I have a few questions for neurologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeurologyIsInteresting

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a few questions for neurologists/future neurologists, so can you guys fill these out for me?

1. How do you think neurology and being a neurologist is going to change in the next 20 years?

2. What's your favorite thing about being a neurologist?

3. What's the worst thing about being a neurologist?

4. How has neurology changed overtime from your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump. MS3 here. also interested in these answers. thanks

Reactions: 2 users
Also, neurosurgeons work too
Neurosurgery is a very different career and they have their own forum here. Neurosurgeons have more in common with general surgeons or orthopedic surgeons than they do with neurologists.

Hello, I have a few questions for neurologists/future neurologists, so can you guys fill these out for me?

1. How do you think neurology and being a neurologist is going to change in the next 20 years?
Med student with an interest in neurology. Much of what I say in terms of timeline/chronicity may be wrong, but hopefully I can provide you with a (very) general picture.

Neurology has already changed quite drastically within the past few decades. New diseases have been discovered (as in most fields) and so are new treatments. We have come up with new treatments to manage multiple sclerosis (one of the main focus of neurology) and help patients extend remission and limit relapse, most notably Glatiramer, and new drugs are still being approved. A major step in neurodegenerative changes was L-dopa/carbidopa that essentially reversed Parkinson's Disease in patients in regards to symptoms (for a limited amount of years); furthermore, deep-brain stimulation was another big advancement for PD. However, not much progress (or as large of a progress) has been made in terms of treatment since then (please correct me if I'm wrong, neurologists). In terms of stroke, tPA "clot-buster" if given within the right time frame (hours) essentially cures that person (I say this with great caution, because there are many limitations). Stroke reversal is an area of great interest because currently, and I think this will be an exciting topic to follow in years to come as it is highly debilitating and there's not much we can do in terms of reversing the damage (I know there are multi-institutional research studies regarding stem-cell transplant). Lastly, in terms of cancer, I encourage you to look at PD-1 inhibitors (just wiki it real fast). All of the advancements I mentioned have been made within the past 30 or so years--and have drastically improved the lives of innumerable patients! I sprinkled in some ideas of how the field of neurology can advance, use your imagination for the rest (because these advancements required some serious thinking and imagination)!

Perhaps the other medical students or neurologists can answer their likes and dislikes, and their opinions.