I haven't even started my AMCAS, is it hopeless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am i so much further behind than anyone else? I was sort of holding off putting all my eforts into the MCAT. Now that that is over and I think i did poorly, i' so unmotivated to even start... ugh Am i in really big trouble now?

Members don't see this ad.

You know what I wish I had done? I should've submitted my AMCAS with a few schools and then after getting my MCAT scores back in October, add schools if they were good.

I thought I was prepared for this August's tests but....anyways

It's not too late to submit AMCAS. I know people who haven't started either so don't feel bad. STOP STRESSING! It frustrates me when intelligent people doubt themselves or don't have faith in themselves. This means YOU!

Psycho Doctor said:
Am i so much further behind than anyone else? I was sort of holding off putting all my eforts into the MCAT. Now that that is over and I think i did poorly, i' so unmotivated to even start... ugh Am i in really big trouble now?

Take some advice from someone who waited till October to apply last year...Don't WAIT!!!

If you don't make it in this year, you still learn a lot and feel more prepared the next time around. How were you doing in the actual old MCAT practice tests? I found those were very indicative of the real test-I scored the same on the real one.

It doesn't hurt you to try, you can always retake the MCAT in April and reapply.

You are a little late to be applying, but not that bad. Send your transcripts to AMCAS right now, don't delay, and if you don't already have letters of recommendation-ask your teachers to write them now so they'll be ready to be sent out when you get secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Csv321 said:
You know what I wish I had done? I should've submitted my AMCAS with a few schools and then after getting my MCAT scores back in October, add schools if they were good.

Thats some good advice.

Yikes...October??!! Well i don't intend to wait that long. I was planning to spend all next week doing it...i guess i'm not going to make it home before school starts again. :(

My practice tests basically went up as i prepared more...generally from 30-36. The August MCAT looked like a foreign language completely different and so much more difficult than the practices.

I have asked for the LOR but haven't followed thru to see if they were actually written yet and will request my transcript to be sent out tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Yes that does sound like good advice. But some of my schools have early deadline...before i get back the scores. :( And i thought i was prepared too but apparently noit. The only saving grace is i have yet to find a single person who thought it was easy or even close to the practice tests.

And thanks for the vote of confidence!

Psycho Doctor said:
Yes that does sound like good advice. But some of my schools have early deadline...before i get back the scores. :( And i thought i was prepared too but apparently noit. The only saving grace is i have yet to find a single person who thought it was easy or even close to the practice tests.

And thanks for the vote of confidence!

Those early deadlines are for the AMCAS application. Just get that done ASAP and you'll be in great shape. Stop putting yourself down. MCAT scores in the 30-36 are solid. You'll be in great shape to apply. Everyone feels like they bombed the MCAT when they leave. Just focus on AMCAS now. LORs are already requested, so that's good news. You really are in great shape to apply.

Jason

Psycho! Cmon buddy! If you would just finish and submit the damn application, you wouldnt have to worry so much and make posts like this! :luck:

SanDiegoSOD said:
Psycho! Cmon buddy! If you would just finish and submit the damn application, you wouldnt have to worry so much and make posts like this! :luck:

haha no kidding...but i'm hopeless and a really terrible procratinator. :(

Jason110 said:
Those early deadlines are for the AMCAS application. Just get that done ASAP and you'll be in great shape. Stop putting yourself down. MCAT scores in the 30-36 are solid. You'll be in great shape to apply. Everyone feels like they bombed the MCAT when they leave. Just focus on AMCAS now. LORs are already requested, so that's good news. You really are in great shape to apply.

Jason

oh really? that's a relief..i thought it was for the secondaries!! wow i have more time?? awesome!!

and i'd take the practice scores but i know i didn't get tha ton the real thing... :(

one of my friends got into washu last year after applying post-mcat like you did... i don't think applying "late" makes too much of a difference (as long as you apply before the actual deadline of course) except that they don't have the option to keep putting away your application, so in effect you get only one chance to impress the adcom. so if you stack up well against most applicants, i believe you'll be fine.

GET OFF SDN. FINISH AMCAS NOW!

Seriously, you're doing okay. Just relax and stay away from this website til you get your AMCAS submitted. I think this website just makes people more neurotic and is way too addictive.

Best of luck, PsychoDoc! :luck:

FenixFyre said:

Seriously, you're doing okay. Just relax and stay away from this website til you get your AMCAS submitted. I think this website just makes people more neurotic and is way too addictive.

Yes, work on your PS. Just write, if you get writers block write anyway. Just write a PS; it doesn't matter if it's the most terrible thing you've ever written. When you finish, that's your first draft, and you have a starting point. Build on that, cut away stuff that doesn't make sense or sounds stupid. Don't come back here until you finish that first draft. Get your friends and family to read it and give you suggestions. After that write another draft. Get more suggestions, see if people on SDN are willing to read it and give you more suggestions. Rewrite it again, get more suggestions. Once you feel like you have something you like, see if other people like it too. If so, send it out, and THEN, come back here and agonize over secondaries with the rest of us :).

Good luck, you're going to be fine :thumbup:

FenixFyre said:

i'd stay away except i need the awesome advice you all give. :D

ok i'm going to work on my PS now. wish me luck!

as a disclaimer i have to tell you that everyone gets discouraged. no matter the dream or the career. you obviously have to persevere.

but dont do this with your mind in a million different places. the application process is expensive. if you are truly set on studying your brains out next year and you are willing to spend lots of time to put together the best application possible (including all essays and secondaries) and researching the schools and honing your interview techniques, then get you have to jump on it now. esp, with your transcript(s). send them from all colleges (uni and jc). then make sure your letter writer knows that you need their letters. my proff was always telling me that he would turn it in and never did. i had to send my letters without his. try to get everything in a month early because things rarely ever arrive on time. esp since oustide mail sometimes takes a two weeks to get through a school's mail system.

also, get trusted people (preferably dr's or people on adcoms) to proofread your ps