are formed when I know that I never want a career in that?). Plus, the majority of my peers were incredibly immature and just overall clueless. I mean, I get that everyone has their own learning (mastering material) and developmental pace (maturity, figuring out what they do/don't want to do, etc); but, that's the point. The school system, at least the public ones near where I live, force everyone into the same box and assume that everyone will fit. Instead, you have people either screaming to get out or barely holding their own. Sure, there are a lot of kids who are just the right size for that box; but, God forbid you be too little or too big and you are screwed. And nobody will care, either; as long as you pass those stupid standardized tests, it doesn't matter if your educational needs are being met. The school gets their funding, the government is allowed to delude themselves into thinking they have a great/working system and a whole group of students gets thrown under a bus.

My first college class was the light at the end of the tunnel for me. The material actually made me think, petty social BS didn't matter, the professors treated you like capable human beings (versus unruly children who need to be policed), the material was actually somewhat relevant to what I wanted to do, etc, etc. In that first class, and the classes after, I got/have gotten all As; this is in contrast to my high school record, which is littered with Cs and low Bs (though a high SAT and somewhat interesting ECs, which were my saving grace). I feel like I had been drowning for years and was finally able to get my head above water to breath. To me, the difference is night and day.

Tl;dr: High school is BS. I hated/hate it. College courses = <3. Your experience may vary, as I can only speak for my school and those around it.

I had a B average in high school, got suspended a bunch of times, participated heavily in the "parents aren't home lets party!" parties..I also thought I was going to be a doctor even though I had 0 work ethic. When I got to college I pulled straight A's my first semester despite my advisor telling me not to take bio and chem and calc all in the same semester. I buckled down.. although I was still immature. It took most of freshmen year and getting in trouble with the RAs and other dorm personel for me to finally grow up. Anyway I made it to med school first time I applied and again most of my first year I was still in college mode as far as partying/drinking etc. Now I'm an ms2 and I have become more mature again and def not in the college mode I once was. Moral of the story is that who u are now doesn't necessarily mean who u'll be the same person a few years down the road you change even if u think its impossible and never will happen. If you asked me 4 years ago if I'd still be out on the prowl every Thursday Friday Saturday looking to get wasted and pick up girls I'd say of course what can be more fun.. now.. well.. ok its still fun haha no but I don't do it anymore.